UPDATE: Motion Adopted: Close the Senior Travel Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UPDATE: Motion Adopted: Close the Senior Travel Forum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:39 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
ozstamps raises a good point. Is this vote really going to mean anything? Do we really think Randy is going to let TB shutter the senior's forum?
My money is on Randy taking the TalkBoard's advice on this one, though I certainly do not presume to speak for Randy.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
who has been leaking you secret info????

This vote result is not announced yet!
Other than once again trying to get a spot on Conspiracy Theory or some similar TV programme, what evidence do you have of magiciansampras' posting to be factual in any way?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Spiff
Other than once again trying to get a spot on Conspiracy Theory or some similar TV programme, what evidence do you have of magiciansampras' posting to be factual in any way?
To be fair, my posting was a question, not a statement of fact. Other FTers may decide whether or not the question is answered affirmatively or negatively.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I must be having a Senior Moment

Yikes I hope not .. there is no forum for that anymore it seems ................
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
I must be having a Senior Moment

Yikes I hope not .. there is no forum for that anymore it seems ................
Sure there is! It's called Omni.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
Sure there is! It's called Omni.
Keep away from there is my advice.

I read that the CIA and the FBI linked up with google and are raiding 1000s of homes each week looking for culprits and miscreants. It is a big issue I understand.

Unless you change your handle or delete all your posts there all is lost. @:-)
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
My standpoint: We have new forum requests all the time and just recently passed the motion for the European Rail Forum which seems to be well accepted.

Now, in order to let all these new forums develop themselves or at least giving them a chance to do so, I rather take forums away that failed to do just this in the past. Let's keep FT clean and organized !

To add more and more and more mini-fora with little to no traffic makes no sense and doesnt serve FT in any way in the whole picture, and a handful user in total just doesnt justify an own forum IMHO. Every FTer is important to the community but we dont operate private chatrooms or an interactive friday evenings club with 3 members.

So for the sake of giving new proposals a reasonable chance, please folks understand the background of this.

Cheers,
S
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Jenbel
... It seems pretty selfish then for the really small number of active users on this forum to ask that their forum be kept open for a handful of people, at the expense of future forums which may actually be able to work.
I take this very personnel - how does anyone dare to call me selfish for what I do/did on/for FlyerTalk?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Depending on how you define senior, I probably fit this demographic--at least by AARP definition although I'm not ready to retire. I have checked this forum maybe 3-4 times and never found any topic useful that couldn't have been discussed in another forum and gotten a broader audience. I say close it.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
my personal judgement is based on

1) lurkers = how many people are interested and look into existing threads/posts
2) posted opinions of current forum users
3) future potential of a currently still low traffic forum (we all get older, slowly but surely)
4) estimation of positiv / negativ effects on FlyerTalk if closing or not closing a/this forum

last but for me (as a FlyerTalk Oldie = Senior/Veteran) not least: a 'historic' FT look back: my (sometimes now a little bit failing = senior moments) memory 10 years back 'tells' me that no forum for a whole year in the first year of FlyerTalk had the traffic (number of lurkers) that this forum has now.

I recommend to leave it (this Senior forum) as it is.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:39 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Rudi
I take this very personnel - how does anyone dare to call me selfish for what I do/did on/for FlyerTalk?
I'm sorry you take it personally, but it seems a good description of the behaviour I described. How would you describe what those who are trying to retain it - at the expense of forums which might be more successful and be welcomed by a larger number of users?

To me, those defending the seniors forum want to put their needs before the needs of other forum users (and potentially many more other forum users than the handful of senior forum users).

You obviously feel justified in doing so - whether that be because you genuinely feel that it isn't an issue, or because you feel that you have given so much to FT that you should get your pet project supported. Unfortunately, where that might have worked on FT, when it was a much smaller community, there are many of us now who have given a lot of time and effort to FT - it's not feasible that we should all be able to sponsor personal boards (otherwise my 'Travel with Small Furry Toys' would have been a reality ) without it being detrimental to the FT that we've worked so hard to support. It seems like you are looking for a one time exception - with intimate knowledge of TB and the politics that surrounds TB, I'd have to say that there is no such thing

(If nothing else because magiciansampras will use it to beat TB over the head for the next x years )
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
(If nothing else because magiciansampras will use it to beat TB over the head for the next x years )
My reputation precedes me!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:56 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I'm sorry you take it personally, but it seems a good description of the behaviour I described. How would you describe what those who are trying to retain it - at the expense of forums which might be more successful and be welcomed by a larger number of users?
I dont subscribe to the theory that by allowing one forum we are denying another.

We might be DILUTING another forum by taking eyes off of it, but there is no limit on the number of forums that I am aware of. So it is not a zero sum game as you seem to imply.

To me, those defending the seniors forum want to put their needs before the needs of other forum users (and potentially many more other forum users than the handful of senior forum users).
Again, it's not a zero sum game. Womens travel forum users are certainly not taking anything away from GLBT travel forum users. Although I guess they are each 'putting their needs before the needs of the other forum users.' But I really don't think that matters, does it? Each of those forums have evolved over time into what they are, relevence to FT or even travel sometimes to the contrary, and each have become very important to the communities they serve. So they were good ideas!

So, again, the bottom line to me is not just 'how many posts are there.' It's 'is this a good idea?'

Because if it is a good idea then there will EVENTUALLY be a robust forum and community.

Magiciansampras came closest to addressing this question:

"I think it is because, to be perfectly blunt, GLBT travelers actually do have a special travel need and seniors don't. Senior travel is close enough to regular travel that many of the questions can be answered elsewhere. GLBT, it seems, has questions that can only really be answered and appreciated by GLBT travelers."

But if the standard is "has questions that can only really be answered and appreciated by other X" then a senior forum remains a good idea. So...

The real question in my mind still is: are fewer seniors on line and comfortable in a FT-like environment in a "senior" forum?

For example, a forum for illiterate travelers might be a good idea, but it is obviously never going to work on an IBB.

Frankly, I'd really appreciate some input from 'seniors' on this question!!! Why aren't you using that forum? Is it for the reason Magiciansampras says? My hypothesis? Something else?

I just hate to abandon such an enormous and growing demographic without thinking really hard about WHY it has not taken off first. If nothing else it might help the TB have perspective on the next special interest request. @:-)

Last edited by kokonutz; Feb 2, 2009 at 6:02 pm
Old Feb 2, 2009, 6:22 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
My standpoint: We have new forum requests all the time and just recently passed the motion for the European Rail Forum which seems to be well accepted.

Now, in order to let all these new forums develop themselves or at least giving them a chance to do so, I rather take forums away that failed to do just this in the past. Let's keep FT clean and organized !

To add more and more and more mini-fora with little to no traffic makes no sense and doesnt serve FT in any way in the whole picture, and a handful user in total just doesnt justify an own forum IMHO. Every FTer is important to the community but we dont operate private chatrooms or an interactive friday evenings club with 3 members.

So for the sake of giving new proposals a reasonable chance, please folks understand the background of this.

Cheers,
S
Amen! ^ This is exactly how I approach this topic as I have long believed FT is not best served by many forums that attract little traffic.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I believe that most of the topics raised in the Senior Forum could be addressed elsewhere. AARP promos can be addressed in the various hotel forums. Issues related to Swiss Travel can surely be addressed in the Europe Forum. Cruises-- can be addressed in the Cruise Forum, etc. I am not going to review every thread to make my point. I just don't see the value of this dedicated forum.
I believe that the topics raised in the Senior Forum can be well-addressed in other Fora. Therefore, I support the motion to close the Senior Forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.