Reload this Page >

The "The 13 Oct 21 FT 'Like' Feature - [now restored to prior version]" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "The 13 Oct 21 FT 'Like' Feature - [now restored to prior version]" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
We need the old like system back. The tracking under the user is kinda nifty but I hate that extra box floating in between posts.

Broke what didn't need to be fixed.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:03 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Did you know?

FlyerTalk members work very hard to provide helpful travel- and points-related posts for these web forums.

Can you help us?

One easy way you could help us is by fixing some of the long-standing feature requests, usability issues and outright bugs that plague the site, instead of shoving out yet another annoying UI tweak that nobody asked for. This would show us that you actually care about investing in improvements to the user experience, not just some hollow words in a nag banner.

FlyerTalk is special to us, and if you treated it that way too, people might even be motivated to help you monetize it.

Thank you so much,
Your content farm
Old Oct 13, 2021, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
IBJoel, I can see likes on my posts from those members. So it’s working fine. I went on full site, not on mobile. It should be just fine. Hope you fixed this. I don’t have any issues anymore.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Took a good thing and ruined it. No need for a separate box to show the likes. Should have just left it in the post.
+1

I think the separate box is not beneficial to user friendliness.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Having the likes a post receive now appear separately under the post make scrolling harder. I keep stopping to see if it's a new post but instead finding it shows how many likes the post have gotten in a way that it only looks like a new post. Having the likes in the post was a better design IMHO.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I really can't see what value there is in knowing how many Likes someone has received or awarded. Nor the date on which someone Liked a particular post. This is just information for information's sake, without any regard to whether it's useful or wanted.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
I want to "like" all of the above messages but don't want to add to the clutter.
24left likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 8:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I don't like the new way this "like" feature is playing out.

Is there any way to mask the "like" display and get back to the old display version?

The "[ARG 4:Undefined]" type thing was less disturbing to my eyes than the new layout with the "Like" feature.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 9:08 am

Totally agree GUWonder!
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by CLEguy
What's the point of the banner? It scans as another post and just takes up more real estate. It actually looks a lot like it's a post that's been made by someone on the ignore list.
fully agreed.

Hopefully it's just a bug in the rollout. Really dislike the extra "post box" for likes and don't really need my number of likes counted.
This! It’s just wasted scroll space. Maybe I’m more affected with my phone whereas a pc person wouldn’t mind.

Took a good thing and ruined it. No need for a separate box to show the likes. Should have just left it in the post.
I don’t even click it because it’s annoying. I like your TRs and prefer to just say so to thank you for the TRs and to encourage more. I fear that Daniel in dbx stopped doing them because people switched from commenting to just clicking. Probably killed his confidence with writing TRs :-)
Old Oct 14, 2021, 11:08 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Hi guys, I am working with tech to figure out our options right now.

One thing is that FT had a custom "Likes" system before yesterday. That's something that makes it much more difficult to fix (as seen with the ARG:Undefined bug) and calculate how it will interact with site updates in the future. So there will need to be a switch over at some point.

But I am seeing if it's possible to do in terms of screen space, which I know is a big priority, especially with our mobile users.

EDIT: OK guys, we heard you. We're going to switch back to the old system until we can find a tenable solution for screen real estate. I've been informed that posts liked during the "new" system turn on will be lost.
SanDiego1K, SPN Lifer and Antarius like this.

Last edited by IBJoel; Oct 14, 2021 at 11:13 am
Old Oct 14, 2021, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The likes on this thread (all under the new system) have all disappeared (as expected) and so has the like button.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 11:23 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The likes on this thread (all under the new system) have all disappeared (as expected) and so has the like button.
Yes, there will a short time where likes are disabled while we switch back over. I'm able to turn off the new system with a button click, but tech needs to code a little to turn on the old system.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 11:24 am

This is fantastic news, thanks Joel!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Yes, there will a short time where likes are disabled while we switch back over. I'm able to turn off the new system with a button click, but tech needs to code a little to turn on the old system.
Does this mean that those of us experiencing the ARG thing will be back to that too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.