Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Cancelling and getting a refund from TAP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling and getting a refund from TAP

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by gr2020
One more update (hopefully the last!) - Amex inquiry appears to have been closed and resolved in my favor, and they say my account will be credited on the next statement. The wording of the letter I got implies that TAP might have never responded to their inquiry; it says Amex may consider their response at a later date, but it also says I can consider the resolution final if I don't hear anything more by 5/21.
Nice. I submitted a dispute on 3/25/2020 and am still waiting on Amex. Hopefully they decide in my favor soon

Has anyone else had successful chargeback DP's?

Last edited by Soccerjoshj07; May 7, 2020 at 9:53 am
Old May 7, 2020, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
Woot! I actually received a refund for 1/3 of my refund requests on my Amex for a non refundable ticket that TAP canceled.
just got a voucher for the other Us to Europe (ORD to LIS) booking. Annoying... I still have a chargeback pending and have already submitted a DoT complaint.. not sure what else to do at this point.
It looks like I did eventually get a reply to (one) of my threads. I mentioned that I would be filing a chargeback if I didn't get a response (didn't mention that I already did). I had also submitted separate DoT complaints since my flights were on separate itineraries which may have complicated the matter. The DoT only forwarded one of my complaints that I can see, at least.

Their response:
In your original complaint you only mentioned 2 refunds IDs and the departure flight. As you seem to have two separate itineraries, you would have had to mention to us both. There is no way for this department that does not deal with reservations to know you have multiple bookings.

If you have disputed the charge for the outbound tickets with your credit card company, you will need to contact your credit card company for further assistance. Once a credit card dispute has been initiated the tickets are not available for refund and can only be released upon the settlement of the dispute.

Nice, I was finally able to get the other leg of the trip that touched US soil refunded after several emails back and forth to [email protected]. I originally submitted them as 2 DoT complaints b/c they were separate itineraries. DoT forwarded one of my complaints but not the other. TAP refunded that one. They issued me a voucher for the other one. After emailing back and forth and them asking for the voucher ID's, they forwarded my request to the refund department to be issued a refund.
Often1 likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Given that EU law applies to pretty much all TAP tickets (not even sure that its routes have any exceptions) or US law or both, there should not be an instance where one can't get a ticket refunded if TAP is the operating carrier of a cancelled segment.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Nice, I was finally able to get the other leg of the trip that touched US soil refunded after several emails back and forth to [email protected]. I originally submitted them as 2 DoT complaints b/c they were separate itineraries. DoT forwarded one of my complaints but not the other. TAP refunded that one. They issued me a voucher for the other one. After emailing back and forth and them asking for the voucher ID's, they forwarded my request to the refund department to be issued a refund.
Congratulations! How long did it take them to issue your refund?
Old May 7, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1
Given that EU law applies to pretty much all TAP tickets (not even sure that its routes have any exceptions) or US law or both, there should not be an instance where one can't get a ticket refunded if TAP is the operating carrier of a cancelled segment.
Not the case in practice. I think you may have missed the ample discussion on this forum and others regarding what is happening in Europe. This issue is not being dealt with in the same manner in Europe as it is in North America.

You are correct that EU law SHOULD protect consumers in these circumstances. However, airlines are blatantly ignoring EU law outright. Sadly, it is not the case currently that a refund will necessarily be issued. In fact, in most all cases it is being refused.

In Europe, local governments have given support to offering vouchers while the European Commission has repeatedly insisted that that is inconsistent with EU law. chargebacks are nearly impossible to request as many banks and issuers are refusing to open them against airlines. And unlike the DOT which has enforcement powers, the European Commission delegates those powers to individual countries (which are not keen on enforcing EU law in these circumstances).

If a traveler is located in North America (Canada seems to be following the DOT's line as well), he/she can dispute and request a chargeback. That is largely not possible in Europe. We are up a creek with no paddle here.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by krzysz
Congratulations! How long did it take them to issue your refund?
From when they said they were sending to when I received it? About 14 days.

