Search

Subforum Proposal for the Mileage Run forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Dont change a thing

I prefer one thread, one voice, regardless of airline and hotel deal

over the course of time, this really has not been an issue.. there are other issues on this board that need your time before this issue does
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:46 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by civicmon
Definately should get back to the roots.

This is something I've wanted for a while, esp. a "discussion only" subforum. That way, those who know, are involved or care can go to that forum to view any threads in there.

If you got the fare, you'll know where the main discussion thread is.

Also, the hotel deals should have a seperate forum as well, even if combining the two.
Agree. MR way too cluttered with hotel deals that, while a great price, do not earn points/stay credit for the most part. A subforum idea as is being tested with the AC forum/Westjet subforum an elegant solution to a pressing problem, at least IMHO.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:25 pm

My vote goes to put the hotel deals in a separate forum. I am getting so sick of seeing these hotel deals at places where I would never, ever stay.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
I strongly support the creation of a separate subforum for hotel deals that aren't related to attaining status and for expired airfare discussions.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 6:40 am
Used to be "PortalGuy"

Programs: BEA, Piedmont, ValuJet, Braniff, People Express, JetsGo, Capitol, TWA, Eastern, Allegheny, Ozark
Wink I like your proposed taxonomy

Your idea would increase the number of useful threads about mileage runs that are visible in each page.

In the future you may want to consider a seperate subforum for 'Fare Gone' topics that somehow get lots of posts.

I am curious,

1. why do MR threads about MR deals on airlines sometimes get moved to the airline forums;

2. if I click on the Free Laptop popup that comes with this web site, do I really get a free laptop

Cheers,
Rob in NYC
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diana
My vote goes to put the hotel deals in a separate forum. I am getting so sick of seeing these hotel deals at places where I would never, ever stay.
Ahh, and it goes back to the old mantra of "If you don't want to read it, don't click on it"...

Originally Posted by fzwinter
I strongly support the creation of a separate subforum for hotel deals that aren't related to attaining status and for expired airfare discussions.
Although this may be against the raison d'etre of the Mileage Run forum, but what about a subforum for airfare that doesn't accrue miles?

It seems like there are two paths FT could follow. AND an important decision to be made... does it go down the path of "Cheap Fare" threads? Or does it stick to it's roots w/ fares and rates for the sake of earning miles?

Based on that last thought, I think there may be 3 options.

A chexfan Plan

OPTION 1- broken into trips for mileage purposes or not.
Mileage Run- Discussion of trip itineraries designed solely for gaining maximum miles and/or points for no other reason than to gain the miles and/or points.
Cheap Fares & Rates- Discussion of cheap trips not for the sake of accruing miles.
Fare Gone & Meta Discussion

OPTION 2- broken into airfare or hotel forums, mileage earning or not.
Head for the Skies- discussion of cheap, or lower than usual, airfares
Sleeping Inn- discussion of cheap, or lower than usual, hotel rates
(this option also allows for sub-forums under "Head for the Skies" and "Sleeping Inn" to be created... point-earning or not. BUT I assume that would just add WAY too much messiness and confusion)

OPTION 3
Mileage Run stays as it is
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PortalGuy
1. why do MR threads about MR deals on airlines sometimes get moved to the airline forums
Could you provide an example of this? If so, we may be able to explain. Generally, when a moderator moves a thread, there is a reason why we do it & we usually do post on the thread the reasoning. Sometimes, when we move threads into airline specific fora, its because the original poster (the OP) has asked a question about airline policy or something that isn't really mileage run specific, but moreso airline specific and they may be able to get better answers to their questions in the specific airline forum than they would in the mileage run forum.

Hope that helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

bhatnasx
Mileage Run Moderator
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
If some non-loyalty program generic airline offered a $10 fare from Waukegan to Ipsilanti, should it be posted in the MR forum? Same question regarding a $2 rate at a Navajo hiker hostel in Tuba City, Arizona. If the deal involves points/miles/loyalty status earning opportunities then it belongs in MR, otherwise no thank you.

Personally I'd prefer to see the MR forum split into a Mileage Run forum and a Mattress Run forum, with any "Rate/Fare Gone" threads moved to a "Rate/Fare Gone" subforum.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 2:58 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
I am fond of both bhatnasx's original proposal and the mileage run / mattress run split.

I would not advocate creating another forum (or a subforum) for "airfare deals" -- as I've said before, we all have our own definitions of what constitutes a good "mileage run," I think the we should keep all airfares in one forum rather than expect each poster to assess whether or not their fares "mileage run forum worthy" or not.

I actually like the simplicity of Chexfan Plan #2 as well, but I imagine it's not high on MR purists' lists, and I expect it might lead to more fatwalletesque types as well.

Last edited by snorkmaster; Jan 13, 2006 at 3:03 am
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by SlowTrekker
If some non-loyalty program generic airline offered a $10 fare from Waukegan to Ipsilanti, should it be posted in the MR forum? Same question regarding a $2 rate at a Navajo hiker hostel in Tuba City, Arizona. If the deal involves points/miles/loyalty status earning opportunities then it belongs in MR, otherwise no thank you.

Personally I'd prefer to see the MR forum split into a Mileage Run forum and a Mattress Run forum, with any "Rate/Fare Gone" threads moved to a "Rate/Fare Gone" subforum.
I favor the 2 separate forum suggestion with a sub-forum for the dead/discussion only threads. As stated in several posts, we all have a different definition of MR and different triggers for actually embarking upon one. There have been several occassions when a cheap hotel deal caused me to take a flight and vice/versa.

As for LEMEX's threads, I say more power to him!! I've been tempted by more than one of his posts, although I have to admit I've never actually booked a stay.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The Mileage Run forum has become a "portal" where all like minds come for a variety of reasons: cheap airfare for a mileage run, hotel deals for a mileage run, gather other FTers together when making a mileage run, etc.etc. There is nothing more exciting than 40 people getting in on that SIN mileage run and discussing it as it materializes! It does makes sense however, to have sub-forums to sort out the topics. Maybe there would be (as some other posters suggested) Mileage Run-Air deals, Mileage Run-Hotel deals, Mileage run discussion (fare gone ), Mileage run-hook ups.
I like going to one forum for everything I want to hear (or say) about mileage runs but it's getting busy and maybe it's time to break down the topics.
So break them down, that's my vote. Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Too many forums is a bad thing. I like keeping Mileage Run in one place.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 5:45 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by bigbrownboy
Huge cheers to this proposal! I've only been around for a year, but I've definitely noticed the developing chaos...this would go a long way in helping to manage it.
I disagree -- as long as the forum is organized with the messages sorted by when they were posted the current information bubbles to the top.

If I were going to split things I'd do:

1. Flights
2. Hotels
3. Obsolete flight messages
4. Obsolete hotel messages

It would mean quite a bit of work for the moderators unless there's an automatic time limit method of moving messages to the obsolete section.

Bob H
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw that the motion passed for:
a Hotel Deals subforum be created in the Mileage Run forum for discussion of hotel deals condusive to "mattress running" as well as pricing glitches and lowest price guarantees.
^

But since Mileage Run will be for airfare and Mattress Run will be for hotels, shouldn't it be a subforum of "Miles&Points"? i.e.
Miles&Points
-Mileage Run
-Mattress Run

and NOT
Miles&Points
-Mileage Run
--Mattress Run
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Sorry not to get to this a couple of hours ago, I just posted another vote which was rejecting the creation of a standalone Mattress Run forum. What was voted for was a Mileage Run subforum for hotel deals. Some TalkBoard members may wish to dialogue on their reasons for preferring this option (and two members may want to articulate why they agree with your formulation!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.