european rail forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

european rail forum

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by airoli
Maybe we could put it under the "Other European Frequent Flyer Programs", renaming that category "Other European Frequent Traveler Programs"?
This would have the problem, that all "other" airlines have their geographical forums - Europe, Asia and Far East, Middle East and Africa, North and South America - but rail does not. So, it might be better to have "Ground Transportation" forum in the Other section, and then see if this needs splitting.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doing a search of "Rail" in the thread title of UK & Ireland forums brings up 2 pages of threads. A lot of those would not belong in Eu rail forum but many would. The UK & Ireland forum has a UK and Ireland Rail FAQ for both domestic & Eurostar

Doing a search of "Rail" in the title of all active threads in all forums brings up 18 pages of threads.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:17 pm

Eurostar FFP(?)

Eurostar have a Frequest Traveller Programme (here)

...And I've just made "Carte Banche" (something like silver with CSA, but no upgrades ), though I'm not sure if/how I'll use that.

I don't know about any other "FFP"'s other railways.

On a more serious note: A place to group information and/or answer questions on European railways could be useful to many. Gosh, I would love to understand the UK system and I live there.

Last edited by dnastudios; Dec 9, 2008 at 2:18 pm Reason: Can't Splee
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:39 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by dnastudios
Eurostar have a Frequest Traveller Programme (here)

...And I've just made "Carte Banche" (something like silver with CSA, but no upgrades ), though I'm not sure if/how I'll use that.
There is only one elite level at Eurostar, which is Carte Blanche. (Carte Classique is the basic level.) It essentially gives you the ground privileges of Business Premier (lounge, fast track security/passport control) plus easier point redemptions on Eurostar. I think you get a less crowded carriage when travelling standard as well.

Originally Posted by dnastudios
I don't know about any other "FFP"'s other railways.
Watch this space, there are loads!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
I think this would be a good idea. Possibly it could be a general rail forum with European and other rail fora (e.g. Amtrak, country-specific rail fora) within it? We could even see UK rail moved off the BMI board to a forum of its own (much as that would be a piece of FT history gone, it might make logical sense!)
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
OK -- so if enough people support this, how do we vote on implementing it?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:07 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by salut0
OK -- so if enough people support this, how do we vote on implementing it?
At some point, one of the nine elected TalkBoard members could make a motion to create the forum or some variation of it. The motion would have to be seconded and then a two week public discussion period would take place in this forum while the TalkBoard voted on the motion.

If 2/3's of the TalkBoard members vote yes, then it passes.

But not all ideas brought up in this TalkBoard Topics forum are motioned and seconded. The best way to improve the odds that this would be voted on would be to encourage as many people as possible to post their views in this thread.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Is OP proposing this forum specically to create a home for the raft of questions fired at him by TDF participants?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
Is OP proposing this forum specically to create a home for the raft of questions fired at him by TDF participants?
no. but I'll be happy to answer these ... St. Malo is best with train
Old Dec 13, 2008, 3:06 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Cholula
But not all ideas brought up in this TalkBoard Topics forum are motioned and seconded. The best way to improve the odds that this would be voted on would be to encourage as many people as possible to post their views in this thread.
I strongly support the creation of a European rail forum.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ajax
I strongly support the creation of a European rail forum.
I think its a great idea for a European Rail forum; I'm currently in Paris (head back tomorrow) and used the Eurostar London-Paris for this trip. A forum like this would have been handy for finding info.

But where do you draw the line? Years ago I went to Japan for grad school, and traveled extensively around Japan, using the bullet trains and other systems (some connected, some different companies, some little more than a glorified subway). Maybe you'd need a 'World-wide' train forum.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by aztimm
Maybe you'd need a 'World-wide' train forum.
Good idea.

Maybe we start out with a general forum title of "Train Travel" and then include sub-forums for "Asian Train Travel", "Continental European Train Travel", "UK/Ireland Train Travel" (as it seems some favor a seperate forum for GB) and "North American Train Travel" which could contain the current Amtrak forum.

I'm not familiar enough with train travel in Australia and New Zealand to know if they should be included? Can anybody weigh-in about this?

Plus I think we may want to add Subway to each Train title as they are generally considered a separate part of the rail system in many countries.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Good idea.

Maybe we start out with a general forum title of "Train Travel" and then include sub-forums for "Asian Train Travel", "Continental European Train Travel", "UK/Ireland Train Travel" (as it seems some favor a seperate forum for GB) and "North American Train Travel" which could contain the current Amtrak forum.

I'm not familiar enough with train travel in Australia and New Zealand to know if they should be included? Can anybody weigh-in about this?

Plus I think we may want to add Subway to each Train title as they are generally considered a separate part of the rail system in many countries.
I don't like that idea.

where would you put eurostar? continental europe or uk? and why include subway? these information can be found in destination forum, paris metro in france forum, ny subway in nyc forum, ...

Originally Posted by aztimm
Maybe you'd need a 'World-wide' train forum.

I'd like a european forum since every european country has different rails (even with frequent traveller programs) and the density is very high. japan is japan, you don't do international travel in japan using railways, do you? but you do it alot in europe!!! japan rail fits perfectly in japan forum.

Last edited by chrissxb; Dec 13, 2008 at 12:15 pm
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up I like it

I think this is an excellent idea. Personally, I don't see the need to separate the UK from European, as the threads should specify the countries involved. (Do you put Eurostar threads in UK or Europe??)

I had the same questions about trains in Japan and found detailed information hard to come by, as most websites were in Japanese. I've also taken trains in China that I could relay information about, and an Asian Rail Travel sub-form would be the logical place for such threads.

I think a 'rest of the world' section would be a nice addition for everything else, and if, over time, a particular region stands out as appropriate for its own sub-forum, that could be addressed at that point.

So I could see these sub-forums:
- European
- Asian
- North American (Amtrak + Canada)
- Rest of the World
This would be an excellent addition to FT.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Last time this came up, the Japanese forum users were pretty adamant that they wanted to retain Japanese train travel within the Japan destination forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.