Wiki Posts
Search

FALSE Virus alert [there is NO malware on your computer]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:23 am

PITA - yes, it is a PITA
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:28 am

Programs: not a lot
For anyone on ie9 if you install the tracking protection list from here:http://www.privacychoice.org/trackerblock/ie9

Then it will block most ads. Not sure if you are allowed to block ads here or not but I didn't ask for them to redirect me to dodgy websites either.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:19 am
uk1
Suspended

I'd really appreciate an update on how this is being resolved.

I posted the Norton tracking information to the email address previously in the thread but heard nothing more.

The concerns are obvious. Not only will there be FT'ers without any virus protection being infected but also that other platforms may be targetted.

Can we have an update URGENTLY please?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:12 am

This has happened to be just now for the second time so I'm afraid I can't take the risk anymore so will not be using flyertalk again! Perhaps once the problem is found and corrected the administrators could email everyone and let them know (if that is possible?)

Thanks to everyone who has helped with my queries and happy flying to everyone!!

Jay

Just read the previous post from Paul - will try the forum using chrome and see if it stops! Thanks Paul, I really enjoy reading this forum - have only just recently found it too - and would like to continue using it.

Last edited by Jay2261; Jul 26, 2012 at 6:18 am Reason: Read previous post from Paul
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:29 am

Just happened again, but this time with a twist. No virus message - just a totally blank page. URL is http://vulnerabilitytestingwarder.pl...84cb2/pr2/196/
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I've also gotten this twice. Both times, the URL was antivirustestcenter.pl. Forced to use IE on my work laptop. Just shut down IE both times to get rid of it.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Hit this again this morning.

Neil
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:14 am

I'm still getting this on two computers. It only happens once a day on each computer. It seems to happen about every 24 hours as well.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:50 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I did NOT get it today on IE. First time (just logged in a few minutes ago).
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Why Is FlyerTalk Trying to Give My Computer a Virus?

I clicked on FlyerTalk on my home computer the other day. A warning pops up in the middle saying that my computer has a virus (but not from my anti-virus system). FlyerTalk is the only site where this happens. What gives?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Moving this thread to Technical Issues where it can be viewed and responded to by Internet Brands admins.

Cholula
OMNI CO-MODERATOR
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH-S WS-G
Are you up to something now. I came to FT and the page started to load and then i was taken to ?

http://0.0.0.196/

this left me with a blank screen
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler
Very disappointed in flyertalk....the malware took over my computer last week and it blocked all internet access...it wanted 80 dollars with a visa or mastercard....luckily I had 2 users on the computer and only I was blocked so i downloaded on the other user Malwarebytes and it took 2 hours to clean my computer.....it had loaded the malware Live Platinum Security....now when I go back to flyertalk the pop up still appears ....your competer is infected...whether you click yes or no...it will relaunch the malware....all I can do is unplug the internet connection and reboot the computer.....can anyone explain the association of this malware to flyertalk....??????
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:37 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Exclamation

Hi everyone,

Once again, there is *no* malware on FlyerTalk.

We are working to determine which advertisement is causing this messaging to occur.

This kind of advertising is *not* approved by FT, and will immediately be blocked when it is located. Meanwhile, be assured that despite the message it shows you, you do not have a virus (from this) and FT is not infected. This is an advertisement that appears to be exploiting a hole in *Internet Explorer* to show a *false* virus alert.

One way to avoid it is to switch browsers to Chrome or Firefox.

I'll update as soon as I have new information; thank you for your continued patience while we work to block this ad.

Paul
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by spd476
I'm still getting this on two computers. It only happens once a day on each computer. It seems to happen about every 24 hours as well.
Yeah, should have mentioned this before, but I get this exactly once a day. No more, no less. Don't know if that provides any hints to the source at all. Also, yesterday and today I ended up with a "IE can not display this page" rather than the pop-up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.