Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

"Your Post Has Been Edited" notification??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Your Post Has Been Edited" notification??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I think that is too strong an action. For example, I had posted a Zoom link on a thread the other day. It needed to be removed, and a mod could have gone in and taken it out for me since I didn't get to it until the morning. Even though the main content was removed, it would have still been my post, and I would want my handle next to it. There's no simple way of going about this as one size does not fit all. I am content with having the edit note at the bottom of the post, as long as it says who edited it. I personally would appreciate a notification if it is edited by a moderator, but others may not, which is why I suggested making it an option.

-J.
bh22 and IBJoel like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:07 pm

I am currently a moderator at two forums and a user of quite a few. In each of the forums I moderate, we never edit a post, but we most certainly delete posts for a variety of reasons as well as move them to more appropriate locations. We always notify the poster of a deletion or move. It's built into the software running the forum. I have been on forums that edit posts. Personally, I don't like it to ever have my posts edited. I would much rather have my posts just deleted if they somehow violate the rules of the forum, as I've seen edits by moderators that go too far, so much so the poster deleted them after the moderator edit.
Grog likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
From what I've seen, at least in the forums I'm active in, when mods make an edit to a post they usually leave a note in the "reason for editing" field to explain what was edited and why (sometimes citing the particular TOS rule)

So two important things, IMO:

* if an auto-notification feature were implemented, it should include this reason field in the notification email.
* right now the "reason for editing" field is only shown in desktop mode; if you are viewing the FT mobile site it's hidden (and if you edit in mobile mode even if you are editing your own post, the field does not show up for you to populate)

I also think selective editing can serve a purpose, as often when this happens it is in a contentious discussion where posters have useful things to say, but also have personal attacks/jabs thrown in (I'm certainly guilty of this at times). Editing vs. removal in this case allows you to have your say while also keeping the tone civil (and indirectly serves as gentle pressure to be more civil going forward). IMO forums where mods take the time to do this have a warmer and more welcoming overall tone than forums where mods simply delete posts or lock threads.

Having said that, I could see why people might prefer that their posts be removed entirely vs. having their words changed; I think then those people would probably be in favor of this notification feature, so they can proactively become aware of edits to their posts so they can go review them and decide whether they want to just zero out the post content entirely (since you still retain the ability to edit your own post even if a mod has edited it previously)
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:23 pm

My post was once moved... to the Omni forum... where I do not yet have the credentials to see the answers to my own post. I was indeed notified that it had been moved - out of my touch. Odd!
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
There seems to have been a reduction of notices about moves, edits, and deletions over the past two months. I have noticed this primarily in the United Airlines forum.

Has there been a change in the automated notification process? I use an Android cell phone.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
There seems to have been a reduction of notices about moves, edits, and deletions over the past two months. I have noticed this primarily in the United Airlines forum.

Has there been a change in the automated notification process? I use an Android cell phone.
The notifications are optional. We need to check a box to send system generated notifications when posts are moved or deleted and when threads are merged. The system default is not to send notifications, so we affirmatively have to check the box in order to have them sent. We have no option for sending system generated notifications for post edits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.