Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 “EU” complaints, compensation and TAP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 February 2004 establishes common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights, and repealing Regulation (EEC) No 295/91.

Best FT thread for referencing EC261/2004: The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Note update - 2016 June 10
EU clarification on EC261/2004
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes...16)3502_en.pdf

Where and how to address for EC 261 claims:

Originally Posted by irishguy28
EC261/2004 claims should be lodged with the operating airline.

Go to the complaints page, select "Submit a complaint", and select "Delay" in the drop-down box.

Keep the comments to the bare minimum - stick to the facts, and best to use bullet points. Keep all commentary about anything other than the bald facts of the case out of the submission ("We were very upset and disappointed..." etc etc) and make no reference to any of the topics already explained to you in this thread to be of no relevance to the airline or to this claim ("We lost the first pre-paid night of our vacation as we had a non-refundable hotel booking" etc etc)

Attach scans/photographs of your boarding passes - the original boarding passes showing the original departure details, and the replacement boarding passes showing the later actual departure details - and include the original e-ticket receipt and any communications/emails/texts from the airline notifying you of the delay.

I would also advise you specifically write that you want the €600 per passenger in cash (transferred to your bank account) rather than a voucher to be used with TAP within 12 months of 50% greater value...unless this truly is your wish. I've explained above why it is generally a bad idea to accept a voucher in lieu of cash.
Code:
The regulation applies to any passenger:

- departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to
which the Treaty applies;
Code:
The protection accorded to passengers departing from or to an airport
located in a Member State should be extended to those leaving an airport
located in a third country for one situated in a Member State, when a
Community carrier operates the flight and where a community carrier
is defined as any carrier licensed to operate within that community.
Code:
- departing from an EU member state, or travelling to an EU member state
- on an airline based in an EU member state if that person has:
- a confirmed reservation on the flight, and
- arrived in time for check-in as indicated on the ticket or communication
from the airline airline, or, if no time is so indicated, no less than 45 minutes
prior to the scheduled departure time of the flight
or
- have been transferred from the flight for which he/she held a reservation
to some other flight unless
- the passenger is travelling on a free or discounted ticket not available
to the general public, other than a ticket obtained from a frequent flyer
programme.

It does not apply to helicopter flights, to any flight not operated by a
fixed-wing aircraft, nor to flights from Gibraltar Airport.[1]

(wikipedia)
Link to article on Wikipedia: "The Flight Delay Compensation Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 is a regulation establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding, flight cancellations, or long delays of flights. It repealed Regulation (EEC) No 295/91, and went into effect on 18 February 2005. It sets out the entitlements of air passengers when a flight that they intend to travel on is delayed or cancelled, or when they are denied boarding to such a flight due to overbooking, or when the airline is unable to accommodate them in the class they had booked." It applies to Member States and includes French overseas territories.

Heretofore, the ruling only applied to flights leaving Europe on all airlines, or flights from anywhere to Europe, on European airlines. Most recently (July 2019), a new European Court of Justice ruling commands that even flights which connect to non-EU airlines, but were booked as one ticket from the EU must be compensated. (link to article on godsavethepoints.com)

Link to EC 261/2004 text in several languages.

Link to language (English) Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) of EC 261/2004

Link to description by Air Passenger Rights a "multilingual consumer website explaining the rights of air passengers in the European Union."

Link to contact details of EC 261/2004 enforcement bodies

Link to English language EC 261/2004 compliaint form PDF

Email for EC claims at (to determine)

Link to BAEC Forum lengthy EC261/2004 thread.

Link to thisismoney.co.uk article explaining EC261/2004.

Emirates told to pay out on missed connection claims, by Mark Caswell, Business Traveller, 19 Mar 2018

“Despite all this, expect airlines to give you a hard time with your claim. File a claim on your own, but if you find yourself stonewalled or denied unfairly, enlisting a firm like AirHelp or Bott & Co can be huge, since they fight the case for you, in exchange for a 25% cut of the recovered cash. A 75% chunk of something is better than 100% of nothing.” (godsavethepoints.com)

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 “EU” complaints, compensation and TAP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Just made a claim to the ANAC authority ....

Originally Posted by HomerJ
...still 'nuthin.
...as 6+ weeks have passed and nary a peep from TAP.
I'll keep u posted.....
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:45 am

PAID.......got my cheques yesterday.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:59 am

Just a quick note...thanks to FT for giving me the info for making a claim....appreciated!
Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:43 pm

I just submitted a complaint online a few minutes ago using the complaint form process outlined in the wiki. Will be interesting to see how long they take to resolve the EC261/2004 claim... I asked for cash not a voucher for all 5 passengers on my itinerary. We had a 2 hour delay (reason not stated) from TFS-LIS 2 Nov. Missed LIS-MAN on 2 Nov as a result and were given hotel accom, meals and taxi. They rebooked us on to LIS-MAN 3 Nov so arrived about 16 hours delayed arrival in to MAN.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold
Hello, wanting to confirm details on how a flight delay is calculated. I tried to search the articles for information
on this but couldn't find the exact info I think I require,

Flew TAP today ORD-LIS-MAD. I believe this qualifies for EC261 consideration since it is a EU airline
flying to EU destination. We were delayed ~25 mins out of ORD, pilot came on and I thought said it
was due to paperwork, but for the purposes of this question, let's assume no extraordinary circumstances.

The LIS-MAD connection was 1:05 and it was missed. TAP automatically rebooked me. Original connection
was supposed to arrive MAD 11:20am and arrived 11:41am. Rebooked connection was supposed to arrive
MAD at 15:30 and arrived 15:33.

