New Member Posting Restriction [URL - link - image]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As a brand new member, we want you to feel welcome to our frequent traveler community of over 600,000.

Some spammers also sign up and create spurious accounts to spam us, or spam our members privately without posting. We have found the most effective way to protect our members from unwanted spam include:

1) Allow new members a maximum of five posts a day initially. (We won’t reveal how many posts you must make to be released from this condition because we’d be giving it away to spammers, but it’s really not onerous.)

2) New members are not allowed to post web links, image links, URLs. If you attempt doing so, your post will be hidden temporarily until a Moderator can review and approve it.

3) New members can make new posts or start new threads, but some posts and new threads may be hidden temporarily and sent to the moderation queue for review and approval.

4) New members are restricted in how many Private Messages they can send initially. We have found a few have taken advantage of signing up for an account to spam members with PMs.

(If you encounter any glitches, such as a message warning you can’t post a URL but don’t have one in your proposed post, let us know here or contact a Moderator in the forum you’re trying to post in. A glitch existed for a short time, but we think it was fixed.)

We apologize for any frustration you might experience from this initial throttling back of your activity, knowing you might have a number of questions that brought you to establish an account, or that now that you’ve found us you’re enthusiastic and want to participate fully in our community. As you become more active, we also suspect you’ll appreciate how we value your privacy and protect you from unwanted spam.

The Administrators and Forum Co-Moderators

Print Wikipost

New Member Posting Restriction [URL - link - image]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 10:41 am
RETIRED; DO NOT PM

Thank you for your inquiry. New members have a post cap limit until they reach a post threshold. We don't advertise the specific post threshold, as it can change and is in place primarily to prevent spammers from abusing the post system. We don't want to make it easy to circumvent, but it is very minimal. Your limit will reset 24 hours after you received that message.

Alternatively, you can partake in the community discussions to raise your post count, and ultimately, this will remove the limit on posts for your account. Happy posting!
JDiver likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by RyanL
I am limited to post 5 times per day and do not appear to be allowed create new threads.
These restrictions make the site pretty pointless. How can I get the restrictions lifted?
New members are always welcome, but because numbers of spammers sign on using spurious information to spam our members we have developed anti-spam protocols that, though they impose restrictions on new members, keep the forum pretty spam free.

It looks like you’re up to 12 posts now. But in any case you could start new threads, but early on they went into a moderation queue for Moderators to review and approve.

The information in the Wikipost at the top of the page is pretty definitive.

JDiver, Co-Moderator
muji likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Trying to see if I can post here. Thank you! I tried making a post in the MileagePlus forum without images, URLs, or links and it kept stopping me.

Well this one worked...
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: ShebaMiles
Access to OMNI

What is the post count required for access to OMNI? Is it 180 posts? If so, I look forward to finally gaining access in the year 2036, at my present posting rate.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:26 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by Parterre
What is the post count required for access to OMNI? Is it 180 posts? If so, I look forward to finally gaining access in the year 2036, at my present posting rate.
That is correct
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by IBJoel
That is correct
Time to pick up the pace, then.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Parterre
Time to pick up the pace, then.
Possibly. Be aware “picking up the pace” with noncontributory posts is likely to get a member barred from fora like OMNI or The Coupon Connection, which require minimum numbers of days on FT and (contributory) posts, and that post counts can be adjusted by Moderators. (“Picking up the pace” to more than seven posts per year shouldn’t a problem - but a sudden flurry of posts might be.)

JDiver, Co-Moderator Technical Support and Feedback forum

Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver

Possibly. Be aware “picking up the pace” with noncontributory posts is likely to get a member barred from fora like OMNI or The Coupon Connection, which require minimum numbers of days on FT and (contributory) posts, and that post counts can be adjusted by Moderators. (“Picking up the pace” to more than seven posts per year shouldn’t a problem - but a sudden flurry of posts might be.)

JDiver, Co-Moderator Technical Support and Feedback forum

Yes, I'd say there is very little reason to fear me spamming the forum.
IBJoel and JDiver like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:16 pm

I have the same problem replying/asking a question in an established thread. NO image no URL. still can't post
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:55 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You joined today, and then posted 5 times in 30 minutes. That triggers the throttle since that is sometimes the behavior of spammers (as noted above).

cblaisd, Co-Moderator
Technical Support forum
JDiver and IBJoel like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:16 am

Hi Mods,
Is it possible to get the private message limit removed for one/two days. In conversation with jonnyc regarding an AA issue. I didn’t realize there was a limit in messages and got hit mid conversation.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Shoople
Hi Mods,
Is it possible to get the private message limit removed for one/two days. In conversation with jonnyc regarding an AA issue. I didn’t realize there was a limit in messages and got hit mid conversation.
Unfortunately, there’s not; it’s a hard limit. Ask him if he has an email address he’s willing to share in your next message, or wait the limit out as you post.

JDiver, Co-Moderator, Technical Support and Feedback, American Airlines | AAdvantage fora
IBJoel and Shoople like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:02 pm

Appreciate the response, I was able to wait till the next day to respond.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 8:47 pm

Can mods help work around the image posting restriction? I created an account to update a thread and some members are asking me to post a photo of a certain credit card. This will be my 2nd post

Originally Posted by NYtoCHI
Can mods help work around the image posting restriction? I created an account to update a thread and some members are asking me to post a photo of a certain credit card. This will be my 2nd post
nevermind! All good!
IBJoel and JDiver like this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 11, 2020 at 9:38 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Jul 12, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 1K, DL DM, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I apologise, didn't notice that images are considered URLs too.

Last edited by UAFF; Jul 12, 2021 at 5:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.