Allowed Amazon Links

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 31, 17, 1:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Applicable FlyerTalk Rules

3. Signatures (link to this rule)

A personalized signature is available to you once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member. Because these signatures appear at the bottom of every post you make, the following rules apply in order to minimize distraction within the forums:
  • Signatures are subject to the rules governing all FlyerTalk content (e.g. those which forbid the furthering of illegal or fraudulent activities, the use of profanity, vulgarity, hatred, abusiveness and harassment).
  • Affiliate or referral links resulting in any form of compensation, including points or miles, are not permitted in signatures.
  • All links and referrals to credit card sign-up pages, marketplaces with a primary purpose to promote the sale or referral of credit cards, or any other offer related to credit cards, are prohibited in signatures. For clarification, if you author a blog focused in the areas of travel, miles and points, your signature may link to your blog provided that the link is not directly to a post or webpage about credit cards.
  • Except for credit card sign-up offers, signatures that specifically relate to your travel-related commercial ventures are allowed. Other commercial signatures are not allowed.
    Signatures of a religious or political nature (other than campaigning for FlyerTalk's elected TalkBoard) are not allowed.
  • Signatures containing drect links away from FlyerTalk to charitable activities are not allowed, but you may use a link to your thread in the FlyerTalk Cares forum. (See Rule 11 Charitable Posts.)
  • You may not manually insert a signature into the body of a message or user profile unless you are an official company representative, as designated by a green-colored username. A brief close in the body of a message, such as, "Regards," "Cheers," "Travel Safely," or "Thanks," with or without your name or user name, is permitted.
  • Graphically, your signature must conform to the following standards:
  • Use no larger than the FlyerTalk default posting font size.
  • Limit it to two lines.
  • Limit the use of emoticons or other highlighting characters/symbols/other keystrokes to 2 (total) per signature.
  • Do not use spaces, characters, symbols or other keystrokes that stretch your signature beyond standard column widths.
  • Do not use all-caps, alternating caps, alternating use of color, or other unconventional methods of attracting attention to your signature. Two emoticons, characters, symbols or other key strokes in addition to text are permitted.
  • Do not embed images of any kind in your signature.
Should you wish to not see signatures at all, you may shut them off. You can do so in the Edit Options section of your personal profile. If you have any questions as to whether your intended signature is acceptable, or to report a signature you believe violates the rules, contact the Signature Review Team.

10. Commercial Posts (link to this rule)

Posts of a commercial nature on FlyerTalk are limited to the following:
  • Signatures that specifically relate to your travel-related ventures (this does not include credit cards), once you have achieved both 180 posts and 180 days as a member of FlyerTalk.
  • Travel-industry related professionals who have received official recognition by the Community Director and therefore identified by green-colored usernames.
  • All other posts of a commercial nature whether in a post, signature or profile are prohibited. In this rule, commercial posts include those containing promotional messages for commercial products or services, including but not limited to internet sites and business advertisements.
  • FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 30, 17, 10:20 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Allowed Amazon Links

I have long understood that Commercial Links are forbidden by the TOS: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#commercial

But I learned tonight that exceptions are possible if using FT/IB affiliate links: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28758219-post66.html

We do six figures+ on Amazon and I'd love to be able to provide a link to my product(s) in my sig line.

How do we proceed?

Last edited by kokonutz; Aug 30, 17 at 10:28 pm
Old Aug 31, 17, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I would suggest that you think carefully of what you want to put in your signature and how to word it.

You will note, for example, that my signature does not mention my book or even the possibility of buying it through Amazon (or anywhere else). It talks only about me.

If someone is interested enough to see what I mean to click on my signature he will then be brought to the Amazon site where the book is being offered. Personally, I see a very big difference between that and if I had made a signature which reads, "Interested in new widgets? My employer makes the best ones" and then linked to your employer's products on Amazon or anywhere else.

Perhaps you might want a signature that reads, "I'm a great inventor" and then have it link to widgets that you invented. The signature would only tell us about you -- not your employer's products -- and be much more in line with what I have done.
Old Aug 31, 17, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
I would suggest that you think carefully of what you want to put in your signature and how to word it.

You will note, for example, that my signature does not mention my book or even the possibility of buying it through Amazon (or anywhere else). It talks only about me.

If someone is interested enough to see what I mean to click on my signature he will then be brought to the Amazon site where the book is being offered. Personally, I see a very big difference between that and if I had made a signature which reads, "Interested in new widgets? My employer makes the best ones" and then linked to your employer's products on Amazon or anywhere else.

