FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go-767/)
-   -   Does TAP weigh hand baggage? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go/2046015-does-tap-weigh-hand-baggage.html)

nsx Jul 7, 2021 5:15 am

Does TAP weigh hand baggage?

Should I worry about the 8 kg limit or the 8 inch thickness limit for hand baggage? I might be slightly over both limits.

I recall fretting about strict enforcement of limits on RyanAir years ago, but when I flew them I saw almost no enforcement.

IAN-UK Jul 7, 2021 5:50 am

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 33387192)
Should I worry about the 8 kg limit or the 8 inch thickness limit for hand baggage? I might be slightly over both limits.

I recall fretting about strict enforcement of limits on RyanAir years ago, but when I flew them I saw almost no enforcement.

!00's of flights with TP, and no-one has ever shown interest in my hand-baggage. Although I have seen them getting busy with interesting looking bags on long-haul services, particularly to their niche destinations in africa (Sao Tome, Bissau etc).

I've heard friends complain of over-zealous agents at US airports, but these were friends likely to have overshot the limits by generous margins.

So I'd say you could relax - with the caveat you might find yourself with an unsympathetic agent on the day.

AAdvantageFlyer Jul 7, 2021 3:49 pm

in general with the national carriers if your bag isn't bloated looking they won't bother weighing it; it's not worth their time they have too many customers to service - believe me - i've been flying with an overweight carry on for years

tff Jul 8, 2021 2:47 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 33387241)
!00's of flights with TP, and no-one has ever shown interest in my hand-baggage. Although I have seen them getting busy with interesting looking bags on long-haul services, particularly to their niche destinations in africa (Sao Tome, Bissau etc).

I've heard friends complain of over-zealous agents at US airports, but these were friends likely to have overshot the limits by generous margins.

So I'd say you could relax - with the caveat you might find yourself with an unsympathetic agent on the day.

Same here.

SK AAR Jul 8, 2021 5:45 am

Even Ryanair is like this. I have seen many rucksacks clearly exceeding the (tiny) dimensions for small bag allowed for free with Ryanair but as long as it is not too obvious or a trolley it will be fine. However, trying to bring a carry-on trolley as your bag without purchase of "Priority and 2 cabin bags" add-on, is likely to fail, i.e. you will be asked to pay at boarding.

36902BRF Jul 9, 2021 8:33 am

No experience with TAP directly but I travel with a single 30L (so small enough to fit under a seat) black bag that has everything I need in it. It is small but exceeds the allowed weight on some carrier by a fair margin. Because it is fairly small, black and I carry like a back (and not a backpack) when boarding I have never been weighed, thankfully. Even on some carrier with a reputation for doing so. Basically if you are going to exceed the limit do it in a non-obvious manner and you'll probably be fine.

nsx Jul 10, 2021 9:26 am

Result: Hand baggage (of reasonable size near the limits) was not weighed.

yonajon Oct 31, 2022 9:32 am

Anyone have any recent experiences with TAP on this, especially in business? They allow 10kg, but I'm usually around ~12kg, especially in colder months. I've read reports on other forums of checks at the jet bridge.

corporate-wage-slave Oct 31, 2022 4:17 pm

No they are most unlikely to weigh bags. On shorthaul services (Europe and North Africa) then if the flight is full the sizer may occasionally be deployed, but even then a business class passengers is unlikely to have much difficulty. Clearly if you want certainty then you best pack 9.9 kgs since no-one can be sure that a blind eye will be turned.

yonajon Nov 1, 2022 12:26 am

Thanks, I'm looking at TLV-LIS-TLV. I have seen reports of checks, especially at LIS, when people are boarding.

36902BRF Nov 1, 2022 9:24 am

I did four flights with TAP this year. The only place I saw them checking bags was at gate in Lisbon for return to US. This was based on size not weight and they gave a pass to folks in J. My bag is more than 10KG always but because it is a small 30l bag it never attracts attention anyway. That said I have a day backpack inside that I could move stuff to if I had to gate check.

DCA writer Nov 12, 2022 4:26 pm

They did have a scale at the gate for my LIS-IAD flight last Saturday, and a passenger ahead of me was directed to check their bag when it exceeded the limit. I didn't see anybody fussing about bag sizes, though.

yonajon Nov 18, 2022 7:11 am

Just an update: I checked in online, so didn't have to go through the check-in desks. No one at the gate in TLV paid any attention to carry-ons and there was no scale even if they were interested.

starflight Nov 23, 2022 8:46 pm

Does anyone have any recent experience with this out of LHR or OPO? I recall hearing pre-COVID LHR T2 would often weigh carry-ons at the gate. Any reports on if that is still happening?

corporate-wage-slave Nov 24, 2022 3:54 am

I've been through T2 to LIS qute often in recent months and I've never seen them weigh anything there. Occasionally, if it's a full flight, they are looking for excess sized bags, or too many bags. OPO - no recent experience, but I doubt it is a daily practice. But as ever, if you want total confidence you will need to stick to the limits. Welcome to Flyertalk.