I will note that I also had a chargeback open with Barclaycardus on that one. The refund was backdated to the original purchase date. I don't know if it was the chargeback or the TAP refund that did it, but TAP claimed that the refund was already paid when I had asked them about it at the 10 day mark. A refund that TAP did to my Amex was not backdated. It could just be a difference of Amex and Barclay though.
krzysz likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 1:54 pm

Exclamation

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
That is largely not possible in Europe. We are up a creek with no paddle here.
These is from practice also from biggest EU banks? Why that happens?
Old May 8, 2020, 4:26 pm

From when they said they were sending to when I received it? About 14 days.

I will note that I also had a chargeback open with Barclaycardus on that one. The refund was backdated to the original purchase date. I don't know if it was the chargeback or the TAP refund that did it, but TAP claimed that the refund was already paid when I had asked them about it at the 10 day mark. A refund that TAP did to my Amex was not backdated. It could just be a difference of Amex and Barclay though.
per a letter I received in the mail, it was the chargeback. Not sure if that’s why tap said it was already refunded (because of the chargeback)
Old May 9, 2020, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Bit new to this thread so I haven't backread the entire thing, but I'm not sure someone like me, who has bought Tap Air tix from IAD > LIS> AMS on May 27 (coming back from Madrid to Lisbon to IAD June 7) with credit card REWARD PTS (Citi). I've called Citi and they are just saying they defer to whatever Tap Air says, which is a voucher. And I am also a bit afraid about the voucher since on the Tap Air website, it says their policy goes to May 11. Is that tickets booked up until May 11? Or...
Old May 9, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by ogoodridge
Bit new to this thread so I haven't backread the entire thing, but I'm not sure someone like me, who has bought Tap Air tix from IAD > LIS> AMS on May 27 (coming back from Madrid to Lisbon to IAD June 7) with credit card REWARD PTS (Citi). I've called Citi and they are just saying they defer to whatever Tap Air says, which is a voucher. And I am also a bit afraid about the voucher since on the Tap Air website, it says their policy goes to May 11. Is that tickets booked up until May 11? Or...
Often1's post doesn't exactly apply in your case (nor is it accurate in Europe in reality but that's besides the point).

But since you are in the US I would say you have two options.

1) You try to resolve your matter with TAP. Like most European airlines they are pushing back on refunds, instead issuing vouchers. So most likely TAP is going to issue you a voucher.

2) If you don't want a voucher but a "refund"....even if TAP agreed, it wouldn't go to you- it would go to Citi. You didn't pay cash, Citi paid the cash. You paid points.

If Citi is refusing to dispute this then my sense is you're stuck with a voucher. But others may have different thoughts.
Old May 10, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance
My reservation with TAP has been cancelled. I called 1-800-221-7370 several times at different times of the day, and kept getting the message "this service is closed until 8 am". Is there another number to call from Canada to get a refund? Thanks for your help.
Old May 10, 2020, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by conglomerate
My reservation with TAP has been cancelled. I called 1-800-221-7370 several times at different times of the day, and kept getting the message "this service is closed until 8 am". Is there another number to call from Canada to get a refund? Thanks for your help.
I would call the number in Greece long distance. I called the Canadian number and got through easily about 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by djjaguar64; May 10, 2020 at 7:21 pm
Old May 10, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Angry

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I would call the number in Greece long distance
I tried the number again later today, and stayed on the line for Portuguese. After randomly pressing a few numbers I heard music, and knew I was in the queue. I talked to the agent in English. After giving her my ticket number, I was told no refunds, only voucher as per their web site. I am going to initiate chargeback.
Old May 10, 2020, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by conglomerate
I tried the number again later today, and stayed on the line for Portuguese. After randomly pressing a few numbers I heard music, and knew I was in the queue. I talked to the agent in English. After giving her my ticket number, I was told no refunds, only voucher as per their web site. I am going to initiate chargeback.
That's not true that no refunds, there's a contact us on their website and you can request a refund. Yes, go ahead and start a chargeback. I requested a voucher as I will be using it next year, I think the voucher is good for 2 years.
Old May 11, 2020, 8:10 am

@conglomerate. I used the US toll free number. (1.800.903.7914). Hit 6 and again 6. This was suggested by another user upthread. I waited under 10 minutes and I asked for a refund to my credit card. I had no trouble with them on this. They gave me a confirmation number. I will see if it is true in 10 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.