Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal: Allow members to remove their IDs and expunge all associated posts.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal: Allow members to remove their IDs and expunge all associated posts.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:56 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the concern is limited to Omni, why not just flush all of Omni every few years instead or sunset posts after a year?

The few long running games could easily be restarted, and I bet the rest wouldn't be missed, whereas some travel/miles info is of use many years later.

View it as a way to reduce earth's vanishing supply of archive drives.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:47 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LLM
Well, I am deleting all of mine, a long and tedious job, and a waste of what are either pithy and well-researched info or derangement depending on one's POV.
It's feelings like this that I completely understand, but that make me sad. I am one who found LLM's posts "pithy and well-researched". I hate to see those go and to lose LLM as a poster.

birdstrike has also been among my favorite Omni posters (well, and just plain old favorite people) and it is sad to see him go as well.

Omni is open to all now, but certainly at the expensive of quality, thought-provoking posts.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
If implemented, the member should have the option to purge posts by forum- for example, deleting all OMNI posts while leaving posts in an airline forum.
CONCUR
Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by l'etoile
It's feelings like this that I completely understand, but that make me sad. I am one who found LLM's posts "pithy and well-researched". I hate to see those go and to lose LLM as a poster.

birdstrike has also been among my favorite Omni posters (well, and just plain old favorite people) and it is sad to see him go as well.

Omni is open to all now, but certainly at the expensive of quality, thought-provoking posts.
Agree 100%.

I already miss some of the old regulars and their insights and opinions.

Now all that's being posted is fluff.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If the concern is limited to Omni, why not just flush all of Omni every few years instead or sunset posts after a year?
Will those with 10,000, 20,000, or 30,000 posts in number counting games see their post count decrease under this scenario, or those whose home forum, and majority of posts, have come from OMNI in prior years when they counted? Curious what those folks would think about this proposal. Would they want to see their post count drop by thousands? I know some here have 85% or more of their posts in OMNI so they would take a serious hit, so their opinion should be considered before all prior OMNI threads get purged.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Post counts are meaningless and if my Omni counts disappeared I probably wouldn't notice, or care if I did notice.

As they might say in NYC - post counts and a token will get you a ride on the subway
Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:03 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Agree 100%.

I already miss some of the old regulars and their insights and opinions.
I am still there Mary.... just not as much....
Old Dec 7, 2008, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by underpressure
There are a number of OMNI posters who realized the silly things they have posted are actually attributable to them as real people. There has been a scramble for name changes and post removals.

That is my beef.... if people are not accountable for their words, the silly season will continue.
I don't think it's an issue of accountability. It's an issue of having different conversations in different contexts. I'm sure some things you say in a family gathering are things you wouldn't say in a bar; and some things you say in a bar you wouldn't want your family to hear. Some things you say around the water cooler you wouldn't say in a business meeting, even with the same group of people.

So this is like a case where you discover that everything you said in a bar, or on a hunting trip with some friends, was recorded and posted on youtube.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by birdstrike
I haven't heard one poster say they did not claim responsibility for their words.

Two reasons for the change:

1) The viewership changed. If the playing field changes, the rules should change as well.

2) If other public fora allow it, why should FlyerTalk not? I see it as a matter of common courtesy.

(bold mine) and after all wasnt that the reason randy gave us for opening it up and for bringing back ratings, everyone else is doing it so FT should.......
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by underpressure
That is my beef.... if people are not accountable for their words, the silly season will continue.
What accountability? The "silly"/non-silly season will continue regardless.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
.... because posts in there include useful information even if -- or because it is -- dated.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I'm a noob, and I'm afraid to step in here , but I'm wondering if you can name a few of these enlightened forums please? I haven't seen any that allow it.

I think it is a great idea, and have seen requests at many other sites for this functionality.
I was thinking of fora like FaceBook, Plaxo, and LinkedIn. You are correct that vBulletin driven affinity groups don't typically offer this option.

Plaxo and LinkedIn simply warn you that you are about to delete everything and then let you do it. I don't know about the mechanics for FaceBook.

So far, the response seems to be in favor of implementing this feature.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
birdstrike

Rather than beat this absurd "everyone can now access OMNI, booo, hoo, hoo," horse even more to death (if that is possible) can I make a suggestion?

As you will surely realise - this has nothing WHATEVER to do with Talkboard.

Why not email Randy and request he deletes you as a user and deletes all your posts.

On the Admin control panel this is a 10 second process.

Then ask him for permission to re-join with a different handle.

I'd suspect he will decline on both counts, but that's his call, and his only.

It is between you and him ... no-one else.@:-)

No-one in their right mind has ever posted ANYTHING to FT that they do not want 50,000 folks to have access to. Nature of the BB beast.

And that of course was ALREADY the case when OMNI was partially blocked.

Unless you and the others still whining about it all were close personal friends with all those 50,000 of whatever members with full access, you should NOT have posted anything you did not want those existing 50,000 to read.

The TOS clearly says FT owns your post. And has said that for MANY years. Anyone who ignored that clear piece of advice did so at this own risk I'd say. @:-)

Removing any one member's post and wrecking the flow of possibly 1000s of threads is a ridiculous and totally unworkable suggestion. IMHO.

Glen
Old Dec 10, 2008, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Rather than beat this absurd "everyone can now access OMNI, booo, hoo, hoo," horse even more to death (if that is possible) can I make a suggestion?

As you will surely realise - this has nothing WHATEVER to do with Talkboard.
I thought Talkboard was here to debate together, collect outside input, and make suggestions to Randy on the continued evolution of FlyerTalk?

That role may be over now, but I'm simply continuing the traditional forms.

Why not email Randy and request he deletes you as a user and deletes all your posts.

On the Admin control panel this is a 10 second process.
Thank you for confirming it is an existing function in the software.

Then ask him for permission to re-join with a different handle.

I'd suspect he will decline on both counts, but that's his call, and his only.

It is between you and him ... no-one else.@:-)
I have had a bit of a private chat with Randy. He was quite civil, probably more than my outrage deserved. I appreciate his response (it might have surprised you), though he ball is back in his court at the moment.

As far as it being between Randy and myself, that is preposterous. More people than myself are concerned. FlyerTalk is owned by IB, and TalkBoard is still our citizens advisory committee. Randy still appears to hold the ultimate power here, but until he accedes to my request, denies my request, or bans me, there is still room for dialog.

No-one in their right mind has ever posted ANYTHING to FT that they do not want 50,000 folks to have access to. Nature of the BB beast.

And that of course was ALREADY the case when OMNI was partially blocked.

Unless you and the others still whining about it all were close personal friends with all those 50,000 of whatever members with full access, you should NOT have posted anything you did not want those existing 50,000 to read.
You are correct as far as you go. If it were simply my 50,000 closest friends, I wouldn't have a problem. There is a difference between FlyerTalk and Google.

The TOS clearly says FT owns your post. And has said that for MANY years. Anyone who ignored that clear piece of advice did so at this own risk I'd say. @:-)
A TOS is not a static document. That is one reason I chose to post here

Removing any one member's post and wrecking the flow of possibly 1000s of threads is a ridiculous and totally unworkable suggestion. IMHO.
No, it isn't unworkable. Members can delete their own posts one at a time. From a practical, per-thread, point of view it makes a barely discernible difference in the flow. From a global perspective, a few thousand posts buried within ten million posts over ten years is, to all intents and purposes, invisible.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I think that this is a very bad idea.

Knowing that I can expunge posts and nic takes away any accountability that might be needed. I can post anything, good or bad, knowing that I can delete my nic and expunge that post.

Members need to think about what their posts can do "UP FRONT" This way we stay honest and accountable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.