Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Received spam at my dedicated Flyertalk email address

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Received spam at my dedicated Flyertalk email address

I have a dedicated email address that I use for Flyertalk and Flyertalk only.

It is stored in my account preferences. It receives Talkmail and notifications about PMs and subscribed threads. It receives occasional emails from moderators (e.g., when I have reported a bad post).

It has never been used for any other purpose. It has never been used to send email.

I have today received a spam message at this unique dedicated address.

It was sent from a Hotmail account - almost definitely a hacked account.

It was one of those messages that are designed to lure the recipient to a web site with promises of cheap electronic gadgets. As I understand it anyone who goes that web site will end up downloading a Trojan (and their webmail accounts will be the next to send out these messages...)

My address must have, somehow, leaked out from Flyertalk - either direct (i.e., via an infected machine in Flyertalk's network) or, possibly more likely, via a moderator who was unfortunate enough to get infected.

Has anyone else received any spam/viruses/etc at dedicated Flyertalk email addresses?

BTW, the spam I received came from a Chinese IP address (222.88.234.61). The hacked Hotmail account was in a female name of Spanish/Portuguese origin.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:32 pm

Aviatrix,

We have no reason to believe that Flyertalk's database of user emails has been compromised, and we just finished a security sweep of the site's servers that would have notified us of any infected machines on the network.

It's also worth noting that the only time any outside party has access to user email addresses is for the newsletter. Even moderators can't see your email addresses. The only exception to this is when you use the "email user" function of the site. Whenever you contact member through the "email member" option, you are giving them your forum email address. (which is why there is a warning on that page that reads "Note: By using this form, your email address will become available to the user who you are emailing.")

Other than that, I can't think of how this address ended up out in the ether.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Some spammers just try a dictionary of combinations looking for a hit.

Eg:

[email protected]
[email protected]

It's possible that this is how it got to you.

One of my favourite techniques is to use myemailaddress+<siteaddress>@domain.com. For example, [email protected] to sign up to sites. That one really lets you know who's selling, as most dictionary attacks won't use the + sign designation in their routines.

Just food for thought
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I always provide a dedicated email address to each Web site. Many times I've received spam at these addresses, but not yet at my FlyerTalk email address.

The one disturbing trend is that whenever I report what seems like a breach, the issue has always been dismissed for the reasons stated above.

But in most of these cases, none of those reasons apply: The email addresses were given only to one site, were never used to send mail, and were not subject to a dictionary attack (or else my catch-all address would have evidence of that).

My only conclusion is there is a breach somewhere (perhaps even on my side), but IME, nobody seems to want to take it seriously enough to investigate. I always end up disabling the dedicated email address, updating the site with a new dedicated one, and crossing my fingers that it was a fluke.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99
I always provide a dedicated email address to each Web site. Many times I've received spam at these addresses, but not yet at my FlyerTalk email address.

The one disturbing trend is that whenever I report what seems like a breach, the issue has always been dismissed for the reasons stated above.

But in most of these cases, none of those reasons apply: The email addresses were given only to one site, were never used to send mail, and were not subject to a dictionary attack (or else my catch-all address would have evidence of that).

My only conclusion is there is a breach somewhere (perhaps even on my side), but IME, nobody seems to want to take it seriously enough to investigate. I always end up disabling the dedicated email address, updating the site with a new dedicated one, and crossing my fingers that it was a fluke.
mikew99, in this statement, are you talking about times when this happens on other sites, or with this site?

I can think of one other time when someone posted that their private flyertalk-only email address was receiving spam "from internet brands" and that was disproved.

I want to ensure all Flyertalkers that we do make sure to keep your private information secure.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by IB-Dick
mikew99, in this statement, are you talking about times when this happens on other sites, or with this site?
It's happened to me at other sites, NOT FlyerTalk! Even so, I've used my FlyerTalk email outside of FT, so if I ever receive spam there, it would be impossible to isolate to FT.

