Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does TAP weigh hand baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2023, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Brendacruise
yes the depth thing has me puzzled as well. I’ve looked everywhere for an 8 depth and the only carryon I can find in Canada are underseaters that will fit. I found a kids carryon that I may buy. When in Europe I may look around so this doesn’t happen again.
I fly in a couple weeks. I will report back
I found couple of them on Amazon with 7.5" Depth. I order one already. They can be expand to 10" if needed. They are 2 wheel Rollers.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 12:38 pm

Unfortunately Amazon.ca does not carry same. I’ve looked intensely. Lol. ( Canada ) we can’t get the same on .com
Old Apr 19, 2023, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by mrkymark
Thanks for that. Then that prob makes an A group purchase probably useless.

Can I ask then does TAP weight it and if overweight help you check it in as a complimentary service to relieve on board congestion or do they demand payment for checking it in like a Spirit or Frontier?

And lastly does A B C boarding group assignment get determined by location ie back to front, window or aisle, or fare class?
I haven't seen gate agents weight carry on luggage however I have seen gate agents asking flyers to check in rolling luggage if they did not fit into the metal sizer.

As for boarding, when I travelled in February and March, boarding was based on class and then I believe by zone. I can't confirm how the zones worked because on the economy flights we took a bus from the terminal to the plane and had to get out of the bus to board the plane it was pretty much a free for all once you get off that bus. I believe it may have been front to back as I was in row 15 and had zone B. Hope that helps!
Old Apr 20, 2023, 3:26 pm

Unfortunately Amazon.ca does not carry same. I’ve looked intensely. Lol. ( Canada ) we can’t get the same on .com
If you have Walmart then they do have some with 6.5 to 8 inches in Depth in store and they not that bad looking either.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by freshwater100
If you have Walmart then they do have some with 6.5 to 8 inches in Depth in store and they not that bad looking either.
that’s exactly where I got one although I wanted 4 wheels. These ones have 2.

I’ve used it for 2 trips already and it actually lasts. Was only $28 lol. But it falls over if u try to put a bag on it thus why I want a better one

i am going to shop for a roller bag while in Europe this time.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 5:17 pm

that’s exactly where I got one although I wanted 4 wheels. These ones have 2.

I’ve used it for 2 trips already and it actually lasts. Was only $28 lol. But it falls over if u try to put a bag on it thus why I want a better one

i am going to shop for a roller bag while in Europe this time.
Strange. My Walmart do have 4 wheels Rollers around $32.. Carry In last longer since you are the one handling the luggage not the folks who throws the checked luggage and break the wheels.
I now Prefer 2 wheels for Checked luggage since I have 3 broken full size luggage . All of them has wheels broken and hard to replace the Wheels they way they broke them.
Brendacruise likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 2:57 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by mrkymark
Thanks for that. Then that prob makes an A group purchase probably useless.
Given the consistently chaotic boarding with TP (not only in LIS), purchasing A group can only be called a scam. Never saw ground handling agents enforce boarding groups.
Once on the plane with the curtain well closed behind things begin to be relaxed.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 12:44 pm

Flew TP first time on LIS-SFO recently and wow they literally set up checkpoints at the gate to weigh everyone's bags, with queue barriers, security people guarding the perimeters, and two ground staff with credit card terminals in hand ready to collect payments. Saw a poor French couple having to pay 200 euros since they can't really ditch their baby stuff, and a guy getting a scolding by the security guard for squeezing by into the "cleared" waiting area since he only has one tiny backpack. I cannot be sure but I saw the 8kg + 2kg sign as well and saw someone repacking after weighing 9.5 kg. Not to mention the long line this created and the delayed boarding as a result.

