Search

Searching All Open Forums

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2001, 10:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Searching All Open Forums

I can't seem to find th eoption for searching all open forums? Am I just missing it?
Old Mar 21, 2001, 11:53 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I think they removed it as it was probably tying up the server since it was such a slow laborious process.
Old Mar 21, 2001, 8:59 pm

So now the inefficient search process becomes also tedious.

Old Mar 27, 2001, 11:50 am

All right this is insane.

What the hay am I supposed to do.
Search forum by forum?

Upgrade those servers and let's get on with it. We're on the way to becoming too restrictive !!
Old Mar 27, 2001, 2:14 pm

Originally posted by Stephen loves Starwood:
Upgrade those servers and let's get on with it.

Please send FlyerTalk the charge information to which they can bill you for the upgraded servers and connection lines.
Old Mar 27, 2001, 2:22 pm
dan at WebFlyer

BlondeBomber hit it right on the head.

We've removed the global search function until we can either get a better server in place, or a better indexing solution implemented.

Because of the extreme growth of FlyerTalk over the last year alone, whenever a global search is performed, it can tax the server by as much as 30% while it searches through hundreds of thousands of postings. All it takes is for three or four people to do a global search at once, and suddenly FlyerTalk starts performing like cold molasses.

To alleviate this problem for the majority of users who are just perusing their favorite threads, we removed the global search option temporarily.

Stephen, we are working on either upgrading the servers or finding a more efficient bulletin board. Since we have limited resources, this isn't a "make it so and make it fast" deal. If you are searching for a program-specific topic, start with that program's forum, then try The Buzz and maybe In The News. This is why FlyerTalkers are always reminding each other to stay on topic, so that it's easier to find information within our current 388,000 posts.

We're sincerely sorry that we have to snip away a part of FlyerTalk in order to prevent it bringing down the board for everyone else, but we're between a rock and a hard place here.

Old Mar 27, 2001, 2:25 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for the efforts and the update Dan!
Old Mar 27, 2001, 4:25 pm

You are right Dan in that the main problem is that people get off topic.
As an example, under the Air/Canada Canadian forum, and under the banner "$145 change fee. This is Unbelievable!!!!" I really wanted to comment on this point but the topic moved to talking about upgrades for certain fares. Ummmm, hello ??!!

Anyways, maybe searches really should never have to go through every single forum/board/thread but rather through every section, i.e. @talk, Airline Program, Hotel Program, etc;.

For me at this point the most often used search function was in searching for my own posts.

Normally, I just browse through the topics and respond here and there. And I get so into my answers sometimes, I don't even remember what topic I'm under. But with the search option, a nice list used to pop up and I just read the most up-to-date ones. It was really convenient. I wouldn't mind doing 5 section-searches, but otherwise I have to keep a pen and paper handy and write down all the topics and board I responded to. This defeats the purpose of being in the computer age, no ?

And as to being charged Water Polo, I'll throw in a dollar into the pot everytime I use the general search function.
But I want a receipt !!!
Old May 2, 2001, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

... it can tax the server by as much as 30% while it searches through hundreds of thousands of postings. All it takes is for three or four people to do a global search at once .... we removed the global search option temporarily.
Someone who has told other prominent FT'ers he/she spent a GREAT deal of time actively 'stalking' all my posts each day using that function has recently publicly farewelled FT - to zero posted expressions of remorse from others.

I can just about bet Dan, that that function will not be used nearly as heavily now, in case the "temporary" cessation on it might be lifted for a trial period?

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old May 2, 2001, 6:25 am
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally posted by dan at WebFlyer:
BlondeBomber hit it right on the head.

We've removed the global search function until we can either get a better server in place, or a better indexing solution implemented.

If you are searching for a program-specific topic, start with that program's forum, then try The Buzz and maybe In The News.
Would it be possible to implement a "regional" search function? If you know what program, specifying that program isn't too hard, but the ability to search all the @Talk forums at once would be useful.
Old May 2, 2001, 11:04 am
dan at WebFlyer

I'll check and see if that regional search idea is feasible... thanks for the suggestion

Old May 2, 2001, 6:43 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
deleted at the request of board admin

[This message has been edited by markbach (edited 05-03-2001).]
Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
I realize the reason that the search feature limits it to forum by forum is to save time, but can't you install a "checkbox" which asks the user if the would like to search each forum..or not?

I need to find out some info on Iguassu Falls Brazil, and heaven forbid if I put it in the wrong forum i'll get "counseled" for not doing a search up front.

Can something be done about this search option?
Old Sep 2, 2003, 2:22 pm
dan at WebFlyer

The search limitation isn't as much to say you time as it is to reduce load on the servers. The scripts that UBB uses to search aren't very efficient, and global searches take a huge toll on the server.

Unfortunately, this will be an ongoing problem until we switch software and pump up our servers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.