Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Cancelling and getting a refund from TAP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling and getting a refund from TAP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
I just got a response from 1/2 of my DoT complains I made yesterday-
Sigh though not that surprised. At least they responded.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:33 pm

I just received a voucher for a refund request on March 13 (before they updated the site) for a TAP canceled flight.

I was expecting a cash refund. Still have 2 other refund requests outstanding (the ones to and from the US).

Hopefully the chargebacks and/or DoT complaints work out.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:41 pm

I booked through Chase UR and they don't want to refund by claiming TAP is only issuing vouchers.
I cannot file a chargeback because I redeemed Chase UR points for the ticket.
I just filed a DOT complaint. Hopefully it can help.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:03 pm

I just received a voucher for a refund request on March 13 (before they updated the site) for a TAP canceled flight.

I was expecting a cash refund. Still have 2 other refund requests outstanding (the ones to and from the US).

Hopefully the chargebacks and/or DoT complaints work out.
Honestly I am not surprised I fully expect four vouchers vs the four cash refunds I put in. I actually have a screenshots of my requests that show I selected a cash refund (you had to do that while submitting because the confirmations are silent on this). I fully expect the only way I am likely to get my cashback is a chargeback which I plan to submit tomorrow. Normally, I'd wait longer but unlike other airlines I have dealt with recently TAP has given zero communication on what my refund will be or when I can expect it.
mmff likes this.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Mar 27, 2020 at 8:14 pm
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by dmark1021
I booked through Chase UR and they don't want to refund by claiming TAP is only issuing vouchers.
Yeah this whole situation has revealed the issue in using Chase/Amex/Citi points to pay for tickets (I have seen similar other reports). Hopefully the DOT complaint helps but I personally wouldn't put a lot of hope on that sorry to say. I submitted mine in part to bolster my chargeback some and because I could use essentially the same letter/evidence for my chargeback request.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Mar 27, 2020 at 8:13 pm
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Honestly I am not surprised I fully expect four vouchers vs the four cash refunds I put in. I actually have a screenshots of my requests that show I selected a cash refund (you had to do that while submitting because the confirmations are silent on this). I fully expect the only way I am likely to get my cashback is a chargeback which I plan to submit tomorrow. Normally, I'd wait longer but unlike other airlines I have dealt with recently TAP has given zero communication on what my refund will be or when I can expect it.
can you share the screenshot by chance? I’m not sure I remember the option on the old
form, just asking for a bank account which I left blank..
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by dmark1021
that’s crap..I have a chase UR flight booked in October that if this thing continues I’d be in the same boat.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:36 am

can you share the screenshot by chance? I’m not sure I remember the option on the old
form, just asking for a bank account which I left blank..
I sent you a PM with a link to a redacted screenshot since it contained my personal information. I submitted my refund requests over the course of 3/17 and they were clearly actively making changes to the website that day. The refund WAR container was down (not slow to load but completely down) for hour long stretches during that day (I assume while they were making changes). During the late morning eastern US time the refund website was only giving me the option for a voucher when I requested a refund. I did not go through with that while I thought about what to do. When I tried again the WAR container was gone/undefined. An hour or two later it came back and during that time I was able to submit refund requests for two of my four tickets. The IBAN/banking field that seemed to cause confusion earlier in this thread was gone. The website (including spelling mistakes) made it clear the refund would be to my original form of payment. The WAR went down again and then the site was extremely slow to load but a few hours later I got my last two refund in request in (on the afternoon of 3/17 US east coast time) and the process was identical. So in a nutshell the refunds version I saw did not have the bank account field, clearly gave me the option of voucher or refund to original payment and clearly showed the refund would be made back to my original payment source once I selected that.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
I sent you a PM with a link to a redacted screenshot since it contained my personal information. I submitted my refund requests over the course of 3/17 and they were clearly actively making changes to the website that day. The refund WAR container was down (not slow to load but completely down) for hour long stretches during that day (I assume while they were making changes). During the late morning eastern US time the refund website was only giving me the option for a voucher when I requested a refund. I did not go through with that while I thought about what to do. When I tried again the WAR container was gone/undefined. An hour or two later it came back and during that time I was able to submit refund requests for two of my four tickets. The IBAN/banking field that seemed to cause confusion earlier in this thread was gone. The website (including spelling mistakes) made it clear the refund would be to my original form of payment. The WAR went down again and then the site was extremely slow to load but a few hours later I got my last two refund in request in (on the afternoon of 3/17 US east coast time) and the process was identical. So in a nutshell the refunds version I saw did not have the bank account field, clearly gave me the option of voucher or refund to original payment and clearly showed the refund would be made back to my original payment source once I selected that.
ahhh, I see now what you mean about refunded to original payment. I had the IBAN/banking field that I left blank.

Hopefully it works out for the both of us... I will report back if any developments occur.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HHonors Gold
Just for confirmation: when we are talking about DOT complain we are talking about US Department of Transportation, right?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by TeleP
Just for confirmation: when we are talking about DOT complain we are talking about US Department of Transportation, right?
Correct you can Google DOT consumer complaint to find the online form but this of course only works if one of your flights touches US soil.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:43 pm

ahhh, I see now what you mean about refunded to original payment. I had the IBAN/banking field that I left blank.

Hopefully it works out for the both of us... I will report back if any developments occur.
Yeah fingers crossed. I opened up a chargeback today against TAP with Amex. This is more aggressive than I like to be but in the absence of a confirmation of refund amount, type of refund or timeline for said refund combined with the fact that there is I think only one person who so far has reported actually getting a refund it was time. Since the purchase was an older one I had to reach out to Amex online chat to start the process. Uploading my evidence to the Amex website now. I'll provide updates when I have them as well.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:02 pm

that’s crap..I have a chase UR flight booked in October that if this thing continues I’d be in the same boat.
I would say it depends on the airline. I have another iberia flight booked through Chase UR points and got refunded by one phone call.
So the problem is still at TAP.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:38 pm

I got a voucher for a refund 5 work days after I requested it. The problem is that even though I payed for the ticket, the voucher is in my girlfriend's name (who would have been the one travelling).

The thing is: if we choose another company later (and pay for it separately), will I be able to book a ticket for myself eventually with this voucher? Or is the voucher attached to the name the trip was originally booked for??
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by mrpolla
I got a voucher for a refund 5 work days after I requested it. The problem is that even though I payed for the ticket, the voucher is in my girlfriend's name (who would have been the one travelling).

The thing is: if we choose another company later (and pay for it separately), will I be able to book a ticket for myself eventually with this voucher? Or is the voucher attached to the name the trip was originally booked for??
I don't know what the voucher says, but if you get a voucher from TAP, how can you choose another company other than TAP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.