Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Cancelling and getting a refund from TAP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:57 pm

<<Can you please tell me how to request a refund for my ticket, purchased online at flytap.com with a US credit card? I only see a bank transfer refund option that does not include US banks. I would think that the refund should go to my credit card, where it was purchased. Thank you for any tips.>>

For those of you who’ve gotten or tried to get refunds, I was wondering the same thing. Do you have to enter your bank information or does the refund go back to the credit card which purchased the tickets?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by progol
<<Can you please tell me how to request a refund for my ticket, purchased online at flytap.com with a US credit card? I only see a bank transfer refund option that does not include US banks. I would think that the refund should go to my credit card, where it was purchased. Thank you for any tips.>>

For those of you who’ve gotten or tried to get refunds, I was wondering the same thing. Do you have to enter your bank information or does the refund go back to the credit card which purchased the tickets?
I tried to get a refund but the system requires an IBAN number which I do not have because I have a US bank account. I did not see an option for credit card refunds.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by norenewa
I tried to get a refund but the system requires an IBAN number which I do not have because I have a US bank account. I did not see an option for credit card refunds.
So I'm maybe not the best data point, as I have requested a refund, and the refund was apparently approved, but I have yet to see any credit back to my card yet - but:

I started on the TAP US site:

https://www.flytap.com/en-us/

I clicked the Manage Reservation, then clicked Cancel/Refund. That took me here:

https://reembolsos.flytap.com/Refund...US&language=en

I then clicked the "English" button in the upper right corner. Then clicked the big red "Continue" button. The next page had two options:

- Request refund
- Check refund status

I clicked Request refund, entered my ticket number and name, and I don't remember having to supply any further information. But I didn't have to enter any bank info, and I don't recall being asked for it...
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by gr2020
So I'm maybe not the best data point, as I have requested a refund, and the refund was apparently approved, but I have yet to see any credit back to my card yet - but:

I started on the TAP US site:

https://www.flytap.com/en-us/

I clicked the Manage Reservation, then clicked Cancel/Refund. That took me here:

https://reembolsos.flytap.com/Refund...US&language=en

I then clicked the "English" button in the upper right corner. Then clicked the big red "Continue" button. The next page had two options:

- Request refund
- Check refund status

I clicked Request refund, entered my ticket number and name, and I don't remember having to supply any further information. But I didn't have to enter any bank info, and I don't recall being asked for it...
I followed your instructions and wound up in the same dead end mentioned before; TAP only gives me the option to provide banking information and no credit card refund option is given. I processed a refund for the outgoing flight I cancelled on United and it took about 30 seconds to complete on the United website.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by manhattan92
I followed your instructions and wound up in the same dead end mentioned before; TAP only gives me the option to provide banking information and no credit card refund option is given. I processed a refund for the outgoing flight I cancelled on United and it took about 30 seconds to complete on the United website.
I finally got through TAP after multiple attempts and holding on the line for 55 minutes. You do not have to enter your banking information or IBAN number; this information is not required. Enter your phone number, email address, and ignore the bank account and IBAN field. Clink on CONTINUE and then you will receive an identification code that begins with ROR. United's website is much easier.
36902BRF and Soccerjoshj07 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:41 pm

I finally got through TAP after multiple attempts and holding on the line for 55 minutes. You do not have to enter your banking information or IBAN number; this information is not required. Enter your phone number, email address, and ignore the bank account and IBAN field. Clink on CONTINUE and then you will receive an identification code that begins with ROR. United's website is much easier.
THANKS!
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:31 am

You do not need to enter bank information. The refund will be applied to the same credit card used to purchase the ticket.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
I had to cancel a flight I had with TAP TER-LIS-TER, but when I try the refund web page, after inserting the ticket number and the last name I get redirected to the same page I initially started and don't receive any e-mail with refund number.

Anyone also experiencing problems with the online refund?

Also I've been trying TAP Gold line but can't even establish a connection for the last 2 days...
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by milfweed20
I had to cancel a flight I had with TAP TER-LIS-TER, but when I try the refund web page, after inserting the ticket number and the last name I get redirected to the same page I initially started and don't receive any e-mail with refund number.

Anyone also experiencing problems with the online refund?

