Wiki Posts
Search

My Suggestion - premium feature benefit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2007, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Plat, Hertz #1 5*, CO, AA
My Suggestion - premium feature benefit

I do apologize if I am not doing this correctly, but after viewing other topics in this category, I felt strong enough to give it a shot.

I proposed this a couple months ago in the suggestions board, which can be found here. My suggestion is as follows:
My suggestion is to maybe have a feature for the premium members that subscribe (and pay a yearly due) to gain access to the coupon section of the forums. I realize that you need 100+ posts in order to gain access, and this was established to discourage people from joining the forums just for that section. However, I think that it would be a nice feature for those who don't have 100 posts yet (or 100 quality posts for that matter) but who like the site a lot and have decided to purchase a premium membership. If you think that this may not be a good suggestion, maybe offer another option such as a subscription to access that board if you don't have 100 posts yet.

Why have I suggested something like this?
Because I'd much rather reply/post when I have something of quality to say rather than some filler post (which wouldn't even deserve a point). I've found this forum to be so helpful for me, decided to get a paid subscription, and will renew in the future. I only have a handful of posts, and these were posted since I first joined, not all in the past 90 days. Will a person like me, who loves this place, contributed (not necessarily through posting, but rather through purchasing), ever get access to CC? Maybe yes maybe no. but it would be a nice perk.

Now, to reference some people who responded to my OP (and sorry if you didn't want to be mentioned):

chexfan: I think SharpDoggy asks a valid and well presented question.

I personally don't know how to properly articulate my response to the suggestion, but it seems that FTers who pay for FTpremium aren't going to be the troublemakers that the "90/90" Policy was designed to keep out. I can completely understand the frustration of FTers who have made the financial commitmment to FlyerTalkPremium but don't have access to all of its forums.

Mikel at Webflyer: Interesting idea ... thanks for the input.

oklAAhoma: Agreed. And not only do I understand the OP's point of view on the issue, I appreciate the respect s/he has shown for FT. Rather than frivolously running up her/his post count, the OP is playing by the rules and patiently waiting her/his turn. Seems to me that's exactly the type of member that deserves access to all of FT.

That all being said, I'll like to conclude by agreeing with what oklAAhoma said. I have a huge respect for the people here at FT, the noobs like me as well as the elite who make this board so strong. You wont see me posting for the sake of running up my post count. My turn will come when it comes. I just ask for all to consider what I've mentioned.

edited after original post: Also, my belief is that this suggestion that I propose here could be compared to the current reasoning for the 90/90 policy for access to CC. What's the purpose of that policy? To keep away the individuals who come to this board just to spam, or get the coupons, etc. Purchasing a subscription, at least in my opinion, shows that the individual does respect, and does care about the image of FT.

Thank you,
Michael

Last edited by SharpDoggy; Jan 27, 2007 at 4:12 pm Reason: added to post
Old Jan 27, 2007, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SharpDoggy
Purchasing a subscription, at least in my opinion, shows that the individual does respect, and does care about the image of FT.[/I]
I'm not sure paying $12 means someone shows respect or cares about FT.

The reason I understand CC to be closed for members under 90/90 is so they can participate in the miles and points discussions on Flyertalk, which is it's core purpose. I also could see some possible legal issues when you start indirectly charging people to enter a coupon trading forum.

At least with the current setup, the member has established themselves and has a traceable history (as posts) instead of someone with zero posts who spent $12.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I think I have seen Randy post before that CC is a sort of bonus arriving to members who have contributed a small amount (not money but posts) to the FT core mission - miles and points.

Seems a wise and sensible premise to me.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 9:38 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by ozstamps
I think I have seen Randy post before that CC is a sort of bonus arriving to members who have contributed a small amount (not money but posts) to the FT core mission - miles and points.

Seems a wise and sensible premise to me.
Totally agree with this... I would like to see everyone pay for the premium service (no ads) that Randy offers... I am sure all of us have saved more than the $12 it costs... but would be against giving someone automatic entrance to CC.

William
Old Jan 28, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Paid entry

I am a newbie in all senses of the word. I understand the desire to be able to access all areas of Flyertalk but I also believe that one should earn their status. I will not quickly meet the requirements for all areas but in the time that it will take I will have read many useful posts in other areas. I would not change the requirements. There are no quick fixes for gathering info.

Thank you for all the wonderful info and insights you share with us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.