Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Comments welcome: Voting underway - Travel Destinations - The World reorganization

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments welcome: Voting underway - Travel Destinations - The World reorganization

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2007, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, AY Gold, BA Gold, TK Gold, ITA Executive Elite+, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I have pointed this out in the past -- and been sort of corrected! Take a look at

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479
I'm amazed. This is something totally different (Finland part of Scandinavia) they told me in high school. Even SAS airlines always says Scandinavia and Finland (are they wrong then?). I don't consider myself as a Scandinavian (neither my Finnish friends).

And first time I've heard Estonia would be a part of the Nordic countries. At least in Finland they still say there are five countries included and Estonia is not part of it - they belong to the Baltic countries.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Q400
I'm amazed. This is something totally different (Finland part of Scandinavia) they told me in high school. Even SAS airlines always says Scandinavia and Finland (are they wrong then?). I don't consider myself as a Scandinavian (neither my Finnish friends).

And first time I've heard Estonia would be a part of the Nordic countries. At least in Finland they still say there are five countries included and Estonia is not part of it - they belong to the Baltic countries.
I totally agree with that

Finland is not Scandinavia and Estonia is a Baltic Country

wikipedia shares my point of view:
Scandinavia is a historical and geographical region centered on the Scandinavian Peninsula in Northern Europe and includes the three kingdoms of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. The other Nordic countries, Finland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands, are also sometimes included because of their close historic and cultural relations to Norway, Sweden, and Denmark.
so Nordic Countries would be better ... no doubt about that

The Baltic states refer to Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, all of which were controlled by the Soviet Union during 1940–1941 and 1944/1945–1991
Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:42 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
We should also clarify the Latin America wording mess.

Discussed before here: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646235

In essence, having the word "Latin" in the forum title for "Latin/Central America" doesn't make sense. Latin America encompasses all of Central America, most of the Caribbean and most of South America. I suggest to simply rename the "Latin/Central America" forum to "Central America".

We would slag off airlines' FFP websites where award zones are classified so imprecisely, so we should set our standards for the structure of the forums just as high.

SmilingBoy.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's now been a while and I still find this confusing. It would help a lot if the entries under each continent were indented in the "Forum Jump" list (and highlighted cities indented a bit further). I think that would end my confusion -- and maybe some others too?
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:10 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
I'd like to propose a Space Tourism (or, more accurately, Earth Orbit) subforum. OK, so it's $20M/ticket to date, but all indications are that the price is going to come down real fast, real soon.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 4:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
It's now been a while and I still find this confusing. It would help a lot if the entries under each continent were indented in the "Forum Jump" list (and highlighted cities indented a bit further). I think that would end my confusion -- and maybe some others too?
It's my understanding you can only do this if you make them forums, subforums and sub sub forums of each other - and then it would be a nightmare on the forum listing, as the top level newest thread would be the latest thread in a large number of forums. Personally, I'd be opposed to giving US states forum status, while all other countries in the world don't even qualify for that!
Old Jul 15, 2007, 5:43 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jenbel
It's my understanding you can only do this if you make them forums, subforums and sub sub forums of each other - and then it would be a nightmare on the forum listing, as the top level newest thread would be the latest thread in a large number of forums. Personally, I'd be opposed to giving US states forum status, while all other countries in the world don't even qualify for that!
Ahhh, bummer. I'm still confused when I look at the forum jump list. How about if the continent names were in boldface as sort of bookmarks? Maybe that could be done.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:50 am

It's my understanding you can only do this if you make them forums, subforums and sub sub forums of each other
Don't think this is true. You can have categories like "Airline Programs" as a subcategory of "Miles and Points".

SmilingBoy.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 1:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
But the countries are already at the same level of hierarchy as the airline programmes. And 'Airline Programmes' is at the same level as 'Destination: The World' - so we are already using that level of category. So to indent further, we'd either need to promote the continents to master forum level (at the same level as the 'Airline Programmes' which also means that Australia and Antarctica would become single forum master forums like OMNI), or start making all the countries sub-forums of the continents (except some of the continent forums don't actually exist, so that would be kind of difficult), with cities at the sub-sub forum level (if such a thing exists).
Old Jul 16, 2007, 3:21 am

But the countries are already at the same level of hierarchy as the airline programmes. And 'Airline Programmes' is at the same level as 'Destination: The World' - so we are already using that level of category. So to indent further, we'd either need to promote the continents to master forum level (at the same level as the 'Airline Programmes' which also means that Australia and Antarctica would become single forum master forums like OMNI), or start making all the countries sub-forums of the continents (except some of the continent forums don't actually exist, so that would be kind of difficult), with cities at the sub-sub forum level (if such a thing exists).
Maybe one can have sub-categories?

SmilingBoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.