FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annoying pop up thread descriptions / tool tips
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:38 pm
RumPatrol

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by tim0409
I don't understand, it's not site wide in the sense that it only happens on the safari browser and not Chrome - why is this? Whilst I appreciate you personally find it useful I and others find it incredibly annoying (having to switch browsers or just not bothering with Flyertalk - the pop up/dialogue box covers info on the page. Any pop ups that can't be controlled are surely frowned upon in this day and age.
It isn't a popup, it is a preview. It is a very common feature on basically any forum based site these days. It does happen on Chrome as well, but it looks like it takes longer to initiate than it does on the other two browsers. It does act a little oddly on Safari in that it slowly fades out rather than instantly goes away when you move your cursor off the thread. That appears to be an odd Safari quirk, not sure if there is a way to adjust that.

I am ambivalent towards the feature because it is entirely dependent on the original poster being clear and concise with their thoughts. Sometimes the preview will tell you exactly what the thread is about because the OP was very clear explaining it, other times you still have to open the thread because the OP doesn't get to the point until a few sentences in. I would rather have the feature than not have it though and the functionality works perfectly in Firefox (instantaneously appears and disappears based on cursor position).