Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cannot post as it thinks there's a URL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Cannot post as it thinks there's a URL

I have 3 posts right now to my account. I'm trying to reply in a thread, and it says that I cannot post URLs because I have less than 5 posts. The thing is, there are no URLs in my post. It's just text. So how do I get this work properly?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Nevermind, I figured I'd just get my post count to 5 and then it would ignore the issue. But to be clear, it is a technical problem that it's thinking plain text is a URL.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:57 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by dc4517
Nevermind, I figured I'd just get my post count to 5 and then it would ignore the issue. But to be clear, it is a technical problem that it's thinking plain text is a URL.
What was the exact text? Did it have a hashtag/number sign? The system reads those as a tag like #Delta , which is as designed.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:16 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
It appears you nailed it, IBJoel - the post by OP here has a number sign in it that the system is turning into a link.

This is perhaps an unforeseen (and IMO unfortunate) circumstance/glitch of automatically linking hashtags - new members can't put a number sign in their post, which is of course not a link until the system creates one on it.

To fix this, I might propose one of the following:
  • Turn off automatically linking hashtags (proposed previously and turned down)
  • Allow hashtag links by new members
  • Change the "this post is not allowed because it has a link" (or whatever it says) page to indicate that they need to remove any number signs from their post or they won't be able to post it.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:14 am

This particular 'feature' is affecting my ability to post, too.

FWIW: flyertalk is a wonderful resource...I've lurked for years and now wish to post...but I cannot (and there are no URLs in what I'm trying to post).

Thanks for reading.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:45 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by josephandrews222
This particular 'feature' is affecting my ability to post, too.

FWIW: flyertalk is a wonderful resource...I've lurked for years and now wish to post...but I cannot (and there are no URLs in what I'm trying to post).

Thanks for reading.
If you have a photo or "#" in your post, it functions as a link within the site's software.
IBobi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.