iPad Specific Display and Related Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 9:02 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I want to join in this. It’s terrible. Awful

1. My cursor and every ing I’m typing disappears into the top of the reply box, it’s totally obscured I literally can’t see what I. Typing.

2. I have no clue how long a thread is if I access it fro. Google. No first oage and no last page, just never ending posts.

As a result I can’t find what I want and can’t reply to stuff.

terrinle, utterly awful
Old May 18, 2018, 3:54 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Exclamation iPad workarounds

Hi, iPadders,

We realize there are some quirks to using the iPad on FlyerTalk. Let me try to help.

First, we are planning to get this fixed. But it will require replacing the entire text editor on the software that runs FT. A big task. It will take time.

Meantime, you can try this:
  • Use the mobile skin! The annoying keystroke lag and the disappearing cursor do not happen in mobile skin. Go to the bottom left of your screen and use the dropdown to select Mobile New (to go back, go to the top-left "hamburger menu" and select View full site).
  • If you really don't want to use Mobile skin, you can try clicking the little gray triangle in the lower right corner of your text edit box. Sometimes it works and it keeps the cursor from disappearing under the menu bar. Hit or miss.
That's about it. We really recommend using the mobile skin on any mobile device.

Good luck!

Paul
Old May 19, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by IBobi
Hi, iPadders,

We realize there are some quirks to using the iPad on FlyerTalk. Let me try to help.

First, we are planning to get this fixed. But it will require replacing the entire text editor on the software that runs FT. A big task. It will take time.

Meantime, you can try this:
  • Use the mobile skin! The annoying keystroke lag and the disappearing cursor do not happen in mobile skin. Go to the bottom left of your screen and use the dropdown to select Mobile New (to go back, go to the top-left "hamburger menu" and select View full site).
  • If you really don't want to use Mobile skin, you can try clicking the little gray triangle in the lower right corner of your text edit box. Sometimes it works and it keeps the cursor from disappearing under the menu bar. Hit or miss.
That's about it. We really recommend using the mobile skin on any mobile device.

Good luck!

Paul
There is no Mobile New option in the skin chooser on the bottom left when viewed on an iPad by the way, and Mobile One rarely sticks, dropping back to desktop after a few page transitions.

Last edited by djmp; May 19, 2018 at 6:11 pm
Old May 21, 2018, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
We already had a thread about iPad issues with FT.
Maybe the Mods could merge the 2 ?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
I too have very annoying issues with IPAD and Safari. When scrolling it jumps around crazy within the thread backwards. I 'think" it is due to the over the top ads that seem to give my IPAD fits when scrolling due to not able to keep up with the ads loading, so resets to last starting point. And the IPAD I have was the top of the line one recently purchased at Best Buy?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
I too have very annoying issues with IPAD and Safari. When scrolling it jumps around crazy within the thread backwards. I 'think" it is due to the over the top ads that seem to give my IPAD fits when scrolling due to not able to keep up with the ads loading, so resets to last starting point. And the IPAD I have was the top of the line one recently purchased at Best Buy?
I have tested FT on the iPad and cannot reproduce the "jumping" that has been reported. If it is still happening for you, please report:
  • ipad model
  • ios version
  • browser type and version
  • type of connection (wifi, LTE...)
  • assume you are using the mobile skin and infinite scroll -- if otherwise, let me know
  • any ad blocker running?
  • post a screen shot -- video is even better if you can
  • link to a thread where it is happening
  • describe exactly what you're doing when it happens, and what the "jumping" is?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
On my ancient iPad with the desktop site and my up to date iPhone 8 with mobile skin I keep getting the pages reloading after a couple of minutes with the message saying there's an error with this page so it was reloaded. I don't have ad blocker software and I'm wondering if it's the adverts causing a problem. Any ideas? It's been going on a few weeks now.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by flyingbee
On my ancient iPad with the desktop site and my up to date iPhone 8 with mobile skin I keep getting the pages reloading after a couple of minutes with the message saying there's an error with this page so it was reloaded. I don't have ad blocker software and I'm wondering if it's the adverts causing a problem. Any ideas? It's been going on a few weeks now.
Try clearing your browser cache. We are not getting a lot of reports of bad ads, so it's likely at your end. Also possibly try a different browser -- firefox and chrome seem to work well,as does Safari.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
Try clearing your browser cache. We are not getting a lot of reports of bad ads, so it's likely at your end. Also possibly try a different browser -- firefox and chrome seem to work well,as does Safari.
Thanks, I have cleared the browser cache I think (cleared cookies and website data) but that hasn't worked. I'm using safari so I will try chrome.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:43 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29857686-post294.html
Originally Posted by flyingbee

Thanks, I have cleared the browser cache I think (cleared cookies and website data) but that hasn't worked. I'm using safari so I will try chrome.

Constant iPhone/iPad page crashes when ads reload has been reported by lots of folks - see comments on this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29857686-post294.html.

Apparently ad blockers stop it reoccurring per some users.

Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by djmp
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29857686-post294.html

Constant iPhone/iPad page crashes when ads reload has been reported by lots of folks - see comments on this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29857686-post294.html.

Apparently ad blockers stop it reoccurring per some users.

She is not reporting crashed, she is reporting the page is reloading. Different issue.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:22 pm

She is not reporting crashed, she is reporting the page is reloading. Different issue.
Same issue I believe. The message from Safari says web page reloaded due to a problem. It’s a page crash, Safari reloads the page. And enough of them it will give up completely on reloading. Looks like it’s approximately each 2 minutes or so, when the ads refresh.
RandomBaritone likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:26 pm

I have done a search and I have found a list of things to work through to try and solve the problem. I will do that when I can. FlyerTalk is the only website I'm currently having the problem with, although I have previously had the same issue with the website for a UK newspaper. I suspect the problem is something to do with adverts. I'm not having the problem on this page for posting a reply which is advert light.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.