Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal: Allow members to remove their IDs and expunge all associated posts.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal: Allow members to remove their IDs and expunge all associated posts.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bdjohns1

Lots of people made posts in OMNI thinking that they were not going to be publicly viewable (despite people (RP included) bringing up that OMNI used to be an open forum back in the day, it spent a long time closed, and until it re-opened a few months back, we had every indication Randy was going to stick to the 180/180 rule).

Then we got a real kick in the teeth by him further opening OMNI up to Google. Again, as I mentioned over in ORP, people were more open in OMNI because it was a semi-private club. Maybe not quite the sanctity of a confessional, but people let their hair down a little when they're pretty sure the general public can't just wander by.
A "semi-private club" which had what 50,000 members. .. 99.999999% you did not know from Adam?

And may well have included your boss, your parole officer, your ex-wife, ex-husband and several dozen axe-murderers etc.

THEY were all cool having access in your mind ?????????????????????

Assuming bdjohns is your real name - are you SERIOUSLY trying to tell me you, being clearly identifiable, would have EVER posted here your boss was a regular thief, or your ex-husband was a pedophile, or your neighbor was a heroin addict, and ASSUMED no-one you or they knew would see it or hear of it .. except those 50,000 bosom buddies that is?????

I saw no whines and grumbles back then.

You folks break me up.

And most of you WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY overestimate the power of google to somehow go find that Bill Smith, known only to himself on FT as Flyer3056434 posted in 2005 that his workmate George sexually molests his poodle.

That just does NOT happen.

I own a large BB and trust me, long dead BB threads are NOT what the google spiders index anyway.

Get over it.

OMNI being googleable is good for IB.

It makes them money.

End of story.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 9:17 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by ozstamps
<snip>
Nice straw man - right up the same alley as "when did you stop beating your wife?" This is the second time in the past few months you've gone off on a half-cocked rant at me. Last time, it was because you weren't familiar with the fact that Excel worksheets have tabs.

It doesn't matter whether OMNI had 50,000 eligible posters or 500 (although I'll bet if you could run a dump of all of the OMNI posts in the 2003-2008 timeframe, >80% of the posts come from <20% of the eligible posters, even if you leave out the counting threads). Pareto was a smart guy. (oh, and by the way, the correct number is more like 10,000 eligible, per Randy himself)

Argue all you want about hypothetical axe murderers, bosses on the take, and child molesters. They're all straw men. The point here is that people shared information on OMNI because they perceived it wasn't out there for the general public (ie Googleable). Randy (in words and actions) indicated that OMNI wasn't going to be public, as in this example, where he moved a thread to OMNI to "shield" users earlier in 2008. I don't have a problem with OMNI being opened to all registered FTers. I do have a problem with the rules being changed in the middle of the game. Randy has argued that other websites' OMNI-equivalent is open to the public. That's true, but I doubt they were previously behind a velvet rope.

Oh, and bdjohns1 isn't far off - it's the mishmash of initials and part of my name that became my email address at college a while back. The good news is that my name is pretty common. I share it with a Western movie star from decades ago, a Canadian sprinter who forfeited an Olympic gold medal in 1988 for steroid use, and a few others.

I just googled my username and the name of my employer. Google indexed a 2006 thread in OMNI, among a few others. Not a big deal - I didn't say anything embarrassing. However, other people may have said things they might not have said had OMNI been wide open to Google - you never know when some yahoo's going to go off and play internet detective. Your ranting aside, if Randy's going to change the rules in the middle of the game, the decent thing to do would be to allow people an escape hatch.

People have been affected by this. I just did a search for a particular humorous OMNI story. It doesn't exist, and I know why - because there was some good-natured joking in that thread that would have impugned the OP's character had it been seen by people not "in" on the joke. That thread probably wouldn't have existed in the first place had OMNI been open to Google. The OP would probably be happy if the entire subsequent thread went away.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
bdjohns1 speaks for me WRT this matter on his posts both in this forum & in the ORP forum re: Omni being opened up w/ no notice & available to google. He's more eloquent than I am, & more up on how the technology works and/or privacy policies of the other websites that are being mentioned.

My take, as mentioned previously - before Omni was opened, was that Randy should have done a survery prior to request input - but even if he chose not to (as happened), should have given notice to Omni-ites (and that's one of the big complaints, no notice - ie, rules changed in the middle) so that if they chose to go back & delete their posts prior to the opening they could do so. He didn't, and to me that betrayed the trust FTers had in him. I happen to like Randy a lot, but on this one IMO he dropped the ball big time & just goes 'round & 'round in trying to justify his decision, even when others have pointed out the fallacies in his reasoning.

Back to the purpose of this thread - I think that, if it is indeed a simple programming measure, that FTers should be allowed to purge their Omni posts en masse vs doing it 1-by-1, which some are gruelingly go through. I'm not deleting my posts since I figure Google cache has them already. But then again I'm not really visiting Omni much anymore either, whether it's Omni-Fluff or Omni-PR.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Dec 13, 2008 at 5:47 pm
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:30 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted

Last edited by LLM; Dec 16, 2008 at 11:12 pm
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like this idea. If it passes I will probably be one of the first people to utilize this feature.

Why do I like this idea when I stand by every single post I write, even the ones in OMNI?

Well, in Aug 2003 I picked a username without thinking it through very well. As it was explained to me by one of the admins when I had inquired about this, I have a one time option to change my username. However, the post count would be reset to zero, the join date would be reset and the existing posts would remain with the other name.

I am still interested in changing my username, but not if my previous posts remain with the old handle. Why? I stand by everything I have ever said and am not willing to disassociate my words from who I am. (Actually, if I could just change my username and have it update all of the associated posts that would be an ideal solution for me, but barring that being able to purge everything and starting over is the best solution I've seen yet.)

Words take on a life of their own once they have been spoken. It may not be possible to put the genie back into the bottle, but it is sure is possible to attempt to minimize the damage that is caused when he is released.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by LLM
Well, I've about had it trying to review and if necessary edit these suddenly Google-ized posts. The IB software is miserably slow and I've been trying for 15 minutes just to move from page 255 to 254. At this rate it will take me two months full time, something IB could do in five minutes. I certainly wouldn't have time to post any travel info on FT even if I still had any interest.

Thanks again, Flyertalk, for the holiday gift that keeps on taking, taking, taking time and seven years of good will.
I wonder how much an off-shore subcontractor might charge to remove a member's entire library of posts. That should take the pain out of the process.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:07 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
I wonder how much an off-shore subcontractor might charge to remove a member's entire library of posts. That should take the pain out of the process.
You are brilliant! I know just the whiz to outsource this to and favors are due .
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:26 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by bdjohns1
I support this. There's certainly technical issues to be worked through, but I agree with what birdstrike is trying to accomplish. At the very least, we should be able to purge OMNI posts, since as wharvey noted, that's one of the major drivers of discontent around here. Since it's a cesspool anyhow ( ), disconnected threads shouldn't be the end of the world.

The larger issue is that our host has let things get to a state where people not only want to leave the community, but that they want to erase themselves from FT existence. Can the TB fix it themselves? Doubtful...but we need to consider what the guiding reason behind this proposal is. While TB can't fix the root cause, they have more influence than Joe the User with our host.
I havent been on the forum for a while now... But I am wondering why people want to LEAVE FT?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 7:53 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You may want to ask the technical staff again. I do not believe this is now the case.

I just checked on a member who changed their handle within the past month... and all their posts are under their new handle.

William

Originally Posted by wr_schwab
I like this idea. If it passes I will probably be one of the first people to utilize this feature.

Why do I like this idea when I stand by every single post I write, even the ones in OMNI?

Well, in Aug 2003 I picked a username without thinking it through very well. As it was explained to me by one of the admins when I had inquired about this, I have a one time option to change my username. However, the post count would be reset to zero, the join date would be reset and the existing posts would remain with the other name.

I am still interested in changing my username, but not if my previous posts remain with the old handle. Why? I stand by everything I have ever said and am not willing to disassociate my words from who I am. (Actually, if I could just change my username and have it update all of the associated posts that would be an ideal solution for me, but barring that being able to purge everything and starting over is the best solution I've seen yet.)

Words take on a life of their own once they have been spoken. It may not be possible to put the genie back into the bottle, but it is sure is possible to attempt to minimize the damage that is caused when he is released.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by wr_schwab
A poster just did this. You should PM itsaboutthejourney.

I did the same on another board hosted by the same software. Everything remained the same and all my old posts were associated with my new handle. My old handle was my full name and it was just too much exposure for me even though all the regulars "know" me.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by ozstamps
OMNI being googleable is good for IB.

It makes them money.
At least you're honest.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
If asked before I got my new job, I would happily worked to remove posts for a fee. (Only because I needed the Money)

That said, I still think this is a bad idea. If someone made the posts, they should live with what they posted. (Kinda makes you think before hitting enter, doesn't it?)
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:28 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by mikey1003
If asked before I got my new job, I would happily worked to remove posts for a fee. (Only because I needed the Money)

That said, I still think this is a bad idea. If someone made the posts, they should live with what they posted. (Kinda makes you think before hitting enter, doesn't it?)
As a general rule, I'd agree with you. I went through my recent OMNI post history, and there's not too much I wanted to delete. That said, I know a few posters have entire threads they'd like to see disappear. People used to let their hair down in OMNI. I haven't seen quite as much of that in the past few months.

As I noted above, even as recently as Q1 2008, Randy himself moved threads to OMNI to "hide them".

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Note: While this is travel related, my guess it might become too hilarious in TSS forum and perhaps we don't need for humor to be viewed as truth. So OMNI it is to protect members from undo scrutiny.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 3:48 pm
Suspended

sounds to me like a part in an old movie, when after scaring the people the curtain is opened by Toto and the Great and Powerful OZ isnt so Great and Powerful

1 should NEVER post anything they dont want to be Public, rule #1 -1,000,000 of the Internet

I think everything should stay as is. Why do I have the feeling that those who want to Delete what they wrote would never say the same if Bush was quoted although it wasnt suppose to be a Public statement.

As for OMNI I still wish it would be COMPLETELY deleted, there are plenty of other Boards where everyone can air their Nonsense.........
Old Dec 28, 2008, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Look folks, It's simple.

No one is going to force anyone to delete their posts.

Not everyone (perhaps not even anyone) who wants to delete their posts regrets what they wrote or does nor want to "stand by" their words.

If you don't get this, fine. A sizable group of FlyerTalkers (in sum total of post count), DO have clear and fundamental reasons for wanting to expunge their OMNI and/or FlyerTalk presence. This has already been intelligibly expressed.

In the early days of OMNI becoming indexed by the search engines, I may have sent Randy and others conflicting messages, perhaps because I was actually conflicted and surprised. I have not been conflicted for quite some time now. My heart and mind are clear.

I want to make it perfectly clear that I think it should be a feature of FlyerTalk to allow members to remove their corpus of posts en mass. I intend to do so and indeed, have already removed a few manually. Nothing about my request involves giving members something that they don't have today - All I'm asking for is for the process to be automated.

I do not intend to continue to participate in Flyertalk other than to pursue this agenda until a resolution is reached. That is how strongly I feel about this.

The fact that I am not alone in my reaction should make implementation of this feature (or use of what we now know to be an existing capability) a matter of simple courtesy to those FlyerTalkers who request it.

Rather than ask why someone wants to expunge their posts, turn the question around and ask "why not?".

The search issue has gone unresolved for so long that I think we can assume that it has tacit approval of FlyerTalk management.

The right thing to do is to allow members to opt-out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.