TAP and coronavirus - policy?

Old Mar 4, 20, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
TAP and coronavirus - policy?

Arriving Venice April 10 on cruise. We are supposed to stay in Venice 4 days and fly to Lisbon. US reportedly going to enhance screening for Venice and other northern Italy cities. Does anyone know what the new screening process is and will PHL be a qualified screening location. No response from TAP on whether we can move up our flight from VCE to LIS. Thanks
Old Mar 4, 20, 10:26 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Silver
Was going to post a similar question just now.

I have a flight from GRU to MXP at end of March (and return a few days later) and would cancel it, but I couldn't find any waiver/policy on TAP site. Am I missing something? Anyone with experience on TAP's current policy? Other airlines have publicly posted their guidance for flights to/from Northern Italy.
Old Mar 4, 20, 4:21 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold
There (still) isn't any policy in place. As the 1st case of coronavirus in Portugal was diagnosed only two days ago, I would expect an announcement within the next week.
Old Mar 5, 20, 11:00 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Silver
Originally Posted by tff View Post
There (still) isn't any policy in place. As the 1st case of coronavirus in Portugal was diagnosed only two days ago, I would expect an announcement within the next week.
True, but the virus is impacting many of TP's destination airports (such as those in Northern Italy). If all airlines would wait for the situation to escalate only in their home countries then LH or BA wouldn't have put waivers in place for Northern Italy for example.
Old Mar 6, 20, 6:38 am

I would assume there are reports in Portugal from people?? canceling travel to Italy - and how TAP is dealing with it?
Old Mar 6, 20, 7:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
TP just published a very open policy:

COVID19 - Procedures for TAP 047 tickets
Last updated on: 05 Mar 2020Due to the evolution of the situation regarding Covid-19, for all TAP 047 tickets issued until 07 MARCH 2020 - valid for all TAP destinations -, TAP has put in place the following procedures:
  • Rebooking and rerouting permitted for tickets with original travel date until 31 MAY 2020
  • New travel date until 31 MAY 2020 (1)
  • Valid for roundtrip or oneway tickets;
  • Authorized waive of DU tax
https://www.tapagents.com/Partners_U...&ArticleId=562
Old Mar 6, 20, 11:53 pm

Wait, we are only able to move the date of travel to 31 May?! Thatís not very helpful at all, most of us have distinct blocks of time for holidays and if we miss one block in April, itís not like we can just take a holiday in May when we are expected to be working. I have flights in Mid-April (kidsí Spring Break in US) and would like to rebook for our summer holiday in August. My tickets are refundable w about 40% loss due to fees (J class), so i would rather rebook than refund and eat the fees.

Edited to add: I see that TAP is cancelling some flights. Maybe my LIS-SFO flight will be cancelled as our hot spot of virus activity on the West Coast becomes more evident...

Last edited by stephem; Mar 7, 20 at 10:31 am
Old Mar 7, 20, 12:55 pm

Programs: Many
I have a TP flight AMS-LIS-EWR booked Mar 29, is this eligible for change? Also can only push forward to May? Iíd prefer to push it further if possible...
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:09 am

Here is the waiver that TAP is putting into current fares now, for new tickets issued between 08 Mar and 31 Mar:

CHANGES PERMITTED WITHOUT PENALTY -
ONLY APPLIES FOR TICKETS ISSUED BETWEEN 08MAR20 AND 31MAR20 AND CHANGES MUST BE MADE 21 DAYS BEFORE SCHEDULED DEPARTURE OF OUTBOUND TRAVEL. WHEN CHANGES ARE MADE LESS THAN 21 DAYS BEFORE SCHEDULED DEPARTURE BELOW APPLIES.
Old Mar 10, 20, 10:45 am

This is a goddamn joke. They don't answer the phones or hang up on you so that it's impossible to change.
Old Mar 10, 20, 4:08 pm

21 days before departure? bummer.. have a flight booked next week.
Old Mar 11, 20, 6:29 am

The 21 days is nonsensical as prevention requires people to stop travel now - not when there's a full blown pandemic.
Old Mar 11, 20, 8:48 am

Well American Airlines just expanded its waivers yesterday. I am hoping TP does something broader before my flights in mid April.
Old Mar 11, 20, 10:19 am

The 21 says isn't very helpful since IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to get through to TAP to change your flights. I started calling outside 21 days and I am now inside and STILL can't get them on the phone. Their US and Portugal #s don't work
Old Mar 11, 20, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
The 21 says isn't very helpful since IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to get through to TAP to change your flights. I started calling outside 21 days and I am now inside and STILL can't get them on the phone. Their US and Portugal #s don't work
at one point we had luck skyping them. pulled up their contact page on mobile and used the skype app.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: