Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Complete - Motion Passed: Permit Test of Photos in 4 Forums

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jenbel
As Cholula said, we did have some issues in Cbuzz.

I would certainly keep images out of Omni, based on what we had to clean up in an Omni type thread in Community.

Our most complaints came when people posted moving images - animated smilies generally. Lots of members didn't like. Given they don't add much to FT, it may be useful to look at prohibiting them. but helpful that it was identified in the trial.

Other dodgy images included NSFW and overly large images. We had an announcement asking people to consider others when posting images,so that was not 100% effective
I am fully in support of preventing the inclusion of GIF files in the scheme should it become a permanent part of FlyerTalk. That should address the animated image issues.

As far as large images, we've had a bit of trouble with that in the Travel Photography forum over the past few months, but I have had no problems PM'ing members to change the embedded image or just removing it if they are not cooperative. Yes, it is a quieter forum so it is relatively easy for me to do, but I haven't had a repeat "offender" yet, so that is somewhat comforting.

Yeah, that AMS thread had issues, but I think that was in large part due to the way it was presented to the FT community. Have there been issues other than in that thread? It might be a good reason to exclude OMNI & OMNI/PR from the image-enabled benefit, but I don't think the other fora would suffer.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I love the ability to add photos, but I post less frequently in those threads now due to the cumbersome loading of pages and have unsubscribed myself from them completely as of a few weeks ago. I would be incredibly happy if there was an official posting size limit.

What's that saying? Oh, yeah. @:-) Bigger isn't always better.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 3:13 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
This is why we have moderators, no?

I thought the test was a huge success and I wish FT would open up images site-wide.
As a test, it would be a pretty worthless exercise if we didn't look at both negative and positive aspects of it. Or did you expect it just to be a rubber-stamp exercise?

As a mod in one of the test forums I made a commitment to report back on the results of the test and what my/our experiences were.

It's a shame that you don't like what I have to say. But frankly, I could care less what you think - the test was run in a forum I moderate, and I had a duty to report back on the issues the test raised. I've now done that. I understand that you may think that everything with images is peachy, but that head in the sand attitude is not necessarily a true reflection of the situation. The problems raised were pretty minor, but still need some consideration IMHO.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
As a test, it would be a pretty worthless exercise if we didn't look at both negative and positive aspects of it. Or did you expect it just to be a rubber-stamp exercise?

As a mod in one of the test forums I made a commitment to report back on the results of the test and what my/our experiences were.

It's a shame that you don't like what I have to say. But frankly, I could care less what you think - the test was run in a forum I moderate, and I had a duty to report back on the issues the test raised. I've now done that. I understand that you may think that everything with images is peachy, but that head in the sand attitude is not necessarily a true reflection of the situation. The problems raised were pretty minor, but still need some consideration IMHO.
Simmer down there bud. I'm simply saying that if people post inappropriate materials, the moderator's job is to deal with it. Inappropriate material may be image-based or text-based. No need to get all uppity on me.

It is telling, by the way, that the only complaint you mentioned came from the silly contest thread that Randy started. I don't think that's a very good representation of normal FT operations as under any other context people doing what they did in that thread would have been suspended/banned.

Unleash images on all of FT, baby!
Old Dec 3, 2008, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
As Cholula said, we did have some issues in Cbuzz.

I would certainly keep images out of Omni, based on what we had to clean up in an Omni type thread in Community.

Our most complaints came when people posted moving images - animated smilies generally. Lots of members didn't like. Given they don't add much to FT, it may be useful to look at prohibiting them. but helpful that it was identified in the trial.

Other dodgy images included NSFW and overly large images. We had an announcement asking people to consider others when posting images,so that was not 100% effective
Thanks for the experience report Jenbel !

I think that the ability to post photos can be a valuable thing in the maintream forums.

If there are no interferences with the technical support, that will be a nice feature.

The Moderators still reserve the right to delete inappropriate pictures that violate TOS.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

This is a total no brainer for the techies.

I own a board that has about 100,000 images on it. Most large.

Some were too large which IS annoying, so I got our techie to create a simple modification that "chokes" anything down to 850 pixels max - all done by the software. Took him 15 minutes.

Simple .. no more problems for any Moderators there in any forum, as the image displays as max 850 .. i.e. about the FT suggested maximum size.

Having 100,000 images there slows nothing down they I can see as they are nearly all hosted on external sites.

Glen
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
In the Starwood forum, a number of members have added photos to their reports. The ability to use images has been used appropriately and given us a better understanding of the hotel and rooms under discussion.
I concur. In the SPG forum, it has added considerable value, with no problems reported. Members have embraced it and used it appropriately.

This is an excellent enhancement to a hotel forum. I trust it will remain a feature going forward.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:24 am
Community Director Emerita

Can we please have an update as to whether discussion is occurring on expanding this capability to other forums? At a minimum, I'd like to see it in all the hotel forums. Here is an example from yesterday of a member who has effectively used them to let us experience the W Istanbul.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:30 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Can we please have an update as to whether discussion is occurring on expanding this capability to other forums? At a minimum, I'd like to see it in all the hotel forums. Here is an example from yesterday of a member who has effectively used them to let us experience the W Istanbul.
I concur with the hotel forums (perhaps all the "core" forums). I wouldn't want it in GLBT though - too much temptation for "naughty" pictures.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by peteropny
I concur with the hotel forums (perhaps all the "core" forums).
Would also be helpful in Travel Products. It's a lot easier to see the latest TSA-compliant laptop bag than to read a description.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if no one else has suggested, Travel Technology would be an appropriate forum that would benefit from pictures.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I made a motion over the weekend that non-animated graphics be allowed in all FT forums except for OMNI and OMNI/PR.

I think the test went very well and I trust that the various forum mods can control the graphics in their forums as well as they do the verbiage in the posts.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cholula
I made a motion over the weekend that non-animated graphics be allowed in all FT forums except for OMNI and OMNI/PR.

I think the test went very well and I trust that the various forum mods can control the graphics in their forums as well as they do the verbiage in the posts.
That's great. Thanks, Cholula. I also agree with not allowing photographs in OMNI and OMNI/PR. I can just imagine what those forums would wind up looking like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.