Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Complete - Motion Passed: Permit Test of Photos in 4 Forums

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2008, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Not every one logs in every time, especially not at public computers. I don't mind linking to pictures one bit. Overall, I'm just underwhelmed about pictures in FT.
I log in at public computers. I don't click the check box to "remember me." Not hard to do.

We shouldn't be catering to those who don't log in. Or those with 56K lines. Or any other very small minority of users.
Old May 25, 2008, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
FT is already painfully slow. How will pictures impact performance of the site ?
Old May 25, 2008, 6:29 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by Rambuster
FT is already painfully slow. How will pictures impact performance of the site ?
Most reports are that photos will not impact the site performance. Most photos will not be hosted on FT, so no additional FT server processing is required. However, your page loading speed may be slower due to the performance at whatever site is hosting the pictures.

If you don't want to endure the slower load time for in-thread photos, you can just not enable the "view in-thread photos" option. A link will appear in the post if you want to click through to one or two of the photos (as you do now in all forums except Trip Reports and Travel Photography).
Old May 25, 2008, 7:07 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by scoow
If you don't want to endure the slower load time for in-thread photos, you can just not enable the "view in-thread photos" option. A link will appear in the post if you want to click through to one or two of the photos (as you do now in all forums except Trip Reports and Travel Photography).
Agreed and that's the part that everybody opposed seems to be missing.

Here's what appears when you go to MyFlyerTalk Settings and Options: Edit Options:
Visible Post Elements
You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.

Show Signatures
Show Avatars
Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)
There's a checkbox in front of each item above. Uncheck "Show Images" and, voila, they're gone forever. You only have to do this once and your problems are solved.

Yeah you have to be logged into FT for this to kick in but, as was said earlier, I think we should be catering to those logged in and registered to FT rather than those who are not.
Old May 25, 2008, 7:27 am

Programs: WN, Marriott, Choice
At this time, there are many threads with links to photobucket and other image hosting sites. This seems to be working quite well. As to allowing photos in-thread, I'd have to agree with those who mentioned thumbnails that link to off-site hosting.

I agree with the opt-in concept.

Photos should also be available only to members, as opposed to guests. A benefit of membership, so to speak. Similar to CC and OMNI, a member would not be allowed to post photos in most fora, notably excepted; Travel Photography, until sufficient time/post count has been reached. For those who have yet to reach the threshhold, an embedded link, without graphics, to an off-site host would be permitted. This is currently the case.

Photos should be forum-specific. Would the Mods have the ability to delete an inappropriate photo while keeping the rest of the post intact?
Old May 25, 2008, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Jeffie
Photos should also be available only to members, as opposed to guests. A benefit of membership, so to speak. Similar to CC and OMNI, a member would not be allowed to post photos in most fora, notably excepted; Travel Photography, until sufficient time/post count has been reached. For those who have yet to reach the threshhold, an embedded link, without graphics, to an off-site host would be permitted. This is currently the case.
Good ideas! Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally Posted by Jeffie
Would the Mods have the ability to delete an inappropriate photo while keeping the rest of the post intact?
Yes, much as they do with an inappropriate words. They can excise a specific photo or word rather than deleting the whole post.
Old May 25, 2008, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I vote yes, but I cringe at what the "Food that's disgusting no matter how you look at it" thread will turn into.

Old May 31, 2008, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Motion Passed.

On 31 May 2008, the TalkBoard unanimously passed:

Moved by Spiff and seconded by Jenbel:

"that the TalkBoard recommends expanding graphics capabilities to the following four forums: CommunityBuzz! , Flying Blue (and subforums), Starwood and Luxury Hotels. Graphics added to posts must respect the FlyerTalk TOS. If no serious problems arise after a three month trial, the TalkBoard may recommend that graphics may be added to other forums."
Old May 31, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Some Suggestions

Originally Posted by Spiff
On 31 May 2008, the TalkBoard unanimously passed:

Moved by Spiff and seconded by Jenbel:

"that the TalkBoard recommends expanding graphics capabilities to the following four forums: CommunityBuzz! , Flying Blue (and subforums), Starwood and Luxury Hotels. Graphics added to posts must respect the FlyerTalk TOS. If no serious problems arise after a three month trial, the TalkBoard may recommend that graphics may be added to other forums."
In order to get more comprehensive feedback from the 4 chosen test fora, I have a couple of suggestions:

1. A "universal" 3-month trial announcement in those 4 fora since I assume not everyone visiting those fora frequent TB Forum.

