Search

UPDATE: Motion Adopted: Close the Senior Travel Forum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2009, 7:13 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Motion Adopted

Motion Adopted: to close the Senior Travel forum.

Moved by Spiff and seconded by skywalkerLAX:

that the Senior Travel forum be closed and its content sent to TravelBuzz or other appropriate fora

This poll closed Feb 10, 09 at 8:23 pm

Yes: 7, 77.78%
berlinflyer, bhatnasx, gleff, lucky9876coins, nsx, skywalkerLAX, Spiff

No 2, 22.22%
Cholula, kokonutz

Abstain:0, 0%

Voters: 9.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines, a motion shall pass if two-thirds of TalkBoard members participating in that vote vote ‘yes.’

As others have noticed/noted, it appears that the FT Host has already accepted and acted on this recommendation.

Last edited by kokonutz; Feb 11, 2009 at 7:25 am
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:00 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Thanks to the Talkboard for passing this motion. I never thought it would happen upon suggesting it in September of 2008.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Thanks to the Talkboard for passing this motion. I never thought it would happen upon suggesting it in September of 2008.
I guess the arguments made in this thread were better than the ones you provided.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:56 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I guess the arguments made in this thread were better than the ones you provided.
You guess wrong .
Old Feb 17, 2009, 4:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I don't think it is about being right or wrong, it is (just) a majority decision of the board of this ... (what is the abbreveation kokonutz you used sometimes for 'it is just a ...'?), followed by the administration of this ... (enter same abbreveation kokonutz used some times for this 'it is just a ...').

Last edited by Rudi; Feb 17, 2009 at 4:50 pm
Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rudi
I don't think it is about being right or wrong, it is (just) a majority decision of the board of this ... (what is the abbreveation kokonutz you used sometimes for 'it is just a ...'?), followed by the administration of this ... (enter same abbreveation kokonutz used some times for this 'it is just a ...').
IJAFIBB!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: UA1KMM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Rudi

DITTO!!!!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:06 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Yes, IJAFIBB, but now without a badly-underutilized forum causing unnecessary clutter and fragmentation.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
Yes, IJAFIBB, but now without a badly-underutilized forum causing unnecessary clutter and fragmentation.

I can still see Scandanavia, Dollar, LatinPass, Antarctica AND [ducking] Religious Travelers.

If the goal was to eliminate badly-underutilized forums causing unnecessary clutter and fragmentation the job is far from complete.

I did say "if."
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz

I can still see Scandanavia, Dollar, LatinPass, Antarctica AND [ducking] Religious Travelers.

If the goal was to eliminate badly-underutilized forums causing unnecessary clutter and fragmentation the job is far from complete.

I did say "if."
I'm certainly willing to continue tidying up this place.

If there's a forum that is contributing to the clutter and fragmentation, while its contents could be appeal to a broader audience elsewhere, then by all means, start a thread and let's get the discussion going. @:-)
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
While I generally agree with kokonutz's point of view, I do think that the Religious Travel forum occupies a unique niche and does credit to FT -- there just aren't any/many places on the Internets where discussion of and respectful information regarding the distinctive needs/questions about the intersection of travel and religion occurs. Most "religious" forums are pretty sectarian and devoted to theological wrangling and slogan-slinging. The fact that FT has consciously adopted a different model and tone is to its credit, and, I would argue, a warranted exception from the general "clutter" rule of thumb.

I think all of that is different for the former Senior Travel forum. There are dozens of places where such discussion and information (and after all, it is the information that is the point!) can be had in much greater detail, and where ~40% of the posts are not by the same members or former members.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
I'm certainly willing to continue tidying up this place.

If there's a forum that is contributing to the clutter and fragmentation, while its contents could be appeal to a broader audience elsewhere, then by all means, start a thread and let's get the discussion going. @:-)
Ummmm...I didn't have a problem with "clutter." Others allegedly did...yet the hue and cry and wailing and gnashing of teeth against clutter seems to have faded faster than a Patpong t-shirt. Was one senior head on a pike really all it took to sate the de-clutter mob!?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 2:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The word "clutter" appears to be distracting people. The core principle is that a forum needs to pull its own weight by adding enough value to FT to justify its inclusion in what is already a pretty large Forums menu.

It's no more complicated than that.

Value can be demonstrated by post count, provided that those posts don't have somewhere else that would be a better home for them. Value can also be demonstrated by posts with focused content that has no good home anywhere else on FT. In this latter category are the more obscure programs and destinations. However even obscure focused content must meet some threshold of utilization to warrant inclusion in the Forums menu. The less focused the content, the higher that threshold should be, IMHO.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Ummmm...I didn't have a problem with "clutter." Others allegedly did...yet the hue and cry and wailing and gnashing of teeth against clutter seems to have faded faster than a Patpong t-shirt. Was one senior head on a pike really all it took to sate the de-clutter mob!?
Start a new thread if you have forum(s) to consider.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx
The word "clutter" appears to be distracting people. The core principle is that a forum needs to pull its own weight by adding enough value to FT to justify its inclusion in what is already a pretty large Forums menu.

It's no more complicated than that.

Value can be demonstrated by post count, provided that those posts don't have somewhere else that would be a better home for them. Value can also be demonstrated by posts with focused content that has no good home anywhere else on FT. In this latter category are the more obscure programs and destinations. However even obscure focused content must meet some threshold of utilization to warrant inclusion in the Forums menu. The less focused the content, the higher that threshold should be, IMHO.
Well said. Thank you.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.