Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 “EU” complaints, compensation and TAP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 February 2004 establishes common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights, and repealing Regulation (EEC) No 295/91.

Best FT thread for referencing EC261/2004: The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Note update - 2016 June 10
EU clarification on EC261/2004
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes...16)3502_en.pdf

Where and how to address for EC 261 claims:

Originally Posted by irishguy28
EC261/2004 claims should be lodged with the operating airline.

Go to the complaints page, select "Submit a complaint", and select "Delay" in the drop-down box.

Keep the comments to the bare minimum - stick to the facts, and best to use bullet points. Keep all commentary about anything other than the bald facts of the case out of the submission ("We were very upset and disappointed..." etc etc) and make no reference to any of the topics already explained to you in this thread to be of no relevance to the airline or to this claim ("We lost the first pre-paid night of our vacation as we had a non-refundable hotel booking" etc etc)

Attach scans/photographs of your boarding passes - the original boarding passes showing the original departure details, and the replacement boarding passes showing the later actual departure details - and include the original e-ticket receipt and any communications/emails/texts from the airline notifying you of the delay.

I would also advise you specifically write that you want the €600 per passenger in cash (transferred to your bank account) rather than a voucher to be used with TAP within 12 months of 50% greater value...unless this truly is your wish. I've explained above why it is generally a bad idea to accept a voucher in lieu of cash.
Code:
The regulation applies to any passenger:

- departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to
which the Treaty applies;
Code:
The protection accorded to passengers departing from or to an airport
located in a Member State should be extended to those leaving an airport
located in a third country for one situated in a Member State, when a
Community carrier operates the flight and where a community carrier
is defined as any carrier licensed to operate within that community.
Code:
- departing from an EU member state, or travelling to an EU member state
- on an airline based in an EU member state if that person has:
- a confirmed reservation on the flight, and
- arrived in time for check-in as indicated on the ticket or communication
from the airline airline, or, if no time is so indicated, no less than 45 minutes
prior to the scheduled departure time of the flight
or
- have been transferred from the flight for which he/she held a reservation
to some other flight unless
- the passenger is travelling on a free or discounted ticket not available
to the general public, other than a ticket obtained from a frequent flyer
programme.

It does not apply to helicopter flights, to any flight not operated by a
fixed-wing aircraft, nor to flights from Gibraltar Airport.[1]

(wikipedia)
Link to article on Wikipedia: "The Flight Delay Compensation Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 is a regulation establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding, flight cancellations, or long delays of flights. It repealed Regulation (EEC) No 295/91, and went into effect on 18 February 2005. It sets out the entitlements of air passengers when a flight that they intend to travel on is delayed or cancelled, or when they are denied boarding to such a flight due to overbooking, or when the airline is unable to accommodate them in the class they had booked." It applies to Member States and includes French overseas territories.

Heretofore, the ruling only applied to flights leaving Europe on all airlines, or flights from anywhere to Europe, on European airlines. Most recently (July 2019), a new European Court of Justice ruling commands that even flights which connect to non-EU airlines, but were booked as one ticket from the EU must be compensated. (link to article on godsavethepoints.com)

Link to EC 261/2004 text in several languages.

Link to language (English) Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) of EC 261/2004

Link to description by Air Passenger Rights a "multilingual consumer website explaining the rights of air passengers in the European Union."

Link to contact details of EC 261/2004 enforcement bodies

Link to English language EC 261/2004 compliaint form PDF

Email for EC claims at (to determine)

Link to BAEC Forum lengthy EC261/2004 thread.

Link to thisismoney.co.uk article explaining EC261/2004.

Emirates told to pay out on missed connection claims, by Mark Caswell, Business Traveller, 19 Mar 2018

“Despite all this, expect airlines to give you a hard time with your claim. File a claim on your own, but if you find yourself stonewalled or denied unfairly, enlisting a firm like AirHelp or Bott & Co can be huge, since they fight the case for you, in exchange for a 25% cut of the recovered cash. A 75% chunk of something is better than 100% of nothing.” (godsavethepoints.com)

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 “EU” complaints, compensation and TAP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:29 am

Thanks, this is a very helpful data point. It's somewhat irritating that no updates are reflected on their website other than the original "complaint received" but I guess that's just how they operate. I'll likely check in just to see but won't expect any response until 28 business days.

In the meantime I'll go back to getting Delta to credit me MQM's for a rebooked flight due to a delay on the incoming connection. Apparently their system doesn't think it's an eligible segment.

Originally Posted by Coathanger
My FNC-LIS flight on 10 June was cancelled and the subsequent flight delayed so I arrived in Lisbon 3 hours and 50 minutes later than originally scheduled, which means €250 per passenger.

Submitted a formal complaint on 11 June via the TAP website (which was auto acknowledged) and followed up multiple times via email, Twitter and call centre. Eventually got put through to the complaints team after a little HUACA and was advised by the lady that TAP will respond after 28 business days.

It's somewhat coincidental that the Portuguese authority for enforcing EU261, the Autoridade Nacional da Aviação Civil (ANAC), has this to say on their English complaint form (bolding mine):

So reading between the lines, TAP have decided to make customers wait the full six weeks allowed by ANAC before providing any sort of response to delay payment as they know no action will be taken by the regulator before then. I have emailed ANAC twice and have had zero response.