2. Establish forum-specific feeback thread (maybe as a temp stickie?) in each selected forum so the forum mods can easily assist and monitor the test progress & assuming some fora may have some unique usage or input for graphics.

3. Establish a general feedback or discussion thread here at TB Forum so TB can gather input more effectively.

IIRC, TB decided not to impose spec on the photos. If we have some technical guideline (non-TOS related), maybe we can make it clear in the forum announcement. I asssume some less tech-savvy FTers may want to give it a try but don't know where or how to start. Graphic "newbies" may cause more problems and burden to the mods without proper guidance. I know our Travel Photography Forum has wonderful stickies for starters. Cross reference to the resources may be helpful to this trial project.
Old May 31, 2008, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lin821
In order to get more comprehensive feedback from the 4 chosen test fora, I have a couple of suggestions:

1. A "universal" 3-month trial announcement in those 4 fora since I assume not everyone visiting those fora frequent TB Forum.

2. Establish forum-specific feeback thread (maybe as a temp stickie?) in each selected forum so the forum mods can easily assist and monitor the test progress & assuming some fora may have some unique usage or input for graphics.

3. Establish a general feedback or discussion thread here at TB Forum so TB can gather input more effectively.

IIRC, TB decided not to impose spec on the photos. If we have some technical guideline (non-TOS related), maybe we can make it clear in the forum announcement. I asssume some less tech-savvy FTers may want to give it a try but don't know where or how to start. Graphic "newbies" may cause more problems and burden to the mods without proper guidance. I know our Travel Photography Forum has wonderful stickies for starters. Cross reference to the resources may be helpful to this trial project.

Great suggestions! ^^
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

Does anyone know when the 3 month trial period started? I know it was delayed for some months after the motion was passed, awaiting some changes by IB.

In the Starwood forum, a number of members have added photos to their reports. The ability to use images has been used appropriately and given us a better understanding of the hotel and rooms under discussion.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:03 pm

We put up a general announcement in CommunityBuzz! on October 7th so it's been nearly 60 days.

And we've had no issues except for a few questionable images in that AMS contest thread that had a gazillion posts.

Overall I'm pleased with the test thus far.

Last edited by Cholula; Dec 1, 2008 at 9:09 pm
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:41 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Cholula
We put up a general announcement in CommunityBuzz! on October 7th so it's been nearly 60 days.

And we've had no issues except for a few questionable images in that AMS contest thread that had a gazillion posts.

Overall I'm pleased with the test thus far.
I've posted several photos in Starwood and Luxury Hotels and have received very postive feedback for my efforts.

I see no reason not to expand the use of photos....
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
As Cholula said, we did have some issues in Cbuzz.

I would certainly keep images out of Omni, based on what we had to clean up in an Omni type thread in Community.

Our most complaints came when people posted moving images - animated smilies generally. Lots of members didn't like. Given they don't add much to FT, it may be useful to look at prohibiting them. but helpful that it was identified in the trial.

Other dodgy images included NSFW and overly large images. We had an announcement asking people to consider others when posting images,so that was not 100% effective
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Jenbel
As Cholula said, we did have some issues in Cbuzz.

I would certainly keep images out of Omni, based on what we had to clean up in an Omni type thread in Community.

Our most complaints came when people posted moving images - animated smilies generally. Lots of members didn't like. Given they don't add much to FT, it may be useful to look at prohibiting them. but helpful that it was identified in the trial.

Other dodgy images included NSFW and overly large images. We had an announcement asking people to consider others when posting images,so that was not 100% effective
This is why we have moderators, no?

I thought the test was a huge success and I wish FT would open up images site-wide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.