Mass deletion of posts?

Old Feb 6, 18, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Mass deletion of posts?

Is there a way I can delete all my posts from FlyerTalk without having to do them one at a time?

Thanks.
Old Feb 6, 18, 1:51 pm
Administrator

Posts cannot be deleted after 24 hours.
Old Feb 6, 18, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
Posts cannot be deleted after 24 hours.
So there is no way I could remove my presence from FT?
Old Feb 6, 18, 3:05 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
See:

Originally Posted by FlyerTalk View Post
Actually you don't cancel or delete an account, you simply quit posting. For instance, you started a thread asking for advice on creating the ultimate Web site for an airline. Many members contributed a great deal of really good advice for you. By being able to delete an account, all the other members contributions would disappear since it was all tagged on to your originating post. I think you might understand that hardly seems fair. Since behind the user name we never ask for anything more than an email address, there really is nothing to delete as that is not even in the public domain. The value of FlyerTalk comes from contributions - thanks for yours and we all hope the most valuable information you were given by the members of FlyerTalk has enhanced your career.

Hope his simple explanation helps.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
All you need do is simply abandon your account. We do not unregister people. Sometimes, folks find that they want to return to posting. Sometimes, folks have posted something of value and we want it left for others. An "unregister" note could leave the impression that you have done something wrong in your time on FlyerTalk. Nothing is further from the truth. Thus, we leave it all in your hands to participate or not, as you like.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20763497-post3.html

cblaisd, Co-Moderator, Technical Support forum
Old Feb 6, 18, 11:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
So there is no way I could remove my presence from FT?
It’s actually useless to try to do so. Other sites have archived everything you have posted - here and undoubtedly elsewhere. Check web archive sites, such as the Wayback Machine.

Once posted, it’s going to be archived somewhere.

If you have a truly compelling reason to obliterate your presence on this site (being aware your posts have undoubtedly been archived), contact the Community Director. Though over 36,000 posts...

JDiver, Co-Moderator
Old Feb 7, 18, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
How would posts from other members, quoting material PTravel contributed, be handled? Would they be deleted, too, if his request to delete his FT presence is approved? Is the FT software sophisticated enough to identify the posts of those of us that have quoted and responded to him over the years? I could see some heavy OMNI posters taking a significant hit in post count if their posts disappear after his posts disappear.
Old Feb 7, 18, 2:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The OP has started 797 threads since s/he joined FT back in 2004. Deleting all posts would delete those threads too... its a can of worms no BB admin would try to open...
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 7, 18, 8:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
The OP has started 797 threads since s/he joined FT back in 2004. Deleting all posts would delete those threads too... its a can of worms no BB admin would try to open...
Wow. FT has unofficial, at least, policy. We would not disrupt FlyerTalk by doing this (if we could). So, OP, for various reasons, “mission impossible”. If you feel you must absent yourself for some reason, merely do so, because you’ve left indelible tracks. And FT does not delete accounts.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
All you need do is simply abandon your account. We do not unregister people. Sometimes, folks find that they want to return to posting. Sometimes, folks have posted something of value and we want it left for others. An "unregister" note could leave the impression that you have done something wrong in your time on FlyerTalk. Nothing is further from the truth. Thus, we leave it all in your hands to participate or not, as you like.

Carol
Community Director

What you do in ‘Vegas might stay in ‘Vegas, but what you do on the Internet on a public forum is “forever”.

/Co-Moderator
Old Feb 7, 18, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Once posted, it’s going to be archived somewhere.
I'm unconcerned about either archiving or my quoted posts. My concern is the implied endorsement of FT and its current policies and operations. As mass deletion is not possible, how about changing the status line to something like "Resigned" or "No long participating," and zeroing my post count?
Old Feb 7, 18, 10:02 am

Your past participation on FlyerTalk does not indicate current or future endorsement of FlyerTalk or its policies, any more than if you had been an avid status holder and frequent flyer on one airline but now chose to fly another airline.

Concerns about FT policy should be taken up with the Community Director.

Thank you for your suggestion; it has been noted. Admin will take it under advisement.

This issue has been gone as far as it can be taken. We will now close this thread.

JDiver & cblaisd, Co-Moderators

Last edited by cblaisd; Feb 7, 18 at 10:21 am
Old Feb 7, 18, 3:59 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
I'm unconcerned about either archiving or my quoted posts. My concern is the implied endorsement of FT and its current policies and operations. As mass deletion is not possible, how about changing the status line to something like "Resigned" or "No long participating," and zeroing my post count?
You absolutely can request a custom title such as "No longer participating" (if you choose that, please also set your email notifications so that you don't get them, and your PM settings to "only receive from friends" so you're not bothered once you leave). If you wish, I will do that for you.

If you are certain you will never want to return with this username, I can also zero out the password and email address on your account (even admins can't actually see the pw, but if there's nothing, the account cannot be signed into by anyone, including yourself, even with a pw reset).

Otherwise, as the Community Director has said, you can simply stop posting.

Zeroing out post count I can't do, as it is tied to forum content.
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread