Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP and coronavirus - policy?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:42 pm

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone has had success getting a cash refund from TAP. I am most interested in people with bookings in J class with a cancellation fee -- whether that fee was waived when the flight is still scheduled to operate. And also if anyone has tips on actually being able to interact with a person at TAP.
bobriensan likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:59 pm

My experience requesting a refund from TAP today -

I have been checking the status of my booking (LIS-EWR on 4APR) daily, as I wanted it to be cancelled prior to taking any action. Today (20MAR) I checked my reservation on flytap.com and it had updated to "Flight is cancelled" so I used the refund link. Both my ticket and the document for the seat fee retrieved without issue, however the only refund option was for a voucher. I rang TAP at 11pm NYC time to request a refund to my original form of payment. Recording said estimated wait time was 6 minutes....and 40 minutes later I was connected with an agent who insisted repeatedly that TAP is issuing me a refund - in the form of a voucher. I stated that a voucher is not a refund which the agent disputed. I explained that EU261/2004 (including the reiteration issued by the EC on 18MAR) requires the carrier to refund the cost of my ticket however she stated that TAP is only issuing vouchers now because the coronavirus pandemic is a special circumstance. She was very sales-like during the call, seemed to have a lot of practice reciting the policy and touting that the voucher could be redeemed until March 2021 for travel thru Feb 2022. I refused the offer and stated I didn't want to take any action on my reservation at this time.

I'll initiate a chargeback with my credit card tomorrow, as it seems like the only hope to get my money back.I will also report to the contacts GarudaSoars mentioned.

My outbound travel is on Azores Airlines with a stopover in Ponta Delgada. I have low expectations for a resolution with them as well, but haven't brought myself to phone them yet as it requires an international call to the Azores (no US call center nor ability to manage the booking on their website) and as they have shuttered their entire operation as of yesterday I'm sure their call center is overwhelmed at the moment.

Last edited by PHLFlyer; Mar 21, 2020 at 12:22 am
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by hhychin
Hi. I'm wondering if anyone has had success getting a cash refund from TAP. I am most interested in people with bookings in J class with a cancellation fee -- whether that fee was waived when the flight is still scheduled to operate. And also if anyone has tips on actually being able to interact with a person at TAP.
If your flight is scheduled I think you are going to be stuck paying the fee. You can certainly put the effort in and try to call them but I expect that will take a lot of time and the odds of success are low though hard to tell because the forum isn't very active here so maybe TAP is showing flexibility. My trip with refundable J tickets was a few months out but included my aged parents and I don't see this getting better enough by early summer for them to travel. I thought about waiting for TAP to possibly cancel the flight for a full refund but I decided there is a good chance of them going under (like many other airlines) so I'd rather have most of my money back now than deal with a charge back with my CC company. A few hundred lost in this situation is something I can deal with. Also it allowed me to do everything online which allowed me to create a paper trail I can provide to the CC company if they don't refund me as their terms state.
bobriensan likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
My flight has been cancelled. No notification from TAP. No refund, and impossible to get in contact with this garbage airline. Anyone have any success?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by PHLFlyer
My experience requesting a refund from TAP today -

I'll initiate a chargeback with my credit card tomorrow, as it seems like the only hope to get my money back.I will also report to the contacts GarudaSoars mentioned.
Please update us on chargeback experience once done.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:32 pm

@36902BRF. So my flight did get cancelled. I was like you thinking of just paying the fee and getting the rest of my money back but now that the flight is canceled, the only option offered online is a voucher. I guess now I'll have to do a chargeback. The fare was refundable so I hope Chase doesn't give me a hard time about it.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by hhychin
@36902BRF. So my flight did get cancelled. I was like you thinking of just paying the fee and getting the rest of my money back but now that the flight is canceled, the only option offered online is a voucher. I guess now I'll have to do a chargeback. The fare was refundable so I hope Chase doesn't give me a hard time about it.
Ugh. At one point when I was getting my four refunds a voucher was the only option. I didn't go for it and about an hour later after the refunds website went completely down the option returned when it came back up. I think they were trying to make it non-optional but it wasn't working so they reverted to the old site for awhile with the option. BA is doing something similar and "hiding" the cash refund option. You can get around the BA option by turning off Javascript in your browser. If you haven't already and you can still do it, make a screen capture of the terms of the ticket. Chase may ask for that and having your own copy will strengthen your case. Good luck.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Ugh. At one point when I was getting my four refunds a voucher was the only option. I didn't go for it and about an hour later after the refunds website went completely down the option returned when it came back up. I think they were trying to make it non-optional but it wasn't working so they reverted to the old site for awhile with the option. BA is doing something similar and "hiding" the cash refund option. You can get around the BA option by turning off Javascript in your browser. If you haven't already and you can still do it, make a screen capture of the terms of the ticket. Chase may ask for that and having your own copy will strengthen your case. Good luck.
What would you screen capture about the original terms of the ticket?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:47 am

The cancellation and refund terms. Your CC company may ask for this and even if they don't it strengthens your argument. When I filed a chargeback against an Asian airline for a cancellation in February that hadn't been credited four weeks later the CC company asked for a copy of their refund policy. Which I had and showed I was due a refund per their normal terms never mind their COVID ones.

