Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP Carry-On / Cabin Baggage Rules and Enforcement (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TAP Hand / Cabin Baggage Rules

Link to TAP Hand Baggage Rules page. Note these may change and would supersede the extracted information presented here.

When travelling on flights operated by TAP and TAP express you can normally travel with hand baggage in the aircraft cabin, with a maximum size up to total linear 115 cm / 45.3 inches / (55X40x20cm) / 22x16x8 in regardless of other factors. (If overhead bins are deemed full, the larger piece of cabin baggage may be counter checked.)

“Your baggage must be within the permitted limits (number, size and weight) In order for it to be free of charge. These limits depend on your flight destination” and by your cabin class of service, Executive or Economy. Generally, the dimensions can not be exceeded overall added dimensions or by individual dimension. (Bags exceeding dimensions, such as determined by inability to fit in a baggage sizer, may be counter checked; a fee may be collected.)

NOTE: There are two factors used in determining hand baggage allowance, regardless of associated loyalty program: destination and cabin class of service (Economy or Executive). At this time there seems to be no difference in hand / cabin baggage allowance by subfare (DISCOUNT, BASIC, CLASSIC and PLUS in Economy class all have the same hand / cabin allowances; EXECUTIVE and TOP EXECUTIVE in Executive/ Business class do as well. (These fare designations will govern such characteristics as refundability, changeability, checked hold baggage, etc. but not hand baggage allowance.) link to page and video

If travelling to/from domestic destinations (including the islands), Europe, Africa and North America you can carry on the aircraft:

Executive Class*: 2 pieces of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).

Economy Class: 1 piece of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).

*Except to/from North America (Canada and the USA, as TAP currently does not fly to Mexico): 1 piece of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).
If travelling to/from destinations in South America, you can carry on the aircraft:

Executive Class: 2 pieces of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).

Economy Class: 1 piece of baggage up to 10 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in).
What can be a personal item?
  • A purse or a computer bag or shoulder bag (maximum size: 40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in);
  • Auxiliary mobility equipment;
  • Medical devices (by prescription/prior approval);
With a maximum weight of 2 Kg/4.4 Ib.

“Confirm in advance that your hand baggage is within the permitted limits (in terms of number, size and weight). If you exceed any of these requirements your baggage will be checked into the hold and you will be charged a fee at the boarding gate. Payment will only be possible by credit card.
Anecdotally, hand / cabin baggage is most likely to be scrutinized for size and weight at the check-in counters. Gates may have baggage sizers used by gate agents.

If overhead bins are deemed full, hand / cabin baggage may be gate checked. Gate checked bags may be retried with checked hold baggage at the arrival carousel.

It is a good idea to remove any valuable items (computers, tablets, mobile phones, etc.) or necessities (medicines, etc.) from hand / cabin baggage that is checked and sent to the hold and keep them with you.

Print Wikipost

TAP Carry-On / Cabin Baggage Rules and Enforcement (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Gld; DL Plat; UA Gld;Bonvoy Titanium4Life; Hyatt Silver;
Originally Posted by Snooks130
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but... what is *G group?
* = Star Alliance
G = Gold
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:12 pm

TAP personal item

Are they very strict on the size?
I'm used to using a backpack or overnight bag that is bigger than what they list, but has always been fine on US flights
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Gld; DL Plat; UA Gld;Bonvoy Titanium4Life; Hyatt Silver;
I went to Boston's Logan Airport over the weekend with my Away "Bigger" Carry On, and while it fit into almost every sizer I tried, it did NOT fit into TAP's. Not even close! So I broke down and bought a "Basic" ticket to include Hold luggage for my trip next month. Figured that's cheaper than having to pay up at the gate. I tried a lot of sizers, sorry I don't remember which airline this was....

​​​​​​​
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:33 pm

Thank you so much!
I'm very panicked about the duffle bags, but I did manage to get this from their chat...
I'm saving these screen shots in case they give me a problem. We DO have the basic tickets, but we're going on a cruise and i want us all to have some clothes in case anything gets lost!

Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How strict are TP agents for intra-Portugal flights?

Does it matter if it's a TP operated flight or a Portugalia-operated flight?

My issue will be a roller board which will likely exceed 8 kg by a good margin.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by wco81
How strict are TP agents for intra-Portugal flights?

Does it matter if it's a TP operated flight or a Portugalia-operated flight?

