Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FALSE Virus alert [there is NO malware on your computer]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:03 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Thank you all for reporting this; we're looking into it and we'll update as soon as we have any information, though a thorough scan of FlyerTalk last week revealed no cause for alarm.

Paul
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:45 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Hi all,

We are working to see where this "virus" message is coming from.

You can help us by capturing a FULL PAGE screenshot (to get the ads in the shot as well) and posting it here or emailing it to me at paul.obrien (at) internetbrands.com.

If someone can also right-click on the page and copy & paste the View Page Source information, that'd be helpful. Since this is an intermittent issue that is affecting only a small percentage of users, it's difficult for us to replicate & trace.

Thank you,

Paul
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:54 pm
uk1
Suspended

Several times ...IE with W7 picked up by Norton.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:48 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
You've got mail.

This is a particularly nasty one.

Originally Posted by IBobi
Hi all,

You can help us by capturing a FULL PAGE screenshot (to get the ads in the shot as well) and posting it here or emailing it to me at paul.obrien (at) internetbrands.com.

If someone can also right-click on the page and copy & paste the View Page Source information, that'd be helpful. Since this is an intermittent issue that is affecting only a small percentage of users, it's difficult for us to replicate & trace.

Thank you,

Paul
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
[snip]

This is a particularly nasty one.
Could you explain? Is there a possibility that we might have virus infections that might be difficult to detect?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:18 pm

I Googled the words,

"You need to clean your computer to prevent the system crash"

and I got a number of hits. From one of those websites, I gathered that the first might attempt to install a Trojan called "Windows ProSecurity Scanner." I Googled that term also and found a lot of hits re how to remove it if infected.

That's just FYI, to illustrate that this matter has been around awhile before it ever hit FT. I'd be afraid of the websites that offer to remove the alleged Trojan as well as the alleged Trojan threat. But my point is that there is some information out there evidently.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Originally Posted by Polar Man
Twice in the last two days while using FT i have had a pop up appear. It is designed to make it look like MS security essentials notice.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Braybuddy/MS.jpg
i have gotten it also, and last month as well. i thought i had gotten it off, but then when I signed onto flyertalk again. its definetly in this program. what a pain.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Is this popup coming up on any flyer talk thread? I normally only go onto American, One world or Marriott theads.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by trekker954
Is this popup coming up on any flyer talk thread? I normally only go onto American, One world or Marriott theads.
That's a thought. Maybe it can be tracked to a specific forum. Although, this thing only hits me when I first click on MyFlyerTalk, not when I go to a forum.

Still, of the list above the only one I subscribe to is Marriott.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by IBobi
Hi all,

Thank you,

Paul
Paul,

I would be willing to do this, but when I get hit the page goes blank and I just get the popup. Will grab the source the next time, but I suspect it will not be the FT source.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michilander
I do get a log entry in Norton for every one of these and I get a pop-up alert saying it stopped an attack. Even posted a couple of partial log entires earlier in the thread. Every scan I have run for this problem has come back clean.
Strange, my Norton never picked this up (and it is up-to-date). I did run a full scan last night and it came back clean. Still, I keep getting that JETCOMP error which I am pretty sure is related to this. I guess no banking from this computer for a while...
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Been happening to me as well the last few days... same one as everyone else is seeing... usually happens first time I jump on the site whilst surfing..
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:48 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
Happened to me as well tonight. Only on Flyertalk.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Happened to me a few times as well since Sunday both on my home laptop and work PC which have different virus detection programs. And it's only when I access flyertalk. Sometimes it happens as soon as I go to flyertalk and today it happened after being on the site a while after I posted a message. The only way to get out of it is to open the task manager and shut IE down.

It doesn't happen on my IPAD though.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I got the virus alert twice yesterday and once again this morning. It is always from the same IP address but the website changes. This morning's website was "performancetestprevention.pl" It seems when I go from one website (like a news website) to FT. I use Windows IE 7. I am just glad I Norton to protect me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.