Reload this Page >

Annoying pop up thread descriptions / tool tips

Old Dec 10, 17, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Hi,

I'm not sure if this has been raised before in a separate thread (I couldn't find anything), but is there anyway to turn off the pop up thread descriptions when scrolling through the index page - I find it annoying (I hate pop ups of any sort!).

Thanks

Tim
Old Dec 11, 17, 4:47 pm
Administrator

Screen shot?

Not sure what you are talking about...
Old Dec 11, 17, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Old Dec 11, 17, 5:03 pm
Administrator

Oh, iPad! Yes, that's the correct functionality. Maybe there is a safari setting that controls that?
Old Dec 11, 17, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
Oh, iPad! Yes, that's the correct functionality. Maybe there is a safari setting that controls that?
Hi,

It's on my Mac desktop, but will check the settings just in case.

Thanks

Tim

ETA Just checked on Chrome (desktop) and it doesn't do it, so perhaps just a Safari desktop issue; I can't find any setting to stop it unfortunately.

Last edited by tim0409; Dec 11, 17 at 5:13 pm
Old Dec 22, 17, 6:12 pm

Programs: 1K
Disable tooltips? (to merge)

Wondering if it is possible to disable the tooltips that are shown when hovering over titles of threads in a forum? I find that it blocks the view of the titles below and is overall a nuisance.

thx
Attached Images  
Old Dec 26, 17, 8:18 am

Programs: 1K
Looks like it can be disabled in vBulletin (assume that's the platform FT is running on)

ACP -> vBulletin Options -> Forum Display Options (forumdisplay) -> Length of Thread Preview Text -> 0
Old Dec 27, 17, 1:31 pm
Administrator

It may sometimes be a nuisance but it is standard VB and FlyerTalk behavior. I use this function daily as a way to sneak a peek at the beginning of a post to determine the thread's subject. We won't be turning it off sitewide, I'm sorry.
Old Jan 7, 18, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
It may sometimes be a nuisance but it is standard VB and FlyerTalk behavior. I use this function daily as a way to sneak a peek at the beginning of a post to determine the thread's subject. We won't be turning it off sitewide, I'm sorry.
I don't understand, it's not site wide in the sense that it only happens on the safari browser and not Chrome - why is this? Whilst I appreciate you personally find it useful I and others find it incredibly annoying (having to switch browsers or just not bothering with Flyertalk - the pop up/dialogue box covers info on the page. Any pop ups that can't be controlled are surely frowned upon in this day and age.
chavala likes this.
Old Jan 7, 18, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by tim0409 View Post
I don't understand, it's not site wide in the sense that it only happens on the safari browser and not Chrome - why is this? Whilst I appreciate you personally find it useful I and others find it incredibly annoying (having to switch browsers or just not bothering with Flyertalk - the pop up/dialogue box covers info on the page. Any pop ups that can't be controlled are surely frowned upon in this day and age.
It isn't a popup, it is a preview. It is a very common feature on basically any forum based site these days. It does happen on Chrome as well, but it looks like it takes longer to initiate than it does on the other two browsers. It does act a little oddly on Safari in that it slowly fades out rather than instantly goes away when you move your cursor off the thread. That appears to be an odd Safari quirk, not sure if there is a way to adjust that.

I am ambivalent towards the feature because it is entirely dependent on the original poster being clear and concise with their thoughts. Sometimes the preview will tell you exactly what the thread is about because the OP was very clear explaining it, other times you still have to open the thread because the OP doesn't get to the point until a few sentences in. I would rather have the feature than not have it though and the functionality works perfectly in Firefox (instantaneously appears and disappears based on cursor position).
IBobi likes this.
Old Jan 9, 18, 9:58 am

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
I find it very useful in Chrome, and use it the same way as iBobi; to check the contents of the thread when the title is too vague. When it does come up on threads I'm not intending it to, I just move my cursor to the far left or right of my browser, into some clear space.

The tool tip summaries only appear (in Chrome/IE at least) when the cursor is hovering over a thread title URL.

If Safari is doing a slow fade out instead of a more instant disappear I can understand that could get annoying. Don't know if there's an option to allow users to set their preferences, but if it's an on/off for everyone, then I personally hope they would stay on.

Sorry tim0409 and zdog2x.
IBobi likes this.
Old Jun 29, 18, 3:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
For macos users who are comfortable using Terminal there's an easy way to adjust the length of time, say 10 seconds, between hovering over a link and when the preview pops up. This can be applied to specific applications, such as Safari, or globally.

Open Terminal.app from the Utilities folder, enter either of the following lines of code at the prompt and hit the RETURN or ENTER key:

Global change:
Code:
defaults write -g NSInitialToolTipDelay -int 10000
Per application change:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari NSInitialToolTipDelay -int 10000
The time argument is expressed in nanoseconds, thus "10000" is the equivalent of 10 seconds. Adjust up or down as suits your taste.

You may need to restart the app or device for changes to take effect. (Off the top of my head I don't know what the corollary operations are for iOS, Android or Windows devices are.)
Old Jun 30, 18, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by essxjay View Post
The time argument is expressed in nanoseconds, thus "10000" is the equivalent of 10 seconds.
Surely that's a bit off? 10,000 milliseconds would be 10 seconds. 10,000 nanoseconds would be 0.00001 seconds.
Old Jul 2, 18, 10:39 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by tim0409 View Post
If it is appearing on Safari and not Chrome, then that is a browser issue. It appears for me on Chrome (as well as when I am on other, non-IB sites).
Old Aug 6, 18, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting the Amazon gift card popups again.

Just happened, while browsing Omni.

Search this Thread