Also I've been trying TAP Gold line but can't even establish a connection for the last 2 days...
The phone lines are busy. I would suggest trying to call late at night. I finally got through around 11pm. For the refund, I would recommend trying the Portuguese version of their website. You can still select English but it will be the Portuguese instance of the website.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:04 pm

Thank you! And what a ridiculous website.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: ernstshirley
We are scheduled to fly TAP May 3 from Boston to Lisbon to Porto returning opposite route on May 13. They have not cancelled that flight but I think it is going to be the height of the Covid19 swath here and since we are both over 70 not sure it is wise to fly (or even if US will let us fly by then.). I'm not sure if we can cancel the flight and get a refund and of course they are not responding to either FB message or email. Any thoughts about what to do will be appreciated. And, for those of you who have requested refunds, did you do it for a flight that was not yet cancelled and if not, did you click on cancel flight first?

thanks
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by ernstshirley
We are scheduled to fly TAP May 3 from Boston to Lisbon to Porto returning opposite route on May 13. They have not cancelled that flight but I think it is going to be the height of the Covid19 swath here and since we are both over 70 not sure it is wise to fly (or even if US will let us fly by then.). I'm not sure if we can cancel the flight and get a refund and of course they are not responding to either FB message or email. Any thoughts about what to do will be appreciated. And, for those of you who have requested refunds, did you do it for a flight that was not yet cancelled and if not, did you click on cancel flight first?

thanks
I canceled my flights before requesting a refund.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Most carriers are dealing with the massive overload caused by passenger and flight disruptions in the immediate future. Moreover, policies are changing hourly.

It is unlikely that you will hear anything back for travel in May for a period of time, unless you want to spend several hours on hold on the phone.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:55 am

I have a refundable J ticket. I am going through the refund process online now and I am seeing this:

Your refund will be issued through a voucher

A voucher will be sent to your email address with the value of the refund.
The voucher is valid for a year, counting from the voucher issue date.
This is not what my original terms and conditions on the ticket said which I have printed off. Interesting this is also not what the current terms and conditions on the ticket said today which were different than the terms on the ticket when I bought it. Thankfully I have my original terms if I have to go fight with Amex for a cash refund.

Also their refund website is mostly non-functional today.

Edit: They seem to have changed the site to give you an option for voucher vs cash. They seem to be making changes in real time which probably explains why site is up and down.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Mar 17, 2020 at 11:35 am
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:41 am

The terms are confusing to me. If I do not receive a response in a couple of days, I will contact my credit card company which is not AMEX unfortunately.

I purchased a TOP EXEC ticket for my daughter. The flight was canceled by TAP. Here are the conditions:
Refund
Any time - cancellations permitted. Refund the fare paid less the applicable one-way / round trip fare for the sectors already travelled. Charge applies per ticket holder.
Request for refund within 24 hours is subject to a EUR 30,00 fee and the refund will be given in the form of a voucher where the fee will be deducted. The voucher is non-refundable and must be used for the purchase of TAP tickets within one year after its issuance.
For tickets issued in Israel, a fee of USD30.00 or 5% of the value of the total price ot the ticket (whichever is lower) will be applied if a ticket was issued within 14 days and at least 7 working days prior to the beginning of the travel.
For tickets issued in USA, Canada and Brazil no fee will be applied if ticket was issued at least 7 days before the flight departure.

I purchased PLUS tickets for me and my husband for travel in April. Here are the conditions for refund.
Refund Before departure - Charge USD80.00 or equivalent for cancel/no-show/refund. Charge applies per ticket holder.
Cancellations rules apply per fare component.
When combining fares charge the sum of the cancellation penalties of all cancelled fare components.
When combining a refundable ticket with a non-refundable ticket, provisions will apply as follows:
- The amount paid on the refundable fare component will be refunded less the penalty amount if applicable.
- The amount paid on the non-refundable fare component will not be refunded. In case of ticket upgrade the original non-refundable amount remains non-refundable. YQ shall be used to cover possible residual amounts resulting from cancellation penalties higher than fare amount. Any difference between cancellation penalty and the originally paid shall be deducted from YQ amount only residual YQ amount can then be refunded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.