Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Cancelling and getting a refund from TAP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling and getting a refund from TAP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by shoeflyer
Reply to mkannuri (msg 205):

This thread is the one to review:
GUIDE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 “EU” complaints, compensation and TAP

I dealt with this last fall and I believe I got an email acknowledgement after submitting the information on the "Complaints"
section of the website, followed by an email response from a human being.

But in the worst case, send email (sticking to the pertinent info) to [email protected].
These threads are very long I know, but might I suggest listing the following information in the wiki to save (especially North American travelers) some time?

Specifically:

1) By all means reach out to TP and cite the EC261/2004 requirement to refund but expect lengthy delays. In early April, the European Commission restated the obligation of airlines to offer customers the choice of a refund OR a voucher. Airlines across Europe ignored this and blatantly (as we know) continued to issue vouchers for canceled flights. On April 29th, a petition https://www.forbes.com/sites/davekea.../#7e14efd6112f was made to the European Commission by 12 European governments requesting that vouchers be an acceptable form of compensation in light of the Coronavirus crisis. The European Commission appears to agree yet has not taken any action against local airlines in this regard.

2) For flights that touch US soil, customers may also file complaints with the US DOT.

3) NORTH AMERICANS can typically request chargebacks from their banks/card issuers- this is probably the easiest way to go since one can presume TAP is not eager to refund-- although it may help to cite that they are not compliant with EC261 and/or the latest DOT statement requiring a full refund when requested.

4) IN EUROPE, the situation is more nuanced. Some issuers-- American Express in particular- are refusing to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks issuing Mastercard or VIsa cards are adopting this policy.

Key players to Tweet to NOW as this issue is being imminently defined--

**Adina Ioana Valean European Commissioner for EU Transport @AdinaValean
**EU Transport @transport_EU
**Věra Jourová Vice-President for Values and Transparency in the European Commission @verajourova
**European Commission @EU_Commission
**EU Consumer Affaires @EU_Consumer
cad-spe and 36902BRF like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:03 am

<<So the CC company denied your chargeback? I assume the grounds was TAP claimed to have issued you a voucher?>>

No, I received a package from my CC that showed that TAP refused the refund and that they were offering only a limited voucher through 12/2020.

The CC asked if I want to continue the dispute, which I am doing. I the. received the newest vouchers from TAP with the extended date and statement that a refund would be provided by email AFTER I received the package from my CC. I AM continuing the dispute and feel much more confident that a refund will be given, now that I have the most recent emails from TAP.
36902BRF likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks for the heads up. I see that flight in June for my trip is now also off the schedule (they seem to still be planning on flying BOS-LIS that day). I went to pull up my reservation and it denied me access. Weird. So I went to AMEX Chat and disputed the charge. I guess I'll try calling TAP at some point, too, but it doesn't sound like that will get me much right now.
Any news on that? I have the same deal with my 6/27 - it is not showing up as a flight at 11:55PM but there is a flight to Lisbon at 5:35PM and I can technically buy a similar itinerary - just not on my hours. I, too, am getting "access denied" when trying to manage my reservation.
Old May 2, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Originally Posted by progol
<<So the CC company denied your chargeback? I assume the grounds was TAP claimed to have issued you a voucher?>>

No, I received a package from my CC that showed that TAP refused the refund and that they were offering only a limited voucher through 12/2020.

The CC asked if I want to continue the dispute, which I am doing. I the. received the newest vouchers from TAP with the extended date and statement that a refund would be provided by email AFTER I received the package from my CC. I AM continuing the dispute and feel much more confident that a refund will be given, now that I have the most recent emails from TAP.
I'm in the same situation, my CC came back after 5 weeks to say that the sum would be re applied to my account, accompanied with lots of irrelevant paperwork from TAP - copies of original booking, ways to apply for a voucher etc.
I got back to my CC to ask what the grounds were for their decision, seems that they were in agreement with TAP.
Anyway they suggest that I reopen the dispute and try again as I should have a good case for a refund ie refundable ticket, EU directive etc.
I'll give it a couple more weeks.
Old May 4, 2020, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by gr2020
I submitted a cancel/refund request on 3/2, and on 3/5 the status changed to "Your refund has been made. Please contact your bank or credit card issuer to confirm date of payment."

