In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
So I could see these sub-forums:
- European
- Asian
- North American (Amtrak + Canada)
- Rest of the World
This would be an excellent addition to FT.
That works for me too.

Thanks for the suggestion.

What do folks think about adding subways to these threads? Or should we have a separate sub-forum for subways?
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The very few questions about train travel in Aus & NZ are well answered on the Aust NZ Pacific forum. There are very few trains to use anyway compared to Eu - UK.

Similarly for Japan where trains are integral to questions about travel within in Japan, and Japan is a small ccountry. As Jenbel stated above train travel best left to the Japan forum

For USA the Amtrak forum picks up some questions. Other get answered in the state or region sub forums

Eu & UK is different in that trains go cross border and train travel is often a better choice than flying. And the train network is very extensive

Not enough posts on other train travel to have seperate forums for the others.

Only an Eu - UK train forum needed imho

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 13, 2008 at 11:40 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 13, 2008, 5:33 pm

A general Rail forum would be an excellent addition. There is also interest in rail travel in Japan and China. With the savvy travelers in FT, it would be a great addition I would think. I have never found any concise web site to help with rail travel, in Europe or elsewhere.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:26 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Cholula
That works for me too.

Thanks for the suggestion.

What do folks think about adding subways to these threads? Or should we have a separate sub-forum for subways?
I would say subway questions are best left to each destination forum.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by JOUY31
I would say subway questions are best left to each destination forum.
Agree, unless it was Subway the sandwich place Cholula was meaning.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Agreed, I believe a European Rail forum would make a great addition. For it to flourish and without fragmenting discussion on destination forums its scope requires focus, as outlined by chrissxb up thread.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd echo the support for a European Rail forum (and yes, the Uk is part of Europe ). Given that there a a number of Frequent Traveller programmes across Europe (thus meeting the miles and points raison d'etre of FT) it should be a standalone forum along the lines of the other terrestrial transport options like Avis.

Metro questions, and those pertaining to specific other countries should still be covered within the relevant destination forums.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
The TalkBoard is discussing this idea.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Spiff
What is your source for more information about European Rail forums? So I think I am completely agree with you. It would be best time where they are under consideration to create new European Rail Forums. I'll guarantee where you will have continuation to discuss here.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
What is your source for more information about European Rail forums?.
Spiff is a TalkBoard member, as in his profile
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Excellent. ^

So do we non-TalkBoarders now take a step back and wait? Or do we continue expressing our opinions?

Just curious as I'm not as au fait with the creation of new forums as some of you.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajax
Excellent. ^

So do we non-TalkBoarders now take a step back and wait? Or do we continue expressing our opinions?

Just curious as I'm not as au fait with the creation of new forums as some of you.
Please continue to express your opinions. Right now, as Spiff mentioned, I did start a thread to discuss in the TalkBoard forum. But this idea still needs to be developed and the more member feedback, the more we'll be able to gauge the potential forums use & scope.

Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:59 pm

As this actually has to do directly with travel I think it'd make a fine addition to FT, though would like to see it broadly called a rail forum rather than limiting it to only a EU rail forum.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
As this actually has to do directly with travel I think it'd make a fine addition to FT, though would like to see it broadly called a rail forum rather than limiting it to only a EU rail forum.
we already have amtrak ... the specificity about european rail travel is cross border. other rail travel could fit in destination forums, european rail travel doesn't .... and the frequent traveller programs in europe are interesting ... so they should find a home.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by chrissxb
we already have amtrak ... the specificity about european rail travel is cross border. other rail travel could fit in destination forums, european rail travel doesn't .... and the frequent traveller programs in europe are interesting ... so they should find a home.
European rail queries couldn't fit in the Europe destination forum? Why wouldn't that work? Beyond the general Europe forum there are subforums for most of the larger Western European countries should someone want to get more specific with train info for Italy, Germany, France or the UK.

But that having been said I don't think it makes sense to simply add another forum, only on EU rail in this case, without taking the opportunity now to logically organize a rail forum along the lines of others who made suggestions up thread including:

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
So I could see these sub-forums:
- European
- Asian
- North American (Amtrak + Canada)
- Rest of the World

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.