Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP Carry-On / Cabin Baggage Rules and Enforcement (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TAP Hand / Cabin Baggage Rules

Link to TAP Hand Baggage Rules page. Note these may change and would supersede the extracted information presented here.

When travelling on flights operated by TAP and TAP express you can normally travel with hand baggage in the aircraft cabin, with a maximum size up to total linear 115 cm / 45.3 inches / (55X40x20cm) / 22x16x8 in regardless of other factors. (If overhead bins are deemed full, the larger piece of cabin baggage may be counter checked.)

“Your baggage must be within the permitted limits (number, size and weight) In order for it to be free of charge. These limits depend on your flight destination” and by your cabin class of service, Executive or Economy. Generally, the dimensions can not be exceeded overall added dimensions or by individual dimension. (Bags exceeding dimensions, such as determined by inability to fit in a baggage sizer, may be counter checked; a fee may be collected.)

NOTE: There are two factors used in determining hand baggage allowance, regardless of associated loyalty program: destination and cabin class of service (Economy or Executive). At this time there seems to be no difference in hand / cabin baggage allowance by subfare (DISCOUNT, BASIC, CLASSIC and PLUS in Economy class all have the same hand / cabin allowances; EXECUTIVE and TOP EXECUTIVE in Executive/ Business class do as well. (These fare designations will govern such characteristics as refundability, changeability, checked hold baggage, etc. but not hand baggage allowance.) link to page and video

If travelling to/from domestic destinations (including the islands), Europe, Africa and North America you can carry on the aircraft:

Executive Class*: 2 pieces of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).

Economy Class: 1 piece of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).

*Except to/from North America (Canada and the USA, as TAP currently does not fly to Mexico): 1 piece of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).
If travelling to/from destinations in South America, you can carry on the aircraft:

Executive Class: 2 pieces of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).

Economy Class: 1 piece of baggage up to 10 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in).
What can be a personal item?
  • A purse or a computer bag or shoulder bag (maximum size: 40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in);
  • Auxiliary mobility equipment;
  • Medical devices (by prescription/prior approval);
With a maximum weight of 2 Kg/4.4 Ib.

“Confirm in advance that your hand baggage is within the permitted limits (in terms of number, size and weight). If you exceed any of these requirements your baggage will be checked into the hold and you will be charged a fee at the boarding gate. Payment will only be possible by credit card.
Anecdotally, hand / cabin baggage is most likely to be scrutinized for size and weight at the check-in counters. Gates may have baggage sizers used by gate agents.

If overhead bins are deemed full, hand / cabin baggage may be gate checked. Gate checked bags may be retried with checked hold baggage at the arrival carousel.

It is a good idea to remove any valuable items (computers, tablets, mobile phones, etc.) or necessities (medicines, etc.) from hand / cabin baggage that is checked and sent to the hold and keep them with you.

Print Wikipost

TAP Carry-On / Cabin Baggage Rules and Enforcement (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
LHR has always been a strict station for carry-on enforcement. I don't recall seeing bags weighed anywhere else though.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by aznfreak007
since to and from us, your allowance should be stated on the receipt and the allowance is the same for the entire ticket despite the stopover.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ules/index.htm

if it's not us or canada, airline will apply the most significant carrier rule for which the allowance might vary before or after a stopover.
This turned out to be the case. Since the whole itinerary was on one ticket, even though the first leg was nominally intra-Europe, we still got the full transatlantic baggage allowance. Thanks for putting us at ease!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Sorry in advance as this is carry on baggage thread but i cannot find the clarification. Am i entitled to a check in luggage if i buy a DISCOUNT fare as a Star alliance gold member or no?

Many thanks
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ermis177
Sorry in advance as this is carry on baggage thread but i cannot find the clarification. Am i entitled to a check in luggage if i buy a DISCOUNT fare as a Star alliance gold member or no?

Many thanks

You might want to browse this thread : TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

But the short answer is that you should be OK.
Yet it's TAP, so there'll always be an element of uncertainty ...
ermis177 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Many thanks
PS this hopeful table is still hidden away on TP's website:

https://www.flytap.com/en-gb/baggage...6-0fca9acad858

ermis177 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:07 pm

Many thanks IAN-UK. I did my very first long haul with TAP to Brazil ( both economy and business) and i might stick with economy (discount) only next time as i was not very impressed with the C product ( what kind of airline does not provide any kind of face creams in the amenity kit?!).
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:34 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Many thanks IAN-UK. I did my very first long haul with TAP to Brazil ( both economy and business) and i might stick with economy (discount) only next time as i was not very impressed with the C product ( what kind of airline does not provide any kind of face creams in the amenity kit?!).
All the TP amenity kits I have feature a Castelbel face cream - and the same is true in all the TRs I have found online (eg, you can check here or here).
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:54 pm

Not mine for LIS-SSA. I did specifically ask and they said they dont provide any face creams.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Much later this year, friends and I are flying on a TAP Express flight operated by White Air with an ATR72-600 as equipment. Based on my previous experience with ATRs, I assume that roll-aboard bags will not fit in the overhead bins. Are roll-aboard bags collected on the tarmac? Gate checked? Or are passengers supposed to be pro-active and check their roll-aboard bags?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:16 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by car94102
Much later this year, friends and I are flying on a TAP Express flight operated by White Air with an ATR72-600 as equipment. Based on my previous experience with ATRs, I assume that roll-aboard bags will not fit in the overhead bins. Are roll-aboard bags collected on the tarmac? Gate checked? Or are passengers supposed to be pro-active and check their roll-aboard bags?
Collected on the tarmac.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.