Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Think I'm having the same issues as memesweeper. Only seems to occur on iOS on Safari (iOS 10.0.2), but not on my MacBook. When visiting Flyertalk forums (and also PPRUNE, also Internet Bulletin Boards occasionally though with nothing like the same frequency as on Flyertalk) I regularly get an App Store popup like below.

If I remove the data:text/html;base64, and then run the remainder through a base64 decoder it does generate html, and I can pass this to anyone that needs it, but don't want to post it generally as it does include some personal information.

This seems to occur when there is a Monster Legends advert at the top of the page, but this may be unrelated.

Having cleared all website data from my phone this continues to occur, and still occurs following a full reset to factory settings so I don't beleive this is related to malware on my phone. I presume it is a rogue advertiser using a rather sketchy JavaScript command to try to force me through to the App Store.

Is this occurring for anyone else, and do I need to do anything else to bring it to the attention of Internet Bulletin Boards or do they read new posts in this forum?

Many thanks,
Hodders

Last edited by Hodders; Dec 12, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:55 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Try Photobucket. I don't think imgur works here.

Or you can make a FT album and post from there.

Or you can click GO ADVANCED and attach it.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
Try Photobucket. I don't think imgur works here.

Or you can make a FT album and post from there.

Or you can click GO ADVANCED and attach it.
Think I solved it, at least it's showing for me now. Still on imgur but the link they give doesn't include the .jpg on the end, and adding that seems to have made it appear correctly now.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Hodders has the exact same experience as me. Happy to share any details in a PM to he site owners. Switching to the full site (as opposed to
Mobile version) does not fix the issue.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by memesweeper
When using this forum on iOS periodically I get a screen refresh (from embedded page data, not a hosted page) which pops up a fake 'open this in App Store' dialog ... pressing anything then tries to send you off elsewhere (hint: hit back in Safari to avoid). You can try and renter the thread and probably won't see the same problem but 'last read' position is lost. Super annoying. Could a mod raise this with the site owners/hosters? Almost certainly a malware laden third party ads server is the cause.
This. This trick has been seen several times now—it was Game of War, among other things—and every time it pops up I have to stop reading FT on mobile for a few weeks until it goes away again. Can't IB identify the cause/vector?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Having real issues with loud noisy intrusive video ads popping up and playing unprompted on many screens using Microsoft Edge browser. Makes the site unusable for me and ....... seems to do nothing to resolve.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:32 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Thank you everyone -- the mobile ad hijack issue and the audio ads have been reported and we will work to remove them.

Having said that, we paused one of our mobile ad networks yesterday in an effort to remedy the hijack; are you still seeing the hijacks today on mobile?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 6:49 pm

Having said that, we paused one of our mobile ad networks yesterday in an effort to remedy the hijack; are you still seeing the hijacks today on mobile?
Hasnt seemed as frequent over the past 24 hours, but has still been occuring, including one in the past few minutes (01:47 GMT).
I have not stored the links that have popped up as I didn't trust them that much, but if you need me to PM you the link when it next occurs so you can view the decoded HTML then let me know.
Thanks for trying to solve this,
Hodders
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks—but yes, I just checked on my phone and the first thread I tried was hijacked.

data:text/html;base64, ... etc. (Full text available on request.)
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, Miles+Bonus Blue
Continually happening over the past week using iPhone 7 - mostly redirects trying to force open the App Store to download the skybet app (undoubtedly targeted from my browsing history!)

Can email screenshots if requested. Makes the forum too annoying to use on this device.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
There's a lexus ad that automatically plays with audio.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 22, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Mobile hijack on iOS/Safari is happening again. Domain this time is you-gift-card(dot)pw, the usual "randomly selected to receive a $1000 gift card" messaging.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Mobile hijack on iOS/Safari is happening again. Domain this time is you-gift-card(dot)pw, the usual "randomly selected to receive a $1000 gift card" messaging.
Same here. Please stop this. You are going to drive people away from Flyer Talk.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Same as last two above. iOS/safari current version
Attached Images  
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Same as last two above. iOS/safari current version
Same here. Had been fine since last reported until last night. Now occuring multiple times including as I was posting this.

Android Samsung S7 Edge/Chrome

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.