FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   UPDATE: Motion Adopted: Close the Senior Travel Forum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/915747-update-motion-adopted-close-senior-travel-forum.html)

kokonutz Jan 29, 2009 1:19 am

UPDATE: Motion Adopted: Close the Senior Travel Forum

Moved by Spiff and seconded by skywalkerLAX :

that the Senior Travel forum be closed and its content sent to TravelBuzz or other appropriate fora.

This poll will close on Feb 11, 09 at 7:27 pm or after all TalkBoard members have cast their votes, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:
The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic, and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion. Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback.

BiziBB Jan 29, 2009 1:30 am

I suuport the wording of this motion and the motion itself, unless there should be compelling evidence presented in this thread to not support the motion.

As our representatives, I expect TB members to make an informed decision and to vote in a timely manner, once you have evaluated the evidence and arguments.

Thanks in advance for this vote. ^

ozstamps Jan 29, 2009 6:10 am

Interesting political choice. :td:

Might I ask when the motion to vote to close the equally non visited DISABILITY TRAVEL forum will occur?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel-224/

Oops .. that will be too politically incorrect for any one to even DARE suggest, much less find a seconder.

Consistent inconsistency ...... that's what we all love to see from our elected reps. ^

Glen

Spiff Jan 29, 2009 6:14 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps (Post 11162829)

Might I ask when the motion to vote to close the equally non visited DISABILITY TRAVEL forum will occur?

Start a thread and make a convincing case instead of wild, unproveable "political" allegations is my suggestion if you feel any forum should be closed.

Tacking on conspiracy theory-driven requests for additional forum closure isn't going to get much attention from me. However, a separate thread with a convincing argument might. @:-)

ozstamps Jan 29, 2009 6:18 am

There is as much - or as little - use of both Forums Spiff.

Which is self evident.

No case needs be made. The numbers are there.

Here's a suggestion from a member, that you are obliged to take to TB .. make the motion.

No motion means pure politics with this one. FT'ers are not as dopey as many imagine. ^

Spiff Jan 29, 2009 6:21 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps (Post 11162861)

Here's a suggestion from a member, that you are obliged to take to TB .. make the motion.

Sorry, no compelling argument has been made and attempting to do so here is off-topic, as far as I am concerned.

Start another thread and do try to be convincing. ;)

Jenbel Jan 29, 2009 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps (Post 11162861)
There is as much - or as little - use of both Forums Spiff.

Which is self evident.

No case needs be made. The numbers are there.

No motion means pure politics with this one. FT'ers are not as dopey as many imagine. ^

Oz, when I raised this again, I produced data which demonstrated that the seniors forum was stagnating. It appears that has been sufficiently persuasive to convince at least some members of TB. But I went out and gathered data and facts to support my position - I didn't just express an opinion and expect it to be listened to.

If you are really concerned about the Disabled Travellers forum, why don't you start a separate thread, produce the kind of data which has been produced for Seniors (and as a TB member, i did a lot of analysis and polling of members who were using the forum to find out their views, all of which is already in the private forum)?

Otherwise it looks like you are just trying to use the Disabled Travellers forum as a leverage to try and prevent the closure of a forum which is clearly not doing well. The data for seniors is pretty irrefutable.

trekkie Jan 29, 2009 8:29 am

no,leave the forum as it is. thanks

magiciansampras Jan 29, 2009 8:39 am

How long before the mystery FTers come out of the woodwork to say how much they use this forum? :)

CameraGuy Jan 29, 2009 9:09 am

Shut it down, there are far too many forums as it is.

Jenbel Jan 29, 2009 9:16 am

Ok, because Oz keeps saying Disabled is as inactive as Seniors, I've done the same analysis for Disabled that I did for seniors. The numbers below show seniors forum, followed by disabled travellers, and they are the number of new threads posted in any month.

May: 11 8
Jun: 3 4
Jul: 4 5
Aug: 0 5
Sep: 2 1
Oct: 3 6
Nov: 2 7
Dec: 0 7
Jan: 1 4

Total: 26 47

Disabled Travellers is running at twice the usage rate of Seniors. If we remove May, in which seniors started so got a splurge of threads started at that time by those who had been petitioning for it (i.e. look at ongoing rates only) we see that Seniors had only 15 threads while Disabled Travellers had 39. Monthly rates become less than 2 threads per month for Seniors and more than 4 threads per month for disabled.

Can we stop with the canard that Disabled is as inactive as Seniors? Given the relatively small number of people who may have a need for Disabled, versus the large proportion of the population which falls into the Seniors category, I actually think that the Disabled community is working pretty well.

NickB Jan 29, 2009 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel (Post 11163859)
Ok, because Oz keeps saying Disabled is as inactive as Seniors, I've done the same analysis for Disabled that I did for seniors. The numbers below show seniors forum, followed by disabled travellers, and they are the number of new threads posted in any month.

May: 11 8
Jun: 3 4
Jul: 4 5
Aug: 0 5
Sep: 2 1
Oct: 3 6
Nov: 2 7
Dec: 0 7
Jan: 1 4

Total: 26 47

Disabled Travellers is running at twice the usage rate of Seniors. If we remove May, in which seniors started so got a splurge of threads started at that time by those who had been petitioning for it (i.e. look at ongoing rates only) we see that Seniors had only 15 threads while Disabled Travellers had 39. Monthly rates become less than 2 threads per month for Seniors and more than 4 threads per month for disabled.

Can we stop with the canard that Disabled is as inactive as Seniors? Given the relatively small number of people who may have a need for Disabled, versus the large proportion of the population which falls into the Seniors category, I actually think that the Disabled community is working pretty well.

Jenbel, how dare you spoil a good conspiracy theory with facts? If we start debunking myths on TB topics, this forum will be the next one to be closed for being dormant. :D

tcook052 Jan 29, 2009 9:45 am

I support the motion as made.

gleff Jan 29, 2009 9:46 am

My own view is that senior travel is (a) inactive and (b) doesn't have content that's unique to the audience, ie about how seniors travel differently than everyone else.

Disabled is a bit more active and also more relevant.

ldsant Jan 29, 2009 5:42 pm

I think with numbers supporting that this isn't very active and it never hurts to bring in new forums that might have a broader appeal, my comments are close this forum.