Two sites where it's happened include Dell and Priceline (twice!). Glad to see that you take these reports seriously and investigate. ^
Old Mar 9, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
I just stopped by to post a similar thread. My isolated, FT only email just received its first ever spam, strangely enough claiming to be from a quilting message board. This email has never been posted anywhere, nor used for anything else. Hopefully it is isolated, and more people don't start getting it too.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 4:56 pm

Angry Houston, we have a problem

Originally Posted by edlin303
I just stopped by to post a similar thread. My isolated, FT only email just received its first ever spam, strangely enough claiming to be from a quilting message board. This email has never been posted anywhere, nor used for anything else. Hopefully it is isolated, and more people don't start getting it too.
I also got a spam from the quilting message board

Headers (censored)

Received: from mta.travel.ibemail.com ([66.231.95.39]:39508)
by <my server> with esmtp (my server)
(envelope-from <bounce-87_TEXT-46339873-183580-1022693-0@bounce.travel.ibemail.com>)
id 1PxSri-00099o-En
for (my e-mail); Wed, 09 Mar 2011 18:32:30 -0500
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; s=200608; d=lifestyle.ibemail.com;
h=From:To:Subjectate:List-Unsubscribe:MIME-Version:Reply-To:Message-ID:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; [email protected];
bh=4ukm8rFM99VmObnxG9gv+//8eFQ=;
b=jbOof+bAzSS4tF19aqNBZkIcRtvWtznsjBK6dshG19iHHGTm VCc30ZkCLN9obvwqx6euDizLZJ9m
D0jVAEQFb34pBl4CmDoKbXMyBKCYiy0ZtvDuNsS35e8LBkkV2D DmEUApy0AWQYWbVgJZ81xkVrv2
hTUW2UIf4a5J9v9gLns=
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; q=dns; s=200608; d=lifestyle.ibemail.com;
b=E7m5pht6CH34GoRrMOYfmhnu/VYWi3+6WLiOVVCb8t50pOm0m5fMLkuY2k0RshxaD+1513WZd85 x
GWn2SS4gqcn813wsqhT8WUnYbwKUU8oBY31JIYB8xlfih4iKdi hXLPyYFPzHUixx+nBkTxDbD4X1
f0o/XglCYVjyU0JQ9HY=;
Received: by mta.travel.ibemail.com (PowerMTA(TM) v3.5r13) id hf18qc0ie1s0 for <my email>; Wed, 9 Mar 2011 22:19:52 -0600 (envelope-from <bounce-87_TEXT-46339873-183580-1022693-0@bounce.travel.ibemail.com>)
To: <my email>
Subject: Hello Valued Customer here is your March 9 Quilting Newsletter
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 17:31:06 -0600
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:leave-fd6c1c771a20513531-fe54107676670d757217-fec6157876610c7d-fe9815707766027476-ffcf14@leave.travel.ibemail.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Reply-To: "Quilted Paradise" <reply-fec6157876610c7d-87_TEXT-46339873-1022693-0@lifestyle.ibemail.com>
x-job: 1022693_183580
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Note that my e-mail is specifically tagged so I can identify which site it was registered on - and in this case, its flyertalk

P.S. sorry, the headers appear to have been mangled somehow, particularly the long DKIM lines

Last edited by scotty72; Mar 9, 2011 at 4:57 pm Reason: add P.S.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Got it too

I got the quilting spam too.

And I've just done a Whois on the sending domain (hostname mta.travel.ibemail.com) and it turns out that ibemail.com is registered to none other than Internet Brands.

In other words

We are being spammed by the people who run Flyertalk.

How dare they????
Old Mar 9, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Don't think you have to go too far to find the answer to this one.....

QuiltingBoard.com, an Internet Brands company.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
I got the quilting spam too.

And I've just done a Whois on the sending domain (hostname mta.travel.ibemail.com) and it turns out that ibemail.com is registered to none other than Internet Brands.

In other words

We are being spammed by the people who run Flyertalk.

How dare they????
I agree - I just got the same email to my ONLY FOR FLYERTALK email (I use [email protected] style tagging, where companyname is, for example, 'flyertalk' and 'mysecretdomain.com' is a domain I created especially for this purpose).

- Tim
Old Mar 9, 2011, 5:23 pm

I suspect that someone at IB screwed up and sent the quilting message to the wrong group of users. However it is a mistake that should have been caught much much earlier in the process and there is automation that could have prevented this from happening in the first place.

Still, we need IB to step forward and admit the screw up and tell us what happened and what they're going to do to stop it from happening again, or my e-mail account will vanish and they won't be able to send me any more e-mail EVER AGAIN.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 5:27 pm

So will this new marketing push be confirmed by the powers that be? In a decade I have never received any message at this address other than Flyertalk communications, until I received this quilting spam today. I suppose it's marginally reassuring that it is not a security breach or a sale of our contact information to a third party.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 5:31 pm

I have to wonder if the people on the quilting board got a message about flyertalk....
Old Mar 9, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by artboy
So will this new marketing push be confirmed by the powers that be? In a decade I have never received any message at this address other than Flyertalk communications, until I received this quilting spam today. I suppose it's marginally reassuring that it is not a security breach or a sale of our contact information to a third party.
I got the quilting spam as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.