Edit: And to perhaps state the obvious this is only useful if the underlying conditions of the ticket allow for a cash refund. If you are trying to get a refund on a non-refundable ticket you'll need to take another angle.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Mar 22, 2020 at 8:19 am
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Marriott Hyatt
Has anybody actually received a credit on their credit card statement back for a refundable ticket? I booked 6 business class seats returning from Porto to Chicago on May 10 and cancelled them early in the week but have not received a credit. I was told yesterday that only vouchers are being issued even if the ticket is refundable and that to obtain a cash refund minus the penalty fee, I would have to wait until May 1.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
The cancellation and refund terms. Your CC company may ask for this and even if they don't it strengthens your argument. When I filed a chargeback against an Asian airline for a cancellation in February that hadn't been credited four weeks later the CC company asked for a copy of their refund policy. Which I had and showed I was due a refund per their normal terms never mind their COVID ones.

Edit: And to perhaps state the obvious this is only useful if the underlying conditions of the ticket allow for a cash refund. If you are trying to get a refund on a non-refundable ticket you'll need to take another angle.
Does anyone have the refund terms for Tap Air? They have the a link to their terms of carriage on their website (https://www.flytap.com/en-us/transpo...&accordionid=1) but it appears to be updated March 20 and has some “Force Majeure” language.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by stlrod
Has anybody actually received a credit on their credit card statement back for a refundable ticket? I booked 6 business class seats returning from Porto to Chicago on May 10 and cancelled them early in the week but have not received a credit. I was told yesterday that only vouchers are being issued even if the ticket is refundable and that to obtain a cash refund minus the penalty fee, I would have to wait until May 1.
I haven't seen any data points here confirming TAP refunds but I'd love to see one. Back in February I cancelled a trip to Asia in March and it took the airlines anywhere from two days to five weeks to refund me (varied by carrier). At this point I give an airline four weeks to refund (credit back to CC) and if they don't I do a charge back. You might want to check you refund status as last I looked (just now) mine was still being "reviewed". You are certainly not going to see a credit until after it has been processed.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
Does anyone have the refund terms for Tap Air? They have the a link to their terms of carriage on their website (https://www.flytap.com/en-us/transpo...&accordionid=1) but it appears to be updated March 20 and has some “Force Majeure” language.
Have you checked to see if a prior version is available on the Way Back Machine? Wayback Machine .
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The procedure & policy published by TP last week:

procedures for TAP Air Portugal (047) tickets valid from March 19, 2020.

Before re-issuing tickets, please update the information and procedure on the website www.tapagents.com

Procedure 1.

- For all routes served by TAP Air Portugal,

- For all flights, with the original departure date until April 30, 2020,

- For all tickets issued before April 19, 2020:

The possibility of one free rebooking - no fines, but a surcharge on the tariff and fees;

- on any date provided that the ticket is reissued no later than 24 hours before the original departure date

Ability to cancel a reservation by leaving the ticket open (“Open” status);
New reservation and re-issuance of the ticket must be made before June 1, 2020;
The new travel date is until December 31, 2020 or during the validity period of the ticket, whichever comes first;
Alternatively, it is possible to get the full price of a ticket for a voucher, which must be requested by reference ;
A voucher can be used for any TAP flight. The voucher will be valid for 1 year from the date of registration.

Endorsements: CV19TP

This code must be entered in the Endorsement box of the new ticket.

We recommend inserting remarks to keep PNR active.

Examples

Amadeus:

Example of entering remarks: RU1AHK1LIS31DEC / KEEP BOOKING ALIVE COVID

Mapping to PNR: MIS 1A HK1 LIS 31DEC-KEEP RESERVATION ALIVE COVID
Saber:

Example for entering remarks: 0 OTH YY GK1 LIS 31DEC

Display in PNR: 1 OTH YY 31DEC W GK1 LIS

Galileo

Example of entering remarks: RD.T / 31DEC * RD.T / 31DEC * KEEP BOOKING ALIVE COVID

Display in PNR: 1. T ** TEXT ** 31DEC - ** KEEP BOOKING ALIVE COVID **

Procedure 2.

For PNR with UN segments:

Reservation in the same service booth in the lowest available RBD is once free.

Endorsements: CV19TP

This code must be entered in the Endorsement box of the new ticket.

As an alternative, we also offer a voucher for the ticket price on the conditions specified above.

EMD on add. services - can be used in new reservations; If they expire, please contact the airline’s office.
bobriensan likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Incidentally, after a major schedule change of a flight in August (flight time for both outbound and return changed by more than 8 hours, so under EU261 terms, full refund should be offered), I contacted TAP this weekend to cancel the trip - even for that trip, unaffected by Covid-19 (at least for now), the agent said they have no option but to offer a voucher, suggesting that agent's ability to deliver a cash refund has been suspended by TAP.

Last edited by puqui99; Mar 23, 2020 at 3:56 am Reason: adding detail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.