Wiki Posts
Search

Is "Flyertalk Reviews" a failure?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:29 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is "Flyertalk Reviews" a failure?

Excuse me if this has been discussed in another thread, I did a search and got nothing relevant back.

For the first time in a long time, I just looked at "Flyertalk Reviews."

The only item listed with two reviews is "Dr. Hogly Wogly's Tyler Texas BBQ" in LA. Everything else listed has only one review, including apparently what FTers think is the finest hotel in Tokyo, the Takanawa Prince, a midrange hotel at best.

The forum is just not getting traction. Maybe it's time to close it down and move on. And yes, I do like Dr. Hogly Wogly's and thought Boston's Shawarma King was OK, but I certainly wouldn't put either on any top ten list of the world's best restaurants!

On the other hand, I clicked on the reviews and got nothing so maybe the forum is already in the process of being closed down. In which case, feel free to delete this thread.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, UAL Executive Premier
Reviews

I, too, have found "Flyertalk Reviews" of embarrassing inadequacy. Perhaps a click in that direction should bring one to "TripAdvisor".
Old Mar 1, 2009, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I clicked on the reviews and got nothing so maybe the forum is already in the process of being closed down.
I believe Flyertalk Reviews Forum had been discontinued a couple of years back. That's why you don't see any more addition nor updates. You don't see any details on "Last Post", "Threads" & "Posts" from the forum frontpage either.

Don't recall where I saw the "closure announcement" though.

ETA:
It actually had been voted twice (here & here) and should've been closed since 2006.

Last edited by lin821; Mar 1, 2009 at 4:39 pm
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everything else listed has only one review, including apparently what FTers think is the finest hotel in Tokyo, the Takanawa Prince, a midrange hotel at best.
Hang on there, it just says the highest rated hotel. I made that review and certainly never made any claims to it being the 'finest' hotel in Tokyo.

I only paid 13,000yen a night (which was equivalent to about £70 at the time). The review was clear that it wasn't a 5 star hotel, but I still maintain it deserved a 5 star rating for the superb value for money it offered.

I made several reviews when this part of FT was up and running and have used those reviews as references to link to on quite a few occasions in other forums. It's only lately that I've had to stop doing this as I can't get the reviews to actually 'open' on my computer anymore. It's been useful as there have been so many occasions when the 'search' facility has been on the blink, the FT reviews were always easy to find compared to previous posts I've made in the standard forums.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
This embarrassment was supposed to have been done with a long time ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...hlight=reviews

I had been advocating for this since 2005.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

Evidentally old forums never die, they just lose their content....
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:02 pm

Programs: IC Plat RA
Thanks for the info.

Evidentally old forums never die, they just lose their content....
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
So why hasn't it been removed?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 2:49 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
I got to this thread by doing a google search "how to post a flyertalk review."

I still see the forum called Flyertalk Reviews and couldn't figure out why I couldn't post a new review there today. I kept clicking on the "how to post a review" link on the home page of the review site, but was just taken back to the same page.

If Flyertalk Reviews is closed, I shouldn't still see the forum. At a minimum, there should be a message when you go there that the section no longer accepts new reviews. As it is, it will only frustrate members such as myself trying to contribute.

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Jun 13, 2009 at 6:53 am
Old Jun 7, 2009, 6:01 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I think that the way things now work is that FTers write their reviews or Trip Reports either in the 'service category' or closest 'country specific' forum. This does seem to work seasonably well, IMO.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I think that the way things now work is that FTers write their reviews or Trip Reports either in the 'service category' or closest 'country specific' forum. This does seem to work seasonably well, IMO.
One wonders what happens in the off-season
Old Jun 13, 2009, 6:56 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I have no problem with this organization and did indeed post my review in the country specific section.

The problem is that I had no way of knowing that the Review section was closed. This wasted a lot of my time - trying to make the site work. I should not see a section that looks open and be taken in circles when I try to post.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

It seems finally to have vanished! Party, anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.