Comments Welcome: Voting Underway - Create Finnair Plus Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments Welcome: Voting Underway - Create Finnair Plus Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2007, 8:44 am

Programs: AY, SK, AF/KL + randomly others
I compiled some statistics to demonstrate the development of Finnair-related postings at FlyerTalk, particularly at the Other European Frequent Flyer Programmes forum. The main points that can be drawn from the stats are following:
  1. Number of Finnair-related posts has been growing steadily: doubled in 1.5 year and almost quadrupled in 3 years.
  2. The posting has became more regular – past six months there have always been at least 20 posts in AY-threads
  3. Visibility creates interest

The table below shows the number of posts per semester for past 3 years in the Other European Airlines forum threads that have either word ‘Finnair’ or ‘AY’ in the title. There may be some small discrepancies, as the search function doesn’t work for words with less than 4 characters (hence excluding IATA codes), and I had to add the 'AY'-threads manually by browsing through the forum.

As I was counting backwards from today, a semester is slightly different from actual calendar year. Semester I runs from Jan 11 to Jul 10, and Semester II from Jul 11 to Jan 10 of the following year.

Note that I have deducted the post count of the thread discussing the eventual new forum.

Period................. I/2007 | II/2006 | I/2006 | II/2005 | I/2005 | II/2004
Average posts / month ...37... | ..28... | .33... | ..14... | .13... | .10....
Minimum posts / month ...20... | ...1... | ..8... | ...5... | ..6... | ..0....
Maximum posts / month ..102... | ..65... | .66... | ..28... | .32... | .19....

An overall increase in average monthly posts is clearly visible from the first row of numbers. The second row also shows that the interest on Finnair has became more regular: whilst earlier there used to be long periods (at least month) with very few AY-related posts, this has not been the case any more in past 6 months.

It also seems that discussion creates more discussion, and having the airline’s name visible encourages posting of new questions and information. Since mid-June when the discussion on the FinnairPlus forum first emerged, there has been an even more dramatic increase in post numbers (excluding the discussion about the forum). It would therefore not seem farfetched that an own forum for FinnairPlus would further promote this development.

To illustrate the above point, here is a table that shows the weekly posts (from same data as in the first table) for past two months:

04JUL-10JUL...19
27JUN-03JUL...55
20JUN-26JUN...19
13JUN-19JUN... 4
06JUN-12JUN... 5
30MAY-05JUN... 3
23MAY-29MAY... 6
16MAY-22MAY... 4

I have more data, but I think I'd better keep it simple.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by WIZ
And if there currently is no criteria as jenbel implied, then could someone possibly decide on a new set of rules?
Sorry, WIZ, but I have to disagree with you on this. Each year we have TalkBoard elections (with 5 members being elected one year and 4 the following one). These 9 FTers are elected by the general membership to use their own judgment on such matters.

It is much better to have 9 people, often with 9 different viewpoints, making a collective decision than to follow a cut-and-dried formula -- which while good for one case may be completely wrong for another.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Having read the other 2 page thread & the arguments for/against, I'd support the creation of a Finnair forum. Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 8:57 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
I'd support the creation of a Finnair forum. Might result in less searching around in AA, BA, and OW for experiences. (yep, I'd confess that the last time I needed info. on Finnair, I didn't even think of looking in the "other euro airlines" forum...doh!).
Old Jul 15, 2007, 9:15 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Motion Passed!

On 14 July 2007, the TalkBoard approved 8-1 the following:

Moved by Dovster and seconded by Cholula to

create a forum for Finnair and the discussion of its frequent flyer program.

Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, Dovster, Jenbel, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff, techgirl

Voting no: gleff
Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver

Thanks to the talkboard for approving the creation of a Finnair forum. I look forward to contributing and learning a lot ^
Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:35 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Thank you, TalkBoard!

Cheers,
T.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:24 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Good news. This might result in more discussion of the Finnair Plus program itself (and not only of AY service etc.)
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Great news! Looking forward to both benefiting from and contributing to the AY forum
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:48 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
great to hear that the vote passed, even if it wasn't unanimous
Old Jul 16, 2007, 1:05 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Seeya in the new forum.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 1:36 am

Programs: AY, SK, AF/KL + randomly others
Great news! ^

Hope it will start lively, despite all Finland being closed this month... Most Finns and other Nordic people take their long summer holidays in July, and many go to their summer cottages in the middle of nowhere without internet. I'll be away myself for a week from now (not at a summer gottage, for heavens sake).

Also looking forward to more discussion about FinnairPlus programme itself. See you in the new forum
Old Jul 16, 2007, 3:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, AY Gold, BA Gold, TK Gold, ITA Executive Elite+, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by Pteropous
Great news! ^

Hope it will start lively, despite all Finland being closed this month... Most Finns and other Nordic people take their long summer holidays in July, and many go to their summer cottages in the middle of nowhere without internet. I'll be away myself for a week from now (not at a summer gottage, for heavens sake).

Also looking forward to more discussion about FinnairPlus programme itself. See you in the new forum
Thanks again for all making this happen! A small dream come true!! And yes I'm also off to summer holiday (the sea and cottage (some beer too ) but will post when possible.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 4:48 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I would like to take this opportunity to ask you all to vote for me in the next TalkBoard election, but I can't -- as I won't be running again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.