Their site says credit card refunds will be made within 7 days (per https://www.flytap.com/en-us/support...&accordionid=7). I've tried emailing them (no answer), DM on Twitter (no answer), and calling them (either busy signal or perma-hold).

It's now 3/26, and they've had 21 days to refund it back to my card, and have not yet done so. Called Amex, chatted with the CSR, and she suggested it was probably time to open a dispute for the charge - so that's what I did. I really don't like to dispute charges, as I know it involves additional fees for the vendor, but in this case I didn't feel like there was anything else I could do.
Originally Posted by gr2020
Just an update, one month later - still no refund from TAP, and Amex inquiry/dispute still in progress.
One more update (hopefully the last!) - Amex inquiry appears to have been closed and resolved in my favor, and they say my account will be credited on the next statement. The wording of the letter I got implies that TAP might have never responded to their inquiry; it says Amex may consider their response at a later date, but it also says I can consider the resolution final if I don't hear anything more by 5/21.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:03 pm

Let me contribute to this discussion with my situation: TAP cancelled our flights for September (so almost 6 months upfront!) Chicago-Lisbon-Budapest and back and automatically gave us airline credit. Since they suspended all overseas flights, we actually have no possibility to use the credit! I am trying to contact them and request money back, to no success so far. I can't even find the refund request on their site! Would going to the CC company be our next step?
Old May 4, 2020, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barciur
Any news on that? I have the same deal with my 6/27 - it is not showing up as a flight at 11:55PM but there is a flight to Lisbon at 5:35PM and I can technically buy a similar itinerary - just not on my hours. I, too, am getting "access denied" when trying to manage my reservation.
I checked their website over the weekend and my itinerary had returned, listing the flights that no longer actually exist.

I'm thinking of calling TAP this week. Given my prior refund calls with online travel agencies and airlines, I'm not looking forward to the experience. Is TAP answering the phone? I do have my chargeback "investigation" under way with AMEX with a provisional credit, so I guess I could do nothing, but I've previously found it helpful with the credit card companies to get the airline to actually issue a refund. I'll see if that's possible with TAP.
Old May 4, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by iahphx
I checked their website over the weekend and my itinerary had returned, listing the flights that no longer actually exist.

I'm thinking of calling TAP this week. Given my prior refund calls with online travel agencies and airlines, I'm not looking forward to the experience. Is TAP answering the phone? I do have my chargeback "investigation" under way with AMEX with a provisional credit, so I guess I could do nothing, but I've previously found it helpful with the credit card companies to get the airline to actually issue a refund. I'll see if that's possible with TAP.
If you are in North America which I presume you must be then contact TAP.
also open a chargeback. That will be faster than waiting for them to refund.
mmff likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by deaddogfluffy
Let me contribute to this discussion with my situation: TAP cancelled our flights for September (so almost 6 months upfront!) Chicago-Lisbon-Budapest and back and automatically gave us airline credit. Since they suspended all overseas flights, we actually have no possibility to use the credit! I am trying to contact them and request money back, to no success so far. I can't even find the refund request on their site! Would going to the CC company be our next step?
There are 2 steps you can take as TAP is unlikely to refund you right now. File a complaint with DOT and state you were given a voucher instead of a required refund. Also contact your CC company to open a dispute since TAP owes you a refund.
36902BRF likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by FLYDCA
There are 2 steps you can take as TAP is unlikely to refund you right now. File a complaint with DOT and state you were given a voucher instead of a required refund. Also contact your CC company to open a dispute since TAP owes you a refund.
This is basically what I did. The DOT complaint and the CC chargeback are pretty close to completely overlapping so I was able to draft up and submit one letter (slightly modified for each audience) and all my evidence (ticket terms, refund request screenshots, etc.) to both. I also feel it strengthens your chargeback a bit if you can reference you have also filed a DOT complaint.

Last edited by 36902BRF; May 5, 2020 at 8:51 am
Old May 5, 2020, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Baflyer11
My flight 5/22/20 JFK-LIS TP208 disappeared from TAP’s website last week (as with all direct JFK-LIS flights in that timeframe), however my booking reservation still shows as active. After calling TAP (waited ~10 minutes), the agent noted “as of now, the flight still shows as active, I cannot speak to why it is not showing as available online”. My inclination is TAP is waiting to notify booked passengers of their flight cancellations closer to what would have been actual flight date, for a variety of reasons. Once (if) i get a confirmed cancellation, I plan to initiate DOT complaint if cash refund request through TAP goes nowhere (which seems likely based on everyone’s experience).