Is the delay for purposes of compensation 3:52 (11:41->15:33), or 4:13 (11:20->15:33)?

I'm inclined to believe it's 3:52, but if someone has info that allows a person to claim 4:13, I'll gladly take the
additional 300 euros....

Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
it's the difference between original scheduled arrival time and actual arrival time at the end destination that matters
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by shoeflyer

I'm inclined to believe it's 3:52, but if someone has info that allows a person to claim 4:13, I'll gladly take the
additional 300 euros....

Thanks!
It's clearly 4H13. The difference between when you were scheduled to arrive and the time you actually arrived. The alternative you present doesn't make sense and, in any case, is not congruent with the the legislation.

The difficult part will be getting the claim to stick ...
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:24 am

So I have a semi-related issue... we booked a weekend in Porto next month, returning Sunday evening on TP654, which is no longer being operated. TAP re-booked me on a flight Sunday morning, but this turns a weekend trip into a one-afternoon trip. I requested a refund and they only refunded the taxes. I submitted a complaint and got a response that the fare was non-refundable.

I understand I'm not due any additional compensation since I was notified of the cancellation over 14 days in advance, but I'm pretty sure 261/2004 requires them to refund the ticket since they cancelled the flight.

Any suggestions? The ticket was paid with a voucher I took in lieu of 261/2004 compensation for a missed connection last year, so I don't have the option of a chargeback.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Nov 12, 2019 at 5:38 am
Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:29 pm

Just to follow up on my previous question, I filed a claim on Saturday morning through the "Complaints" page on flytap.com,
and less than 48 hours later TAP responded, acknowledging the delay and offering a 991 Euro travel voucher or 125,000
Victoria miles. A bit farther down in the response they did also offer the 600 Euro payment.

Based on the some of the previous examples in the thread, I was pleasantly surprised how quickly TAP responded and
affirmed the claim. I was slightly tempted to take the miles, but decided I didn't want to have to figure out how Miles
and Go works, specifically regarding expiration and fees. We'll see how long it takes to have the compensation deposited
into my account.....

By the way, separating TAP into its own forum made it a lot easier to find valuable information related to upgrades, seat
assignments, lounge access, and EC261. Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
So I have a semi-related issue... we booked a weekend in Porto next month, returning Sunday evening on TP654, which is no longer being operated. TAP re-booked me on a flight Sunday morning, but this turns a weekend trip into a one-afternoon trip. I requested a refund and they only refunded the taxes. I submitted a complaint and got a response that the fare was non-refundable.

I understand I'm not due any additional compensation since I was notified of the cancellation over 14 days in advance, but I'm pretty sure 261/2004 requires them to refund the ticket since they cancelled the flight.

Any suggestions? The ticket was paid with a voucher I took in lieu of 261/2004 compensation for a missed connection last year, so I don't have the option of a chargeback.
Write back/file a complaint with TP. Explain that the ticket was cancelled due to cancellation of flight TP654 and a full refund is due - you may even cite the relevant EU Reg. 261/04 rule on rights in case of cancellation. If still refused, file a complaint with the CAA in Portugal (or Belgium?) You are def. entitled to a full refund. Maybe you are not entitled to cash refund when paid with voucher but at least the voucher should be reinstated.

Last edited by SK AAR; Nov 19, 2019 at 11:03 pm
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:53 am

I made a complaint about a 24h flight delay on TAP's website on September 14th and I still have to hear from them. After 6 weeks from the complaint, I also wrote to ANAC but no answer from them either. This is distressing.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yceman
I made a complaint about a 24h flight delay on TAP's website on September 14th and I still have to hear from them. After 6 weeks from the complaint, I also wrote to ANAC but no answer from them either. This is distressing.
Any luck yet?

I have an open complaint, flight on 5th September and made the complaint on 25th September. Nothing yet. It's pretty clear case as the flight was cancelled and re-routing was over the compensation limits.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:24 am

on facebook messenger they advised me to wait 60 days
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:27 pm

I've never done this before so I have a few simple questions...

I'm sitting in FCO waiting for my FCO-LIS TP843 which was scheduled for 7:35pm. It looks like that flight is now delayed until 11:00pm (and continues to get pushed). Since this is medium hall, should I expect to get ​​€400 per person? What happens if they end up canceling as I expect they will? Do I need anything while I'm here at the airport? Does it matter why the flight is delayed? I have no idea since there is no TAP staff inside the terminal. Weather has been fine all day.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:54 am

Happy New Year to all!

Question for anyone who has received EC261 $$ compensation from TAP - can you confirm how the payment was made
into your account?

I provided TAP with a voided check for a US account, but they replied that the deposit was rejected. My account does not
allow international wire transfers, so if that is the concern, I will have to route it to another account. Any thoughts on whether
it has to be a checking account or could it be a brokerage account that accepts wire transfers? My Chase checking account
(which is not the account I provided TAP) accepts international wires but charges a non-trivial fee.

TAP said that they did not have details of why the deposit was rejected. I assume they hand it off to a 3rd party financial
institution to execute. And while I seem to be getting responses from Fale Connosco, communicating with them is slow
and a bit tedious.

Thanks for any insights anyone can offer.

Update: I received the EC261 payment on 10 Jan after filing on 19 Nov. Probably would have been a week or two sooner if
not for the issue with my first account not accepting wires, as it appears the method of payment was indeed an international
wire tranfer. All in all, it was a pretty reasonable experience. I feel for those who have not had satisfactory outcomes.

Last edited by shoeflyer; Jan 13, 2020 at 12:37 pm Reason: update:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.