Perhaps you might want a signature that reads, "I'm a great inventor" and then have it link to widgets that you invented. The signature would only tell us about you -- not your employer's products -- and be much more in line with what I have done.
Are you saying you just did it then begged forgiveness rather than asking permission first? Because you implied that you asked and were granted permission. Either way, I'd like to know the actual rules rather than your personal experience.

Btw, these are not my employer's products. They are my (and my wife's) products. Our company, our designs, our products. Just like your book is yours.
Old Aug 31, 17, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Are you saying you just did it then begged forgiveness rather than asking permission first? Because you implied that you asked and were granted permission. Either way, I'd like to know the actual rules rather than your personal experience.

Btw, these are not my employer's products. They are my (and my wife's) products. Our company, our designs, our products. Just like your book is yours.
No, I asked permission before putting it up and I wish both you and your wife great success with your products -- both from FT and all other sources.
Old Aug 31, 17, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
No, I asked permission before putting it up and I wish both you and your wife great success with your products -- both from FT and all other sources.
Super. Then I will await direction.

And thanks. And good luck with your book. I think I closed a sale for you last night, although it may have been an 'included with prime' download rather than a straight sale.
Old Sep 3, 17, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Any word on a path forward?

Or was this a one-off special exception rather than a change in policy?
Old Sep 3, 17, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i must be missing something? Dovster's link is >
1-16 of 301 results for "wilde is the joker"
Old Sep 3, 17, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
i must be missing something? Dovster's link is >
When I click on my link I am brought directly to the Amazon.com page for Wilde is the Joker.

(It is a book I wrote under one of my numerous pen names, "Josh Wilde".)
Old Sep 3, 17, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=1Y2RZEFBKNODL
"keywords=wilde+is+the+joker"
vs
https://www.amazon.com/Wilde-Joker-G.../dp/B0721T9R5F
Old Sep 4, 17, 1:12 pm
Community Director

Any word on a path forward?
Sorry, I've been slow to get this. I've referred the thread to our Signature Committee who does an excellent job of seeing to it that we have consistency in the applications of the rules. Give us a few days for them to review this.

Carol
Old Sep 4, 17, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Sorry, I've been slow to get this. I've referred the thread to our Signature Committee who does an excellent job of seeing to it that we have consistency in the applications of the rules. Give us a few days for them to review this.

Carol
Thanks as ever!!!!
Old Sep 8, 17, 2:42 pm
Community Director

I have long understood that Commercial Links are forbidden by the TOS: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#commercial

But I learned tonight that exceptions are possible if using FT/IB affiliate links: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28758219-post66.html

We do six figures+ on Amazon and I'd love to be able to provide a link to my product(s) in my sig line.

How do we proceed?
Unfortunately, you don't. The rules are quite clear about permissable links in signatures.

Except for credit card sign-up offers, signatures that specifically relate to your travel-related commercial ventures are allowed. Other commercial signatures are not allowed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#signatures

Signatures that specifically relate to your travel-related ventures (this does not include credit cards), once you have achieved both 180 posts and 180 days as a member of FlyerTalk.

All other posts of a commercial nature – whether in a post, signature or profile – are prohibited. In this rule, commercial posts include those containing promotional messages for commercial products or services, including but not limited to internet sites and business advertisements.

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#commercial
Old Sep 9, 17, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Unfortunately, you don't. The rules are quite clear about permissable links in signatures.

Except for credit card sign-up offers, signatures that specifically relate to your travel-related commercial ventures are allowed. Other commercial signatures are not allowed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#signatures

Signatures that specifically relate to your travel-related ventures (this does not include credit cards), once you have achieved both 180 posts and 180 days as a member of FlyerTalk.

All other posts of a commercial nature – whether in a post, signature or profile – are prohibited. In this rule, commercial posts include those containing promotional messages for commercial products or services, including but not limited to internet sites and business advertisements.

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#commercial
Thanks for the reply.

Point of clarification if you don't mind: I'm reading those rules very carefully and am wondering if Dovster's assertion is correct and so long as the words posted do not constitute a 'promotional message' a link to a commercial site is allowed?

I'd just rather ask permission than risk having my posting privileges revoked.

Thanks again.

Last edited by kokonutz; Sep 9, 17 at 1:33 am
Old Sep 21, 17, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

I see this thread has, um, changed a bit.

Does that mean the answer has changed?

Search this Thread