FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Issues with FT -- 2018 DESKTOP Devices BUG REPORTS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1885702-archive-issues-ft-2018-desktop-devices-bug-reports.html)

JDiver Jan 1, 2018 6:00 pm

ARCHIVE: Issues with FT -- 2018 DESKTOP Devices BUG REPORTS

This is the rebooted and split thread to report bugs found in the 15 November 2017 FlyerTalk on DESKTOP devices.

There are separate threads for mobile devices as well as for disruptive advertisements and for browser redirects / hijacks, as well as other technical issues.

Thank you for keeping the thread on topic and assisting Tech to identify, troubleshoot and deal with bugs in this latest iteration of FlyerTalk for mobile devices.

cblaisd and JDiver, forum Co-Moderators

JDiver Jan 1, 2018 6:31 pm

Disabling Infinite Scroll on your desktop device

2 Attachment(s)
1) Disabling infinite scroll:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk
    • Go to Your Control Panel
      • Go to Settings & Options
        • Go to Edit options
          • Go to Thread Display Options box
            • Disable Infinite Scroll

JDiver Jan 1, 2018 6:47 pm

Restore pre-15 Nov 2017 post editing options

2 Attachment(s)
2) Restore previous post editing options:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk
    • Go to Your Control Panel
      • Go to Settings & Options
        • Go to Edit options
          • Go to Miscellaneous Options box
            • Message Editor Interface and select “Standard Editor -- extra formatting controls” (you may see odd behavior in this unsupported editor)

jackal Jan 9, 2018 10:06 am

I actually don't mind infinite scroll (and you know me; I can't stand people who complain just because their cheese got moved :P) but there are a couple of annoyances with the refresh that I hope can be designed around:

1) It's rather difficult to get up to the wiki with infinite scroll, because when you scroll up, more page content gets loaded, so you never quite make it to the top. It seems that sort of forcefully rocketing to the very top of the page before new content can load will make it stick, but it's still poor UI and severely compromises the wiki product.
2) The new quick reply window is a little touchy. I've accidentally clicked outside (above) the box and lost several paragraphs of composed text. It also doesn't work with Multi-Quote, and the UI for making Multi-Quote work is not obvious (I think you actually have to scroll to the top of the page--not easy with infinite scroll--and click the Post Reply button up there).

Let me know if you're not able to replicate and I can post some screenshots or video walkthroughs or something.

IBobi Jan 9, 2018 3:12 pm

1. You COULD use the FIRST/LAST page link to get to the top immediately, although that will change your page as well. Yes, there is no TOP button, which I think is what you're after?
2. A. losing text: when I accidentally click outside the box, all I do is click Quick Reply again and my text is there. B. Quick Reply has never worked with multiquote; you must hit Reply. There is a Reply button on the IS rolling menu bar at the bottom.

jackal Jan 9, 2018 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 29271779)
1. You COULD use the FIRST/LAST page link to get to the top immediately, although that will change your page as well. Yes, there is no TOP button, which I think is what you're after?
2. A. losing text: when I accidentally click outside the box, all I do is click Quick Reply again and my text is there. B. Quick Reply has never worked with multiquote; you must hit Reply. There is a Reply button on the IS rolling menu bar at the bottom.

Ah; I didn't notice the footer. It's quite a bit less bold than the 2005-era design of the rest of the site. :P

You're right about Quick Reply coming back with text in it.

As for the Wiki...I don't know what the solution is, but somehow it needs to be easier to get to the wiki. I don't know if a Top button necessarily is or isn't the solution; perhaps a mini two-line preview of the wiki needs to be displayed at the bottom of the header, or maybe there needs to be a "go to wiki" button in the footer nav bar, or whatever, but it's not particularly intuitive right now.

Kremmen Jan 13, 2018 4:04 am

1 Attachment(s)
On a usual page, with 2 sets of banner ads and lots of white space, there's only room to see one actual message before having to scroll down. That's bad enough, but sometimes the combination of wrapping title (totally unnecessary -- it should go above the right column ad), wikipost (5x as much whitespace as necessary) and wrapping of the page selector mean that there's no actual message data without scrolling down.

In particular, the post reply/page selector line should never be allowed to wrap.

WHBM Jan 16, 2018 8:51 am

Quote button not bringing forward previous text in quote tags

When I select Quote, I now get a Reply to Thread screen that is blank, without the quoted text with quote tags around it.

IE 11.1804.14393.0

Do the same in Chrome and it works correctly.

Chrome 63.0.3239.132

IBobi Jan 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 29299508)
When I select Quote, I now get a Reply to Thread screen that is blank, without the quoted text with quote tags around it.

IE 11.1804.14393.0

Do the same in Chrome and it works correctly.

Chrome 63.0.3239.132

Quoting on IE test

IBobi Jan 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Hmm seems to work ok here. Maybe try clearing your cache and turning off any ad blockers on IE.

RandomBaritone Feb 7, 2018 10:03 am

I've found that just in the past week, FT becomes unresponsive when I navigate the site using desktop Safari on Mac OS. I'm running Safari 11.0.3 on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3. The problem is always the same: I'm browsing as usual, but upon clicking some link -- it's always seemingly random which link triggers it -- the mouse pointer becomes the colored pinwheel and all links on the page become unclickable.

Safari itself isn't affected, and I can still close the tab as usual, so it's only an inconvenience at present. But the problems pops back up within a few minutes of visiting FT.

I'm confident it isn't just my setup, as it happens on two different machines running Mac OS, and I've cleared my entire history, cookies, and cache on both browsers. The clincher is that it also just started occurring on another forum I visit that uses the same bulletin board software.

Any other similar reports?

RandomBaritone Feb 10, 2018 4:29 pm

Further to my post of February 7, I've given up on Safari and switched to Firefox when visiting FT.

Happy to help troubleshoot if you think you can fix the problem with Safari though. I haven't noticed issues with any other sites except for another forum that also runs on vBulletin.

IBobi Feb 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 29403010)
Further to my post of February 7, I've given up on Safari and switched to Firefox when visiting FT.

Happy to help troubleshoot if you think you can fix the problem with Safari though. I haven't noticed issues with any other sites except for another forum that also runs on vBulletin.

Be sure to clear cache and turn off ad blockers.

aquamarinesteph Feb 12, 2018 7:44 pm

I am having the problem listed above with the site freezing, but I'm using Chrome on a Mac. I cleared every single cookie, and I do not have an ad blocker running. Since I cleared the cookies, I can't even log into the site because it's completely unresponsive. It shut down Chrome earlier, but I managed to close the one tab this last time.

It seems to be waiting on two things to load. They both have ad in their name, but one is something like adnexus or something similar. I couldn't screen shot it because of the hanging issue. I'm currently on the same computer, using Safari which doesn't seem to be having the same issue. Hopefully.

ETA: I just had the same issue with Safari, but at least I was able to do a force reload on the page. It is clearly something related to ads loading.

tom911 Feb 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph (Post 29410387)
They both have ad in their name, but one is something like adnexus or something similar.

I still have that one trying to load in one of my open tabs: secure.adnxs.com.