Very few airport situations surprise me now after years of flying but this was a shock to me. I pack light so it didn't affect me, but honestly certified worse ground experience than Ryanair and EasyJet.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by 83914673
Flew TP first time on LIS-SFO recently and wow they literally set up checkpoints at the gate to weigh everyone's bags, with queue barriers, security people guarding the perimeters, and two ground staff with credit card terminals in hand ready to collect payments. Saw a poor French couple having to pay 200 euros since they can't really ditch their baby stuff, and a guy getting a scolding by the security guard for squeezing by into the "cleared" waiting area since he only has one tiny backpack. I cannot be sure but I saw the 8kg + 2kg sign as well and saw someone repacking after weighing 9.5 kg. Not to mention the long line this created and the delayed boarding as a result.

Very few airport situations surprise me now after years of flying but this was a shock to me. I pack light so it didn't affect me, but honestly certified worse ground experience than Ryanair and EasyJet.
I was able to dodge weighing in LIS just by arriving to the gate before they set up last time I flew with TAP (somewhere earlier in this thread).

Had a two year old in tow and I knew my large backpack could have been slightly over but I could have taken my laptop bag, which was inside it, out if necessary. My daughter also had a toddler sized backpack but I think between us there wouldn’t have been any problems anyways.

Kind of shocking to hear the treatment. Most airlines I’ve flown have been very reasonable about traveling with babies, between bags and boarding and all.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:16 am

Data Points

EWR to Lisbon. No sizing or weighing. The flight at the adjacent gate to OPO was sizing some obvious huge bags

Lisbon to ORY. No sizing or weighing

ORY to Lisbon. No sizing or weighing

Lisbon to JFK. Sizing and weighing of everyone except premium pax.
Old May 3, 2023, 9:07 am

It was really quite random yesterday in Lisbon. I saw 2 or 3 get searched in a little area set aside from the waiting area. Maybe 20 - 30 people were selected for weighing, some were obviously over, and some were just random checks. There were some obviously over (weight and size) but were ignored.. My wife and I had no issues, but we were in compliance, so we had nothing to worry about. The plane (LIS-EWR) was maybe 2/3 full, so there was space in the overheads and it was all unnecessary in the end.

Lisbon Airport, gets maybe 1.5 stars, only because we found some great food.. take that as saying I hate the bus thing to the tarmac..
DiamondMile and estrela like this.

Last edited by galeaoguy; May 3, 2023 at 10:26 am
Old May 10, 2023, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA
More data points:
LIS - TFS, no sizing or weighing.
OPO - LIS, no sizing or weighing.
Looks like Schengen flights are not subject to the size / weigh check.

Agree with the assessment of LIS airport. Avoid if you could help it. Also budget about 1h time in Lisbon traffic to get to the airport despite the relative short distance, unless you're going there in early morning or late evening.
estrela likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Just flew back LIS-JFK yesterday on TP 209 on A330 Neo, flight was 98% full. GA set up ahead of gate ops, rolling the scale into position with metal sizer near-by (not used) with barriers & staff plus security, strictly controlled those enter the assigned gate area. Just about everyone coming in were eyeballed by the 2 TAP employees policing the bags, checking weights of the luggage, sometimes with the personal bag & even outwear/jacket together. We counted at least 10 flyers "caught" and a number of them giving the option to re-pack and go check their bags - at least 4 to 5 ended up, despite protests, pulling out their credit card to "tap" and pay or swipe their card for instant payment/fund transfer - before being allowed to enter & proceed to check-in with the counter reps for seat assignment, etc.

LISbon Airport - Flight status display board

Gate N45A: notice portable scale used to check traveler's hand luggage on TP 209, LIS-JFK non-stop A330 Neo

TP 209, flight boarding sequence, Business/First & Premium, then Group A, B and C
36902BRF likes this.

Last edited by Letitride3c; May 11, 2023 at 6:50 am Reason: typo
Old May 10, 2023, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
even outwear/jacket .
did they weigh the jacket if you were wearing it, or only if it was on your arm like the woman in the photo?

I was planning on wearing a coat with deep pockets to store heavier items.
Old May 11, 2023, 6:49 am

Last week there were also checks in the S-Schengen area to FRA and BRU.

Around 5 people per gate, makes sense with low portuguese salaries and hefty baggage fees as long as they do not strike.

0* again for TP, 1* for the airport which remains the worst in Europe but at least fast lane worked this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.