The more inconvenient aspect of this situation is that I need verified cancellation of the flight reservation to begin processing appropriate AirBnB “extenuating circumstances” cancellations throughout Europe for what would have been a 2 week vacation in multiple countries.

Has anyone else had this experience, where the flight is no longer available on the site but TAP has refused to “cancel” their reservation? It has been a week since the flight disappeared from their website and all booking platforms, and my reservation still shows as “active’.

Update: I checked my reservation number today and the flight now shows as cancelled. TAP removed the reservation details from my account and did not send a cancellation email - so they removed my ability to “manage” reservation in my account. The only way to view the reservation is through typing in the reservation number on the “manage reservations” tab. Only options shown are rebook and request voucher. I will be contacting TAP to have a formal cancellation email sent for my records (hopefully they will accommodate this...) to submit DOT complaint. This would be a critical document needed to cancel my AirBnB reservations, which after reading many stories regarding the AirBnB “extenuating Circumstances” policy seems to be very hit or miss and difficult to navigate.

Will update further on DOT complaint process and TAPs response.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Baflyer11
I will be contacting TAP to have a formal cancellation email sent for my records (hopefully they will accommodate this...) to submit DOT complaint. This would be a critical document needed to cancel my AirBnB reservations, which after reading many stories regarding the AirBnB “extenuating Circumstances” policy seems to be very hit or miss and difficult to navigate.
Yeah this is a real issue and not just with TAP. I had a Delta flight booked with Virgin Atlantic points and they cancelled the transatlantic leg but left my domestic leg intact. No cancellation email from either Delta or VS. Thankfully I was able to use my state's stay at home order which had an end date after my trip to get a refund from AirBnB. I realize now however that by proactively cancelling my TAP refundable booking I may have messed up my AirBnB refund options for this summer. That said it seems likely that the country is question isn't going to open up to international travel so hopefully I can use that.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
What utter disdain this company's customer service employees have for their customers. I think if they survive this, we wont ever consider flying them again. My saga of getting $3400 refunded continues. AMEX Travel is incompetent and saying that TAPs directions are insufficient. So I emailed TAP back with my case number and said "please put a note in the PNR so that AMEX feels empowered to act on this email."

Response back, which is oh so helpful
Dear Mr. X,

American Express deals with cancellations all of the time.

They know very well that they must send a request to their local TAP Agency Help Desk to request a waiver or the procedures to process the refund. If American Express requires assistance they can also reach out to their TAP Account Manager.

Thank you!

TAP Air Portugal
I am now one month past date of cancelled travel and still not even in the processing phase of my refund. No more AMEX Travel, no more TAP.
Old May 5, 2020, 3:35 pm

I just logged in to check and this is what I got. It appears that only the Lisbon - Barcelona parts of the trip were cancelled. Nevertheless, the whole trip is a bust. No e-mail, like you said. Do you guys recommend calling TAP first and then filing a Chase chargeback if they refuse a refund?

Last edited by Barciur; May 5, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Old May 6, 2020, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Barciur
I just logged in to check and this is what I got. It appears that only the Lisbon - Barcelona parts of the trip were cancelled. Nevertheless, the whole trip is a bust. No e-mail, like you said. Do you guys recommend calling TAP first and then filing a Chase chargeback if they refuse a refund?

They are required to give you a refund. There's nothing to stop them offering it in the form of a voucher - but absolutely no obligation on you to accept that option.

They cancelled the flight: you get to select the remedy. It's European law, not open to a member-state, still less an airline, to suspend or alter.

You don't want to risk becoming an unsecured creditor of a bankrupt airline, so think twice about a voucher, even with a 20% uplift

In short, if you want a refund then they must give you a refund. If they refuse to give you your money back, certainly try speaking to a supervisor to make your position clear, but if you don't gain satisfaction you should immediately pursue the credit card charge-back route.

If they agree to a refund, it should be implemented within 7 days. If they haven't paid up after a couple of weeks, then consider turning to your credit card company for assistance. I wouldn't hang around too long before registering a dispute: TAP has never enjoyed robust financial health and the current crisis must be testing its resources.
Barciur likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.