Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Motion

I'd like to ask TB to consider this motion...

When a member decides to rescind their motion, I'm suggesting that TB set up a procedure for allowing this recision (midstream) in the process.

I'm sure that somewhere down the road, this situation will come up (again).

Why waste the time if a member feels their motion isn't important, or, they have changed their minds.

Last edited by dhammer53; Aug 16, 2008 at 6:25 am Reason: thanks to ozstamps for the lesson
Old Aug 10, 2008, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
You can't rescind a TB motion you never made. While individual FTers can make requests, only TB members can initiate and second motions and, as I understand it, once that has been done and voting opens the motion cannot be withdrawn or otherwise vacated but merely voted down if the majority of TB disagree with it as presented regardless of how the original FTer feels about their original request. It's not a perfect system but it does work.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

tcook,

I'm suggesting this as a preventative measure for the future.

dh
Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:51 pm

It would still require the TB member to rescind the motion, not the person who made the request that the TB is acting upon.

That being said, I actually do not think it makes sense to have motions pulled off the table once they are opened to voting. At that point if enough people think it is a bad idea they can vote no or abstain.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
TalkBoard members, former members and interested lay members - has such a rescission ever happened after a motion was seconded / opened to voting?

I suppose once a motion is open to voting, the voting takes place regardless of who supports or opposes the motion... though I know TB is just an advisory board, so this process can probably be canned by executive order.

Isn't this the point? TB is merely an advisory board to the owner/chief of FT.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:44 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by sbm12
It would still require the TB member to rescind the motion, not the person who made the request that the TB is acting upon.

That being said, I actually do not think it makes sense to have motions pulled off the table once they are opened to voting. At that point if enough people think it is a bad idea they can vote no or abstain.
Maybe.

One issue that has come up more than once is where the vote has been posted in the public forum after several Talkboard members have already voted, and only then does some information come to light that may have influenced several votes and affected the outcome. Because of the rules on numbers required to pass votes (and also reversing votes), it is possible under current TB rules/policies that a vote which may never have been passed had the information come to light cannot be reversed.

A second issue is that some motions to vote have been poorly worded. More than once the person who made the initial request has sought to amend the wording, or withdraw the vote once it has been started. Currently, neither can be done.

I don't think this particular motion is the only way to resolve these 2 issues, and may even not be the best way.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 4:21 am

Programs: QC/Qff Gold Starwood SS/venetian HHon's Accorgold AmexPlat
Interesting!

Perhaps the process of an "AMENDMENT" would deal with motions on the table for deliberation.

I know that many motions can be improved in hindsight, especially with the vast contributions of the broad membership base.

A good thing can always be made better and a bad thing should always be corrected.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I'd like to ask TB to consider this motion...

When a member decides to recind their motion, I'm suggesting that TB set up a procedure for allowing this recision (midstream) in the process.

Is recind a new American attempt to re-write proper English for rescind?
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:41 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by BiziBB
TalkBoard members, former members and interested lay members - has such a rescission ever happened after a motion was seconded / opened to voting?

I can remember only one case -- and that required Randy's intercession.

I don't agree with this suggestion. Let's say that I (if I were still on TB) have a particularly bad idea in mind and I make it as a motion. Let's go a step further and say that Koko seconds it only because he feels that any motion should be voted on. It soon becomes obvious that I am the only member who will vote for it.

Why should I be covered up for by TB? Isn't it better to let all of FT see the kind of thing that I favored?
Old Aug 16, 2008, 5:13 am

It seems to me that this request stems from jan_az withdrawing her request to post a charitable appeal - but TB continuing with the approval process.

Common sense surely says that once a request for approval no longer exists then it's all a bit of a waste of time considering it. If I tell my boss I want a months holiday over Christmas and she agrees, but notes she'll need to speak to her boss to OK it, and then I withdraw my request - is it really going to be on the agenda next time she meets her boss?

Simple suggestions:

If the proposer and the seconder of a motion want to withdraw it before voting is complete - let them and just drop the issue. If two other mambers want to bring the motion again then they can.

If someone requests permission to make a charitable appeal and drops their request before the permission mas been granted (i.e. voting being complete on the motion in question) then simply abandon the approval process.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Is recind a new American attempt to re-write proper English for rescind?
No more posting for me until I have that 2nd cup of coffee.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 7:14 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Is "Is recind a new American attempt to re-write proper English for rescind?" a new Australian attempt to re-write the proper English for "Is recind a new American attempt to re-write the proper English for rescind?!"?

Third coffee?
Old Aug 16, 2008, 9:11 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
FWIW, the TB is working diligently (and has been since the Freddies) on a new set of TB guidelines and operating procedures.

Speaking only for myself and only revealing my own words, I am hopeful the new TB process will be more flexible, clearer, more transparent and allow for more TB member AND poster input than the current process.

We (and hopefully you) will soon see...
Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I'd prefer a position where 300 members of at least twelve months standing could over turn a decision of TalkBoard. But I imagine that is never going to happen!
Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Markie
I'd prefer a position where 300 members of at least twelve months standing could over turn a decision of TalkBoard. But I imagine that is never going to happen!
And how many members of at least 12 months standing would be needed to overturn the decision of those 300?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.