Search

missing posts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2001, 8:05 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
missing posts

On KLM thread "How much are FD-awards" I posted a reply today. It posted correctly and appeared in the thread. Some hours later the reply wasn't there anymore.

My counter for the total posted replys is correct.
Old Dec 7, 2001, 4:16 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
More missing posts:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/003511.html

My post (which should have appeared between the posts timestamped 12-07-2001 04:05 AM and 12-07-2001 04:10 AM) also disappeared.

No sign of it yet...

[This message has been edited by MatthewClement (edited 12-07-2001).]
Old Dec 7, 2001, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
EEEEK! Matthew, I SAW it and REPLIED to it. So I know it was posted.

POST-BUSTERS (who you gonna call?)!!!
Old Dec 7, 2001, 10:00 am
dan at WebFlyer

We believe the missing posts were caused during our server switch. The DNS record took much longer to update than normal (usually takes 24-48 hours), and there was a short period during the switch over when the boards were turned back on. We think those missing posts ended up on the "old" FT (server), and since we're using the new server, they never migrated over.

Can you post again? At least they'll end up in the right place this time...

Sorry about that... we've never had a DNS switch take that long.

Old Dec 7, 2001, 10:10 am

I'm not trying to be pedantic about, but I'd be surprised if it were the DNS causing the problem. Here's why:

4:05am - I posted -- post showed up correctly on the thread
4:07am - I posted again to the same thread -- post missing
4:10am - I posted again to the same thread -- post showed up correctly

Because it's nested between two successful posts, we were obviously using the updated DNS entry -- there'd be no reason for it to revert to the old DNS entry for five minutes, then switch back again, would there?
Old Dec 7, 2001, 10:21 am
dan at WebFlyer

Good point...

I guess we were thinking it was the DNS since we had received feedback from some users saying they were seeing a "different" FT at work than they were seeing at home, which led us to believe it was a DNS caching issue.

Are your posts (#1 and #3) still visible on the new system? Also, you said you posted around 4am... is this board time, or your local (UK) time?

[This message has been edited by dan at WebFlyer (edited 12-07-2001).]

Old Dec 7, 2001, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Dan, I'll answer for Matthew since we were posting at each other when this happened.

1. Posts #1 and #3 are still visible (see thread referenced above)

2. The time was around 4 AM board time.
Old Dec 8, 2001, 1:39 am

Yeah...what he said!
Old Dec 12, 2001, 1:52 pm
dan at WebFlyer

Matthew, we're stumped on your missing post...

It does look like the server ate that post, or it may have been blocked somewhere by a downed router. When you posted the one that didn't end up actually going to the thread (the 2nd post), did it seem to go through initially at least? Did you get the "thank you for adding to the thread" confirmation message indicating that FT got your post?

Since the error didn't occur during the time we were moving things around, and we haven't had other missing thread postings, it could have been just a temp outage somewhere along the path. Or even at the FT server end.

Have you had any additional missing posts?

Old Dec 13, 2001, 3:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dan at WebFlyer:
When you posted the one that didn't end up actually going to the thread (the 2nd post), did it seem to go through initially at least? Did you get the "thank you for adding to the thread" confirmation message indicating that FT got your post?
</font>
I received the confirmation note, and then saw the thread *WITH MY NEW POST* appear correctly. When I added another post, the first one disappeared.

No more missing posts. Blame Gremlins and leave it at that, I suspect...
Old Dec 13, 2001, 10:26 am
dan at WebFlyer

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MatthewClement:
I received the confirmation note, and then saw the thread *WITH MY NEW POST* appear correctly. When I added another post, the first one disappeared.</font>
that's a weird one definitely... if it's a gremlin, I hope it stays scarce...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.