Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
what ads?
Old May 2, 2015, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
never mind

Last edited by oenophilist; May 3, 2015 at 6:24 am
Old May 2, 2015, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by oenophilist
Is it just me, or are the Flyertalk ads becoming extremely annoying lately? I know ads are personalized, but this is the only place I go where the ads are the flashy kind that I detest with a passion. I'm wondering if others see the same infuriatingly annoying ads, or if it is just me?
It's just you. If you're not using Firefox and Voldemort.

Last edited by DenverBrian; May 2, 2015 at 8:50 pm Reason: Good grief - because someone thinks software Should Not Be Named
Old May 2, 2015, 7:00 pm

Not to be a downer, but using or advocating the use of ....... on FT is actually a bannable offense.
Old May 2, 2015, 8:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Using ....... is not a bannable offense.
Old May 2, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by essxjay
A site admin seems to disagree.

Originally Posted by IBobi
This is correct. You have malware. It's not FlyerTalk. Run your A/V program and clear cookies.

To remind everyone, using or recommending ad block on this site is a violation of the TOS and can get your account banned. FlyerTalk is a *free* site. The ads are what keep it going.

Paul
I have no problem "green-listing" websites for allowing ads through, the instant they get out of control I add them to the block list. I've had to use the Mercury browser on my iPad because of the App Store Hijack that keeps popping up.

Some of them, like the new Chase United explorer ad, seems to really slow down my phone because of the graphics. This all being said, the Tech Support is probably a better place to talk about this, there's several threads there already.
Old May 2, 2015, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by WIRunner
And later on in that thread, a FT member notes that such language is nowhere to be found in the FT Rules. @:-)
Old May 2, 2015, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
And later on in that thread, a FT member notes that such language is nowhere to be found in the FT Rules. @:-)
Thank you!
Old May 3, 2015, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Glad I am not alone. Some of those ads were coming close to giving me seizures.
Old May 3, 2015, 9:36 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by davie355
Not to be a downer, but using or advocating the use of ....... on FT is actually a bannable offense.
Originally Posted by WIRunner

I have no problem "green-listing" websites for allowing ads through, the instant they get out of control I add them to the block list. I've had to use the Mercury browser on my iPad because of the App Store Hijack that keeps popping up.
Thanks for checking on that DenverBrian. There's also nothing in the legal notices addressing the use of ad blocking software, Grease Monkey scripts or the like.
Old May 3, 2015, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
I really don't mind a little bit of targeted advertising, but when the appearance is so annoying and distracting as to make it difficult to read the forum page ...
Old May 3, 2015, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oenophilist
Is it just me, or are the Flyertalk ads becoming extremely annoying lately? I know ads are personalized, but this is the only place I go where the ads are the flashy kind that I detest with a passion. I'm wondering if others see the same infuriatingly annoying ads, or if it is just me?
Yeah, today it's riddled with those shaky-window animated types, all garbage about an iPhone 6.
Old May 3, 2015, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're getting truly obnoxious ads, then you probably have some kind of malware. I don't think FT hosts flashing/shaky/generally obnoxious ads.

The idea that you can be banned for using/recommending an ad blocker is news to me. But please do remember that FT is a free service, and that ads pay for bandwidth and servers.
Old May 3, 2015, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for checking on that DenverBrian. There's also nothing in the legal notices addressing the use of ad blocking software, Grease Monkey scripts or the like.
I am the FT member who pointed that out.

I was told by that FT admin that regardless of what the TOS says he would have no problem suspending me the next time I discussed the use of ....... here on FT.

I was also told you could be suspended even for just using an Ad-blocker.

Go figure...
Old May 3, 2015, 11:26 pm
Original Member

Thanks for the backstory, nerd.

Mods are checking into the question of whether FT prohibits members from using or mentioning ....... in the forums. We'll get back to you soonest.

essxjay, the OMNIs co-mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.