Reload this Page >

european rail forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

european rail forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2009, 2:24 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by ajax
Any domestic journey query (including metro/subway/Underground questions) will continue to be addressed in the respective country/regional forum.
Well, that is my understanding for metro/subway/underground/s-bahn ... questions. On the other hand, I would expect TGV or ICE issues to be discussed in this European rail forum, as continental Europe travel issues in various countries are closely related (TGV Est trains go to Strasbourg or beyond to Germany, DB trains to Karlsruhe or beyond to Switzerland, ... ). I do understand that, given the geographical location, the level of market liberalization and the resulting complexity for travellers, UK rail travel issues should be kept in the UK & ROI forum, but I would recommend that mainline rain travel in continental Europe be moved to this new forum, rather than remain in each destination forum.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 3:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Madhouse24
I agree with AZ Travels the World and the the forums created as suggested below:

Everything covered in their respective countries...with individual train operators covered in sub-forums. I believe there would be a huge interest in these forums as many would now have a place to go for answers of traveling by rail and the cross-knowledge gained from it....
Emmm, you do know that 'Europe' and "Asia' aren't countries don't you? There are probably a dozen train operators in the UK alone, never mind all the other European operators. Your suggested format doesn't work for Europe. It isn't like North America. It's a lot more diverse. Neatness and order is great, but it cannot be based around using the US as a format for the rest of the world.

Although I do look forward to the day when the North Yorkshire railway get it's own forum on FT
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:17 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Archival link

Link provided for archival purposes. This issue was addressed by motion in this thread.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Wingnut
...a few years ago when FT was quieter and the bmi forum was full of trainspotters
It still is, isn't it
Old Jan 13, 2009, 7:00 pm

Here is an article about the Eurotrain:

http://www.whatisgoingonblog.com/200...igh-speed.html
Old Jan 15, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
It's a great idea, but is this a duplication of effort? I.e. is it being covered better somewhere else?

Austria alone has more trains per day than all of Amtrak.

Bob H
Old Jan 15, 2009, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by BobH
It's a great idea, but is this a duplication of effort? I.e. is it being covered better somewhere else?

Austria alone has more trains per day than all of Amtrak.

Bob H
There's about three threads going on this subject, so I'm not sure if it was addressed in this one, but anyway...no, it's not a duplication of effort, since the main purpose of this new forum is to cover international rail travel within Europe (i.e. Germany to Austria, France to Italy, England to France, etc.). Rail travel wholly within a given country will continue to be discussed where it has before--within that country's destination forum--although some will undoubtedly post those questions in the new forum (something I'm not opposed to).

The Amtrak Guest Rewards forum exists because it is tied to that specific loyalty program and has little to do with the amount of traffic Amtrak sees.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
Rail travel wholly within a given country will continue to be discussed where it has before--within that country's destination forum--although some will undoubtedly post those questions in the new forum (something I'm not opposed to).
No way.

FlyerTalk is already more fragmented and complicated than it needs to be. I've been here 6 years and still don't remember the rules. Let's not make it worse...

Traveling if you're flying within a certain country goes here...
Traveling if you're under a certain mileage program goes here...
Traveling if it's by train in a certain country, goes into a different bucket...
Traveling if it's by train, across different European countries, goes into yet a different place...
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Although I do look forward to the day when the North Yorkshire railway get it's own forum on FT
Living here in Chicago I find it difficult to keep up with North Yorkshire railway. Having a thread on FT would be extremely helpful.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nerd
No way.

FlyerTalk is already more fragmented and complicated than it needs to be. I've been here 6 years and still don't remember the rules. Let's not make it worse...

Traveling if you're flying within a certain country goes here...
Traveling if you're under a certain mileage program goes here...
Traveling if it's by train in a certain country, goes into a different bucket...
Traveling if it's by train, across different European countries, goes into yet a different place...
I'm not saying I agree with what I posted; I was simply responding to BobH's post with the facts of what has already been discussed and enacted by the TB/Randy.

FWIW, I agree with nerd, but it's too late to do it now without the TB creating another motion and vote. The vote has already been passed (as indicated in post 138) and the forum has already been created.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
Living here in Chicago I find it difficult to keep up with North Yorkshire railway. Having a thread on FT would be extremely helpful.
I presume you read with baited breath the trip report from the North Yorkshire Coastliner bus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.