Will be following up with TAP later this week once the 28 business days have elapsed.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jeff191
Thanks, this is a very helpful data point. It's somewhat irritating that no updates are reflected on their website other than the original "complaint received" but I guess that's just how they operate. I'll likely check in just to see but won't expect any response until 28 business days.

In the meantime I'll go back to getting Delta to credit me MQM's for a rebooked flight due to a delay on the incoming connection. Apparently their system doesn't think it's an eligible segment.
I've followed up with their Twitter team after getting no email response. They confirmed it was under investigation since 26 June (rather than the 11 June submit date), so I've filed a complaint with ANAC using their English PDF form.

I've got all the time in the world so will just keep plugging away at our friends in Lisbon (who actually have a good quality in flight product and friendly cabin crew).
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:23 am

Another two weeks have now elapsed with zero response from TAP, other than their Twitter team advising I will be contacted as soon as possible by the relevant department.

I've engaged Flight Right to pursue the claim with TAP directly so we shall see how this plays out.

Given TAP appears to be unwilling to engage with a customer directly, I would engage a claims company immediately in future for this airline.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:31 am

I'm filing today a claim with TP, I'll update when and if I receive an answer.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Best email for TAP for North America:

[email protected]

Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I have regular success getting TAP to pay up. You must be persistent and they will use every delaying tactic at their disposal but as soon as the 6 weeks after the complaint are expired, go to Twitter and write an Email to:
TAP Fale Connosco <[email protected]>

They will at the end also offer you a TAP travel voucher for 25% more than the cash value of your EU261 claim which is also good if you buy tickets with TAP a lot.

Also, do not play the silly game they do with you at Lisbon airport when delayed overnight. They love to bus 50 people at a time to a hotel about 30Km away for the night where they get good rates. This would be ok if the transport were organised promptly and the transport back to the airport wasn't at a fixed time of 6:30am. So, in brief, ignore the lines, the inefficient under-motivated staff, get your own taxi, hotel and meals and claim it back from them later.
Coathanger, 36902BRF and tecate55 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:34 am

As of today still no follow up from TAP other than a generic reply to FB message that they're still reviewing. No update to original complaint filed through website. Will reach out to above email and see what happens.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:54 am

6 weeks have passed without a reply, despite a request on twitter and one via email. I'm not going to bother playing this game and I'm filing a complaint with the regulators.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:53 am

I finally received a response last week that stated they needed my billing information to process payment or I could opt to take a credit in higher amount for future flights. I've provided my information so we will see how long it takes to get the funds. It took a little over 3 months from time I filed initial complaint with no contact in between other than generic replies that they have received my complaint.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:01 pm

Another update, the funds showed up in my account today 11/1 for all 3 travelers in my party. No communication that they were processing, no updates since the email last week asking for my banking information, money just showed up. Wish they did a better job of responding to communications but happy that they at least did pay the compensation in the end.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't look a gift horse in the amount. You asked for compensation, the carrier asked for your bank details and deposited the funds. That is all it is obligated to do.

Perhaps prefer cut & paste statements about how despondent the carrier is about delays and how much it values you but no money?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:33 pm

Certainly didn't mean to imply that I'm not incredibly happy they paid the compensation. Much better result than I actually expected but it took over 3.5 months with only 2 actual replies from a human and multiple messages sent without a reply at all. That's what I was referencing in my complaint about their communications, not so much the process after they actually agreed to pay.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I have regular success getting TAP to pay up. You must be persistent and they will use every delaying tactic at their disposal but as soon as the 6 weeks after the complaint are expired, go to Twitter and write an Email to:
TAP Fale Connosco <[email protected]>

They will at the end also offer you a TAP travel voucher for 25% more than the cash value of your EU261 claim which is also good if you buy tickets with TAP a lot.
This is the winning strategy. ^

My claim was submitted in June and I just received payment into my bank account today.

In my case, the Twitter team were of no help despited multiple claimed escalations and Flight Right (one of the claim agencies) were unable to get TAP to pay up. So I raised an enquiry via https://www.livroreclamacoes.pt/inicio (the Portuguese Government's online complaint book).

Shortly after I was contacted by TAP Fale Connosco and after the usual TAP voucher offer (in my case 50% more than cash value) or 65K Victoria miles, they paid out the €250.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:22 am

I got paid today too... for a misconnect ex-FNC that caused me to spend the night in Lisbon in January.

I got nowhere, hired EUclaim (Flight Right said I wasn't entitled to compensation because I could've made my connection, which may have been true were it not between two flights at remote gates), and they sent some letters. Eventually TAP offered to pay me directly or give me an €800 voucher and EUclaim sent me an invoice for their 'services'. Over two months later, I finally got my €800 voucher. I don't fly TAP that often but for double compensation I'll take it.

Next time I think I'll do it myself, though I'm not sure if EUclaim's presence in the mix is what got me a 100% bonus or not.
Coathanger likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Coathanger
So I raised an enquiry via https://www.livroreclamacoes.pt/inicio (the Portuguese Government's online complaint book).
I can't find tap in the list of companies. How did you do it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.