Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal: Split UA into multiple child forums

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by nsx
What makes this so hard to decide is that the current users of the forum probably prefer it the way it is.
Why not use the polling feature and see if that is really the case?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by tom911
Why not use the polling feature and see if that is really the case?
"I shouldn't have to vote in the poll. I'm a GS. This is preposterous and I want someone fired."
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:55 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I'm still not sure you read the entire OP or the entire thread, because you are reading stuff into this that just isn't there. From your previous reply in this thread it was obvious you didn't read the entire OP.

I thought FT was supposed to be about miles and points. Since I can't seem to get that information in the UA forum anymore, I don't spend hours and hours sifting through the threads to get it.

And there's nothing in the proposal to stop any sort of posts. I'm just asking that they be categorized into sub-forums. one specifically for MP related threads and one for everything else. Or any split that separates the MP related posts and discussion from everything else, like was done in the Mileage Run forum.

-David
I read the proposal and appreciate the thought and effort you put into it. ^

But while FT is 'about points and miles,' ever since the very first days of FT it has also been about the flying/hotel/travel experience. My very first post on the United forum on May 13, 1998, at 9:19am (back when my name was my handle), which was among the very first posts in that forum ever, was about BOTH MP as well as the United experience.

To me, they are so intertwined that I think there would have to be, as I keep saying, Untied-type garbage to usefulness ratio before I'd want to ask the moderators to split the baby in half.

But, again, that's just me. There are 8 other TB members...

Last edited by kokonutz; Mar 13, 2009 at 5:34 pm
Old Mar 13, 2009, 4:15 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Gang,

We ask that people stay on topic. Some posts have been deleted that are not related to the member proposal.

William
Old Mar 13, 2009, 4:16 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I know that I do not want to have to visit two different forums for information on United Airlines. I appreciate having everything United in one forum.

In addition, I am not a fan of subforums... it causes problems on showing newest posts on the front screens.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by wharvey
I know that I do not want to have to visit two different forums for information on United Airlines. I appreciate having everything United in one forum.

In addition, I am not a fan of subforums... it causes problems on showing newest posts on the front screens.
what he said. ^
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:01 pm

Original Poster

Do you only visit one forum on FT today?

Why bother with forums at all? We can just post everything in one giant unsorted pool.

-David
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:03 pm

Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey
I'm not aware of those problems. New posts are new posts. Are the problems related to the way vbulletin is implemented here, or something else?

-David
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I suspect I have made more posts on the UA forum than any other FT'er has.

If it ain't broke .......................... @:-)

Glen
Old Mar 14, 2009, 3:17 am

Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozstamps
I suspect I have made more posts on the UA forum than any other FT'er has.

If it ain't broke .......................... @:-)

Glen
hahaha, Glen. No offense, but a few years ago I would have said you are the poster child for why something like this is needed. I guess you've mellowed out since then. I don't know, I don't get to read many of your posts these days.

-David
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:44 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is typically the first forum I go to when visiting FT and I've never had any problems with it. Sure, the same issues come up over and over again, but mainly because lots of people find them relevant. I agree with the two mods who posted as individuals above, it's not really a problem, leave it as is.

Popular forums seem to develop their own traditions. For example, the BA and BMI forums seem to accept threads about the UK in general for a few days and then move them to the the UK forum. I think the UA forum can tolerate a few minor quirks unique to it as well.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:07 am
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
My two cents on the topic as a lowly forum participant. I use forums a lot, both here and other places. I don't see an easy way to disentangle the UA forum into two subforums without some other event (such as a merger subforum). Right now, if you wanted to break off MP talk, then I'd suggest 90% of the discussions would be impacted due to the fact that status impacts all interractions with UA. One could just as easily suggest a forum break of GS, 1K, 1P, 2P, 3P, GM, and "unenlightened".

So my vote, No, not at this time. Perhaps dust off the old usenet voting rules and get a feel with a poll (with a separate hand holding one for the GS'ers of course )

BTW: Kudo's to the UA mods as they do an excellent job rolling things into the common topics.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:37 am

Original Poster

Originally Posted by gof
My two cents on the topic as a lowly forum participant. I use forums a lot, both here and other places. I don't see an easy way to disentangle the UA forum into two subforums without some other event (such as a merger subforum). Right now, if you wanted to break off MP talk, then I'd suggest 90% of the discussions would be impacted due to the fact that status impacts all interractions with UA. One could just as easily suggest a forum break of GS, 1K, 1P, 2P, 3P, GM, and "unenlightened".
That's not what I found with a random sample of posts. Did you try it?

There's always some overlap in some posts even today with the layout they have today. Does the walkway from domestic to international at SFO thread belong in the UA forum, or in the San Francisco forum? Do threads about the restaurants at the rotunda in the domestic UA terminal at SFO belong in the UA forum or in the San Francisco forum? Sometimes they are moved to SF, sometimes not. You can easily come up with dozens and dozens of examples.

If that's an issue, let's just get rid of all the forums and post everything in one giant pool. It's not a very good argument, just as having one giant pool wouldn't be very useful either. But that's basically what we have today in the UA forum due to the sheer volume of posts there.

Trust me, I already know this is going nowhere.

Basically people are afraid to try something new and say all kinds of things about how it's working perfectly as it is in order to justify it.

I'm afraid we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

-David
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm not saying UA is perfect (or AA or the other airline/hotel forums), but truthfully I see zero reason to split UA into dif or sub-forums. So I vote no on this proposal.

Cheers.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:26 am

Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm not saying UA is perfect (or AA or the other airline/hotel forums), but truthfully I see zero reason to split UA into dif or sub-forums. So I vote no on this proposal.

Cheers.
hahaha, are you a talk board member? None of the members have even agreed to take the issue to the talk board. The talk board members are the one's that have a vote, not you or me.

Don't worry, it's going to die right here.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.