My issue will be a roller board which will likely exceed 8 kg by a good margin.
Then expect it to be gate checked and a fee charged.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:54 am
Suspended

Full of lithium battery electronics.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by wco81
Full of lithium battery electronics.
Then expect not to be allowed to take anything in excess of 8kg aboard. Lithium batteries are not an excuse for excess weight over and above the allowence.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
IME TAP are one of the most miserable airlines when it comes to any flexibility for a GCH.

If the allowance is 8kg you exceed that at your peril because they do weigh bags and as above, lithium batteries are not an excuse for being overweight.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:08 am
Suspended

So what are they going to do, refund your money at the gate and refuse you boarding?

Make you buy a second coach ticket to get a second 8kg allowance?

Or a business class ticket?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:26 pm

This is technically a checked baggage question, but how does TAP's checked baggage allowance work through the Stopover program? We are flying from Europe to the U.S. with a Stopover in LIS. Will the whole itinerary be treated as an "Intercontinental flight"? Or will just the LIS-U.S. leg be "intercontinental" (with its higher checked bag allowance), while the intra-European flight will be counted as a "Flight between Europe"?

Last edited by Bobberjet; Dec 9, 2019 at 7:43 pm
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by FNZFUND
I went to Boston's Logan Airport over the weekend with my Away "Bigger" Carry On, and while it fit into almost every sizer I tried, it did NOT fit into TAP's. Not even close! So I broke down and bought a "Basic" ticket to include Hold luggage for my trip next month. Figured that's cheaper than having to pay up at the gate. I tried a lot of sizers, sorry I don't remember which airline this was....

Just FYI, I flew 4 segments with this Away Bigger carry on and did not have any issues. I obviously did not need to stop at check in but at boarding none of the workers cared. On the flight from LIS-AMS they did tag it to have it in the hold instead of on the plane but there was no charge for that. Obviously that could change in the future and they could really try to enforce the bag size. On a Ryanair flight, I had a worker make me stuff my bag into their sizer to try to charge me but I was able to jam it in there so it was okay.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Bobberjet
This is technically a checked baggage question, but how does TAP's checked baggage allowance work through the Stopover program? We are flying from Europe to the U.S. with a Stopover in LIS. Will the whole itinerary be treated as an "Intercontinental flight"? Or will just the LIS-U.S. leg be "intercontinental" (with its higher checked bag allowance), while the intra-European flight will be counted as a "Flight between Europe"?
since to and from us, your allowance should be stated on the receipt and the allowance is the same for the entire ticket despite the stopover.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ules/index.htm

if it's not us or canada, airline will apply the most significant carrier rule for which the allowance might vary before or after a stopover.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I flew LHR-LIS (a separate ticket connection from a BA flight) and the boarding/hand baggage set-up was a bit of a mess. I had paid for a checked bag but was hoping to just carry on my rollaboard.
At boarding time, they seemed more obsessed with weight than size. They had a scale and made every person weigh their carry-on. However, enforcement seemed inconsistent. They first made everyone over the 8kg check, but no agent was handling the gate-checking and, instead, a massive waiting crowd was forming in the entrance to the jetbridge. Finally, it was so out of control (probably half the plane was waiting to check an overweight carryon) that the enforcer started letting through bags that were only slightly overweight (8.9, etc). Of course, others were pointing out how inconsistent this was and she started making up excuses for why she was selectively enforcing. Not sure if this was an LHR thing or TAP thing in general, but it was definitely distasteful and disorganized.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:47 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I flew LHR-LIS (a separate ticket connection from a BA flight) and the boarding/hand baggage set-up was a bit of a mess. I had paid for a checked bag but was hoping to just carry on my rollaboard.
At boarding time, they seemed more obsessed with weight than size. They had a scale and made every person weigh their carry-on. However, enforcement seemed inconsistent. They first made everyone over the 8kg check, but no agent was handling the gate-checking and, instead, a massive waiting crowd was forming in the entrance to the jetbridge. Finally, it was so out of control (probably half the plane was waiting to check an overweight carryon) that the enforcer started letting through bags that were only slightly overweight (8.9, etc). Of course, others were pointing out how inconsistent this was and she started making up excuses for why she was selectively enforcing. Not sure if this was an LHR thing or TAP thing in general, but it was definitely distasteful and disorganized.
I witnessed a similar situation in early December at LHR too. Once onboard, I let the purser know how big of a mess it was and he not only talked to the acting station manager about it, which I witnessed, but told me he'd include it in his report.
OskiBear likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.