Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When viewing a thread for the 2nd time I can no longer see NEW posts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2003, 12:30 am
Original Poster

When viewing a thread for the 2nd time I can no longer see NEW posts

Perhaps this has been addressed before but I couldn't find it in the Search or FAQ so here goes:

Here's an example of what's been happening to me sometimes: I click on a particular thread for the very first time, say that it has 4 posts with the most recent being posted at 6am on Jul 11. Later that day I see that the thread now has a total of 6 posts (i.e. two new posts since I last read it) with the most recent posted at 11am. When I click on the thread to view the new posts I'm only able to see the original 4 posts (i.e. the posts that I viewed the first time that I viewed the thread), I can't see the two new posts.

I've racked my brain trying to figure this out. I've done the following:

1. Deleted Temporary Internet Files
2. Cleared my browser's History
3. Rebooted the computers (it's not just one computer that I'm having this problem on)
4. I've even gone to the threads in question and clicked on the "FlyerTalkers send this thread via email" link and sent them to someone, once sent it returns me to the page - sometimes this works as once it returns I can see the new posts but sometimes it doesn't work.

I'm really scratching my head on this one, I'd greatly appreciate any help you could lend. Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2003, 9:02 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
This sounds like a (proxy) server is caching FT pages. Assuming you are using IE, a "forced refresh" (hold the CTRL key down when you refresh) might show you the real time page.

You should also make sure your browser looks for new content on "Every visit to the page".

Go to: tools - internet options - temporary internet files - settings - check Every visit to the page
Old Jul 19, 2003, 6:33 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Craig6z:
This sounds like a (proxy) server is caching FT pages. Assuming you are using IE, a "forced refresh" (hold the CTRL key down when you refresh) might show you the real time page.

You should also make sure your browser looks for new content on "Every visit to the page".

Go to: tools - internet options - temporary internet files - settings - check Every visit to the page
</font>
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, I'll give it a try and tell you what I find.

Old Jul 20, 2003, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

I am using Microsoft Internet Explorer and did try both techniques suggested above but unfortunately neither worked.

Any other suggestions out there? Thanks

[This message has been edited by yanxfann (edited 07-21-2003).]
Old Jul 20, 2003, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yanxfann:
I am using Microsoft Internet Explorer and did try both techniques suggested above but unfortunately neither worked.

Any other suggestions out there? Thanks
</font>
Several boards on FT do the same to me, I always manage to force a reload by doing rightclick-refresh and not the reload/F5 option.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Several boards on FT do the same to me, I always manage to force a reload by doing rightclick-refresh and not the reload/F5 option.</font>
Thanks ScottC, the rightclick-refresh trick has worked for me every time. I learn something new every day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.