Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

What are my options if I cancel my booking now- TAP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2024, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

I book 4 ticket with TAP for LIS/Rome for April travel from Chicago. Tickets were booked in mid 2023.
My traveling dates can change for later in the year or even next year in 2025,so what are my options ?

1) Cancel all 4 tickets and loose everything.
2) Cancel the dates, keep the ticket but move dates to later in the year. This case I still have to pay the cancellation fees and the new ticket prices correct ?

What will be the best way out with less $$ damage to the wallet. Original tickets were like $550 per ticket.
All 4 tickets were on same booking not separate.

Edit: I was just looking at my booking and observed that my flight from LIS to FCO Rome and FCO to LIS are cancelled . My final destination was FCO Rome with layover in Lisbon.
If that's the case then I should get a Full refund or a full voucher credit to be used for future flights with TAP or associate . Correct ?

I talk to CS rep and he ask me to submit for an online refund. I can get a voucher or a full refund since flights are cancelled by TAP. I went online and request a full refund back to my CC.
I forget which CC I used though...

Last edited by freshwater100; Jan 29, 2024 at 4:56 pm
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:29 pm

You were lucky that they happened to cancel one of the legs in your PNR. My recommendation is to always take cash and avoid the vouchers with TP.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 12:03 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / A3 Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold / TP Silver
Originally Posted by freshwater100
I talk to CS rep and he ask me to submit for an online refund. I can get a voucher or a full refund since flights are cancelled by TAP. I went online and request a full refund back to my CC.
I forget which CC I used though...
you should have asked the CS rep to confirm the amount of money to be refunded , cause TP is well know to ''skip'' important details like we will refund you ..... but only taxes and fees
estrela likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fifty_two
you should have asked the CS rep to confirm the amount of money to be refunded , cause TP is well know to ''skip'' important details like we will refund you ..... but only taxes and fees
Yes you are correct. I just check that they only refund me ~$400 instead of ~$2100 of the amount to my CC on Feb 1.
I called them back and they told me I should get full refund but I have to file a complaint and explain to them .
So I just file a complaint on their site. Will wait for the reply now.

this is crazy and absurd ...

to be on safe side I also file a dispute with my Citi CC for this transaction..
estrela likes this.

Last edited by freshwater100; Feb 5, 2024 at 12:56 pm
Old Feb 6, 2024, 6:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Yes you are correct. I just check that they only refund me ~$400 instead of ~$2100 of the amount to my CC on Feb 1.
see below comments i made on a similar case with TAP few days ago , gosh i think we should just write it down in a wiki as a sticky thread in the TAP sub-section of flyertalk

Lesson learned , next time when asking for any kind of refund , ask agent to confirm the amount to be refunded and then an email confirmation stating what he said
TAP plays stupid and slow to avoid giving money , as others said , connect with your credit card issuer or bank if issue doesnt get resolve after some time

Provide them whatever needed but if tap dont send money back then escalate it

Next time book your TP flight last minute or few days before departure , otherwise avoid them cause its regular TAP behaviour

They are cheap on TATL routes between US and Europe for a reason , and you got trapped into it

They will only act normally if US DoT fine them

Last edited by fifty_two; Feb 6, 2024 at 6:28 am
Old Feb 7, 2024, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

see below comments i made on a similar case with TAP few days ago , gosh i think we should just write it down in a wiki as a sticky thread in the TAP sub-section of flyertalk
They now asking me all type of info like Bank account numbers, addresses, statements even though I used a Citi CC.
Each passenger ID and a written signed request for a refund.

Last 3 years I got refund back from Turkish and Lufthansa and no questions asked within 7 days back to my CC.
TAP is CRAZY....
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:48 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

They now asking me all type of info like Bank account numbers, addresses, statements even though I used a Citi CC.
Each passenger ID and a written signed request for a refund..
Were the 4 tickets under a single booking ?

Last 3 years I got refund back from Turkish and Lufthansa and no questions asked within 7 days back to my CC.
TAP is CRAZY....
I already explained everything no need to say it again but welcome to the circus
tmac100 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Were the 4 tickets under a single booking ?

I already explained everything no need to say it again but welcome to the circus
Yes all 4 tickets were under single booking.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 2:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Yes all 4 tickets were under single booking.
ok so its just TAP playing stupid to slow the process , do what they want and then next time dont fall into the trap of booking the cheapest (or if you do come here and ask feedback before)

Also , especially since covid , i recommend to delay your bookings to the latest possible .
Old Feb 8, 2024, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Totally agree to confirm what the cash refund will be. I did not and only received the taxes back.

They don't even want to change an economy ticket for a cash payment upgrade to Exec/Business class.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

They send me email again and asking Names, address and my Bank account number so they can refund.
But I use CC not a Bank check for the initial payments . Should I provide them with this info ?Why they asking my Bank info for checking account.
  1. Account Holder Name
  2. Name of Bank
  3. Bank Country
  4. Routing Number ( not sure what to use here, international wire transfer or the one on my check which is for domestic use)
  5. Account number
  6. Address
  7. City
  8. Local Zip Code
  9. State

Last edited by freshwater100; Feb 9, 2024 at 8:54 pm Reason: miss
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:43 am
Accor Contributor Badge

They send me email again and asking Names, address and my Bank account number so they can refund.
But I use CC not a Bank check for the initial payments . Should I provide them with this info ?Why they asking my Bank info for checking account.
  1. Account Holder Name
  2. Name of Bank
  3. Bank Country
  4. Routing Number ( not sure what to use here, international wire transfer or the one on my check which is for domestic use)
  5. Account number
  6. Address
  7. City
  8. Local Zip Code
  9. State
They are playing stupid , to delay payment and eventually hope you will give up and keep the money

TAP shoud refund you through the same channel by which you paid , period

Have you had or heard similar case in the US where an online merchant , after CC payment comes and reimburse by wire transfer ? Most likely no , so why starts now ?

Escalate this case to the DoT and ask what exactly should be done, thats the only way TAP understands

If you accept wire transfer , you will have to wait longer and will still be trapped and fooled due to the fact that your bank account is in the US (assuming the point of sales was USA and currency was USD) , in this case , they cant use SEPA , so you have 2 most likely outcomes
  • 1 = they can ONLY do SEPA but will tell you that only AFTER they receive and analyze data you provided and will keep delaying reimbursement again
  • 2 = if it will be a SWIFT transfer then TAP will most likely select BEN option (more details here) and whatever vampires in the middle will take big commissions out of it
When a merchant reimburse you through card issuer network , they have to pay fees for that and its a pure loss cause they have to reimburse you everything, and if they cross a threshold of chargebacks then Visa/MC/Amex will charge them even higher rates , so they have to take care of that, similar way you take care of your credit score like your health (hope you get the idea)

While a SEPA transfer is free or very cheap , if it is SWIFT they will just trick you , let you pay the fees and then when you see the amount of money refunded to your bank account being less than what you paid by 50$ or 100$; they will say "hey you asked for it , its not our fault , its the issuing + partner banks who takes high commissions" , and you cant ask your CC issuer for help since it was settled through wire transfer
freshwater100 likes this.

Last edited by fifty_two; Feb 10, 2024 at 6:56 am
Old May 6, 2024, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Update: No response and No refund to my Bank account.
I am going to file a complain with DoT USA.
Any links for DoT to file the complain ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.