Ads crippling utility of FT

Old May 8, 2018, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Ads crippling utility of FT

The ads are massively slowing down FT, even with high-speed hard-wired internet. Wifi is a miserable experience. Also seem to introduce a security issue as well, as I can't even access FT anymore from work computers that have a slightly more sensitive firewall. This is not good for the users. Who's making all the money from this ridiculous crunch of ads anyway?
Mwenenzi, RumPatrol, JAXBA and 1 others like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:31 pm
Community Director Emerita

I hear your frustration. I wish I could be helpful. I can't. Given that this is all in the hands of Internet Brands, I am going to move your post to the tech issues forum that they monitor.

Carol/SanDiego1K
Community Director
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
And for me ublock now has to be disabled for me to post a reply. Something has changed somewhere.
eponymous_coward and Duke787 like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Yeah, I had to disable uBlock.

Way to continue to be a dumpster fire, IB. The reason why I block your ads is because I know that that $1000 Amazon gift card offer that hijacks my browser when I browse flyertalk.com without blockers is a scam. I don't trust your ads because obviously you don't do much quality control.
Silver Fox and Duke787 like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:26 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yeah, I had to disable uBlock.

Way to continue to be a dumpster fire, IB. The reason why I block your ads is because I know that that $1000 Amazon gift card offer that hijacks my browser when I browse flyertalk.com without blockers is a scam. I don't trust your ads because obviously you don't do much quality control.
We recently implemented a solution to the mobile browser hijacks. They should now be history
Old May 15, 2018, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Can I reignite the discussion around a paid subscription? Probably get a lot less one off venters.
Silver Fox and lightwalker like this.

Last edited by LondonElite; May 15, 2018 at 3:40 pm
Old May 16, 2018, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Can I reignite the discussion around a paid subscription? Probably get a lot less one off venters.
If it means no ads I would pay. I understand the need for ads, but when they get too intrusive on sites I just don't bother any longer. I find them particularly irritating here.
lightwalker and kirkwoodj like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The video ads are making FT unusable... takes minutes to reply to a thread due to the massive CPU usage and locking up the browser.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Absolutely
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Whatever changed to render uBlock ineffective are a real PITA given the nonsense ads that FT spews our way
Silver Fox and RumPatrol like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 10:39 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by rylan
The video ads are making FT unusable... takes minutes to reply to a thread due to the massive CPU usage and locking up the browser.
Thanks Rylan, I'll pass these onto tech/ad ops.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.