Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Choosing between United and TAP IAD to LIS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:51 am
Original Poster

considerations - optimizing miles earned, comfort, overall experience (food, customer service, seat comfort)
Can't seem to figure out which miles are better to earn, United or TAP, would become a new TAP member to earn the miles for this trip.
Airplanes are: United: Boeing 767; TAP Airbus A321 neo
Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by davisdonna
considerations - optimizing miles earned, comfort, overall experience (food, customer service, seat comfort)
Can't seem to figure out which miles are better to earn, United or TAP, would become a new TAP member to earn the miles for this trip.
Airplanes are: United: Boeing 767; TAP Airbus A321 neo
Thanks in advance!
I can't answer your question about the relative quality of the two flights (and you don't say in what class of service you would be traveling), but you do not have to credit your flight to the same airline as the one you are flying. Assuming that you book a qualifying fare, TP and UA flights can be credited to any Star Alliance FFP. (Earning rates can vary from one program to another, as can redemption rates and fees.)
Old Jun 7, 2023, 1:25 pm

UA for both, crystal clear choice:
UA miles do not expire, you have less clown surcharges, lower redemtion amounts and much lower risk of bankrupcy.

In addition you never know how many miles you get credited with TP outside their own program.

And for TP as airline just read a few reviews. I would only choose TP if the price is extremely cheap such as 100 oneway in Y or 500 in C what they offer regularly.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 9:19 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
While the 321neo is a better aircraft, I would choose United for a couple of reasons:
1. Meal service is quick and lights are out about an hour after takeoff. TP takes forever to do meal service.
2. IRROPS are handled better by UA than TP.
3. E+ on UA is a better hard product than E+ on TP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.